Oct 15, 2007, 10:42 PM
Eagle Butte User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Driver
There are a couple wing designs parameters that you can use to help the wing roll axially over a broader speed range. The wing that I've been flying on my VS Rotor derivatives are slightly different than Ken's original design, the intent was to make the roll axial over a wider speed range...
And indeed you did select a great airfoil for the Rotor. I can vouch for the nice axial rolls and mine can fly in fairly light lift even with its 25 oz. wing loading.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2007, 10:44 PM
Obsessed
Jay, I have a CR Turbo fuse and a set of the DS4 cores. For all the reasons you mentioned, I want to build the ship as a pitcheron. Does the DS4 perform well in that capacity, or should I spend time on an articulated elevator?

Thanks,
Dominic
Last edited by Screamin' Eagle; Oct 15, 2007 at 10:50 PM.
Oct 15, 2007, 11:49 PM
Again ?!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
On the Sushi, about 10-12 Degrees each side of center makes for more than enough deflection. I'll post a pic in a bit here...
Thanks Hutch, Wow that is alot more than I expected
Oct 15, 2007, 11:56 PM
Slopeaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcas
Thanks Hutch, Wow that is alot more than I expected
You can get by on a lot less, and I rarely use even close to all of it...just on those drill bit rolls. You slow down pretty quick when you bang all of that in at once.

-hutch
Oct 16, 2007, 08:05 AM
Knowledge increases life's FOV
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
Jay, I have a CR Turbo fuse and a set of the DS4 cores. For all the reasons you mentioned, I want to build the ship as a pitcheron. Does the DS4 perform well in that capacity, or should I spend time on an articulated elevator?
Dominic,

Never flown a CR Turbo, but I'm confident the the Turbo had good lighter air performance at the weight and with airfoil on the original Turbo. Changing the airfoil to the DS4 would require a little higher minimum airspeed and little more lift, but it would be faster and more fun and would not be the original CR Turbo. Before you make it a pitcheron, you might want to check to see how much fuselage you'd have left after making the "smile" cuts in the fuselage sides that will accommodate 10 to 15 degrees of wing deflection in each direction. You don't need more than 10 degrees of throw in each direction, but I don't think go much less than 10 degrees either.

Most of the VS Rotor pitcheron derivatives that I've been flying use the DS4 airfoil. I set them up initially for 15 degrees max aileron deflection and about 10 degrees of elevator deflection. At 40'ish ounces this combination thermals like a mother when the air cycles and scoots when it blowing, up to about 40 mph when it then time to change to sleds.
Last edited by Sled Driver; Oct 28, 2007 at 09:44 PM.
Oct 16, 2007, 09:37 AM
Slopeaholic
Jay, do you change the chord, and sweep of your rotor wings as well or do you just keep that stock? I want to build a set for my V-Max kit...which technically would make it a V-Max Plus. I have a set of Rotor plans being shipped to me so unless you have any improvements to suggest I'll go off those. Might have to build myself an old fashioned wood rotor fuse as well!!

-hutch
Oct 16, 2007, 02:01 PM
I'm flying my first pitcheron - the Airtech Pixel - absolutely loving it!

Zim
Oct 16, 2007, 04:33 PM
PNF
My buddy has a Pixel, what a great flyer. Carves turns, flies in light lift.... just a LITTLE hard to slow down for landing.
Oct 16, 2007, 04:39 PM
Obsessed
Pixel was my first twisty wing plane and my third crunchy. It led to a long list of other TWFs like the Shrike, Mach One, Contender, etc. It flies great and light but doesn't retain energy as well as some of the rest. It was a supreme deal at the $225 they used to be sold for, though. Fully sheeted wings and vtails (airfoiled, nonetheless) and a complete hardware package. I'd probably buy another if I could.
Oct 16, 2007, 08:20 PM
Knowledge increases life's FOV
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
Jay, do you change the chord, and sweep of your rotor wings as well or do you just keep that stock? I want to build a set for my V-Max kit...which technically would make it a V-Max Plus. I have a set of Rotor plans being shipped to me so unless you have any improvements to suggest I'll go off those. Might have to build myself an old fashioned wood rotor fuse as well!!

-hutch
Hutch,

Without big long explanation here's what I'm doing for Rotor wings: 1) stock DS4 airfoil at the root, 2) thinned DS4 with a little more camber at the tip (a little aerodynamic washout), 3) wing joiner tube installed at the airfoil high point, 4) original Rotor root and tip chords and swift tip shape (so that it looks like a Rotor), 5) the joiner is installed so that the top of the wing is flat or with a degree of dihedral, and 6) the high point of the wing sweeps forward a little (can't remember how much).

Rolls axially without differential control, has good stall characteristics, and has a pretty good top end.
Oct 16, 2007, 08:57 PM
PNF
re#2 - foil on the tips
Sled - what % extra washout would you say you have?

jus wondering
Oct 16, 2007, 09:14 PM
Slopeaholic
Mr Pimp,

The "washout" is the increased camber airfoil at the tip. It's kind of like airplane magic.

-hutch

Thanks for the 411 Jay!!! Off to the template factory.
Oct 17, 2007, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
Pixel was my first twisty wing plane and my third crunchy. It led to a long list of other TWFs like the Shrike, Mach One, Contender, etc. It flies great and light but doesn't retain energy as well as some of the rest. It was a supreme deal at the $225 they used to be sold for, though. Fully sheeted wings and vtails (airfoiled, nonetheless) and a complete hardware package. I'd probably buy another if I could.
Hey buddy - nice one! Can you remember what sort of diff you ended up with on yours? Currently mine has a little too much, but it does make for a really fast turnaround as it pulls the nose down and in nicely in a quick turn...

As far as landing goes - I haven't experienced a problem yet, mainly because I've only flown the once in pretty decent wind, so landing was easy enough with a 30-40mph headwind.

Z
Oct 17, 2007, 08:20 PM
Eagle Butte User
Jay,

In reference to the pics you uploaded in post 10, is there any disadvantage to just drilling holes in the end of the cores for the joiner tubes vs. the open slots you cut in yours? I ask because with the open slot additional epoxy is needed to fill in for the missing foam cut out. I am not sure if you are doing it this way for ease/convenience or strength.

Thxs,

Vic
Oct 17, 2007, 08:33 PM
Detail Freak
How can you do it that way, Vic?

I would think that you pretty much need a sub rib to support the tube and transfer the load to the skin; at the very least, I would think you'd want something solid above and below the tube, tying it spanwise to the skins. Something like either epoxy or wood?

Maybe I didn't understand what you mean, though?

T

Quick Reply