Mar 31, 2007, 08:20 PM
Knowledge increases life's FOV
Thread OP
Build Log

TWF Build Orgy

READ THIS BEFORE YOU REPLY TO THIS THREAD

This is a build thread that is intended to share information and enthusiasm for pitcheron and wingeron slope airplanes.

If you have a question, suggestion, or comment, please feel free to contribute to the thread. I would like to keep the discussion on point so that someone could get through the thread and glean its content readily.

I am not an expert builder and I have only been flying slope regularly a few years. I am always looking for ways to improve my planes. So, I whole heartedly welcome suggestions and alternative ways of doing things.

Last thing, I do not sell these airplanes. So, please do not ask – I do not have time to build all my planes. You might run across someone with who has a fuse or wings that I have built for them, but I have done so in trade for something that I wanted.

Jay Decker
Kennewick, WA
Last edited by Sled Driver; Mar 31, 2007 at 11:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2007, 08:25 PM
Thread OP
orgy: excessive indulgence in something especially to satisfy an inordinate appetite or craving

predilection:
an attitude of mind that predisposes one to favor something

Over the past few years I have developed a predilection for wingeron and pitcheron planes, what is commonly referred to on RCGroups as the Twisty Wing Fetish (TWF). Today I crashed my Ultron , so I need to indulge in a TWF build orgy to satisfy my craving. Someday I should learn how to fly…

I plan to update this thread every week, or possibly a little more often, since I need to get a couple planes done for the 6-pac and spending time on the computer does not help get the planes built.
Last edited by Sled Driver; Jun 08, 2007 at 09:24 AM.
Mar 31, 2007, 08:31 PM
Thread OP
While crashing the Ultron sucked, the Ultron's end brings a new beginning. Fortunately, I have cleared a lot of the other kits and planes from shop and have a few freshly laid fuselages. I am not sure what I get done in the next couple months, but I have JARTeron, Shrike, Rotor, Xica, and V-max for choices, which are all very good choices.

Next update should be foam cores and foam core prep.
Mar 31, 2007, 08:54 PM
Free as a bird now.
Dang, that hurt's. It looks like you realy pounded in that Ultron. How did it happen?

BTW: The fuse looks easily repairable. Wouldn't be too hard to build a new set of wings...
Mar 31, 2007, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Courtice
Dang, that hurt's. It looks like you realy pounded in that Ultron. How did it happen?

BTW: The fuse looks easily repairable. Wouldn't be too hard to build a new set of wings...

We had good conditions on Eagle Butte today. I had the face of the hill to myself for a few minutes and was pumping it close to the hill and rolling it on the up legs. Went for one to many rolls, gave it down, but it was stalled, and the wind blew it back over the hill before it was flying again and I could pull it out, which is a long winded way of say that I screwed up...

Yea, the fuse repairable, but like I seem do with all my planes that I crash... it will spend some time standing in the corner for a while before I forgive it and put it back together.
Apr 01, 2007, 12:08 AM
Free as a bird now.
I have a very heavy build Xica that needs some minor work. Maybe I should get it ready for the 6 pack. I was looking forward to flying Ultrons with you, but I guess we could do Xicas iinstead.
Apr 01, 2007, 02:53 AM
F5j -F3j-F3F - What to Fly?
Brian, I'll have my Ultron at the 6P and Jay can fly it with you.

It will still happen.
May 28, 2007, 07:39 PM
Jomach1
Jay. You get air like all of us dream about and wish we could fly in and it is the most dangerous for our airplanes to fly in. I dont think that you can build to much better than you do to keep the carnage down. I think as a builder it is part that keeps you going back to the building table with new ideas and plans to make something better or different for the next time you fly in intense air and you get the speeeed fix or just a great flying hour or two. Keep up the building and if the ground is the only thing that will break you plane you dont need to change how you are building the planes. Joe
May 28, 2007, 10:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomach1
Jay. You get air like all of us dream about and wish we could fly in and it is the most dangerous for our airplanes to fly in. I dont think that you can build to much better than you do to keep the carnage down. I think as a builder it is part that keeps you going back to the building table with new ideas and plans to make something better or different for the next time you fly in intense air and you get the speeeed fix or just a great flying hour or two. Keep up the building and if the ground is the only thing that will break you plane you dont need to change how you are building the planes. Joe

Interesting point... I'm relatively new to slope flying and I feel that I'm still on the learning curve. I fly in big air a lot, simply because it is there. My predilection is toward the fast end of the slope ride spectrum. I crash a hot ride or two each year, which is probably pretty good for my type of flying... cool, thanks Joe.
Oct 14, 2007, 10:08 PM
Slopeaholic
That looks like a very fun build pile! How does your joiner jig work?
Oct 14, 2007, 10:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
That looks like a very fun build pile! How does your joiner jig work?
The base is jig is a piece of thin plywood. The two spacers are attached to base an inch and a half apart. Brass tubes are attached to the spacers at specific height. Joiner rods run through brass tubes and the joiner tubes that go into the cores are placed on the joiner rods. The tubes are pushed through the root ribs and the glued into the cores five-minute epoxy. When the epoxy sets the cavities above and below the tubes are filled microballoons and epoxy. Once the microballoons have set, the filler is sanded to shape.
Oct 14, 2007, 10:51 PM
Detail Freak
I have another (to remain nameless) TWF kit to build. As designed, it's 2M, and a v-tail pitcheron.

Here's my question for Jay-
I'm thinking of making the plane wingeron instead, with the v-tails being articulated.
I'm thinking of using TWO tail servos, and having rudder available...

Any thoughts on this, Jay? Pros/Cons?

There should be plenty of room in the fuse to do this.

Thanks,
Target
Oct 15, 2007, 12:12 AM
Will fly for food
OMG 7 months need to start planning
Oct 15, 2007, 12:20 AM
F5j -F3j-F3F - What to Fly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
OMG 7 months need to start planning
I almost finished repairiring everything from the last 6p.

Jay is right , time to get started building for the next one.

Quick Reply