Mar 31, 2007, 02:59 PM
VNE ? I bite my thumb at thee
Thread OP
Build Log

Charlesworth Ka3 cnc short kit

Hi Folks,

well, here as promised is the first in the series of Charlesworth plans to be made available (all being well) by the good fellows at Fellside Precision CNC (Graham and Adrian).

Not too much to tell right now, just some pics to whet your appetite, all the cnc work is immaculate. Even down to ultra thin ply re-inforcing gussets.

Hopefully the pics speak for themselves, I am happy to answer any and all questions and will be providing build instructions as I go - first step is to work out what strip and sheet I need to get started - this thread will help to keep tabs on that aspect.

Please feel free to ask anything relevant within the thread or PM me.
Graham's website is http://www.fellsideprecisioncutting.co.uk/ please go and see what other marvellous stuff he makes.
Last edited by stinkyfive; Mar 31, 2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: url for fellside
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2007, 03:32 PM
MTT
MTT
I care about rising air !
VERY NICE !!!!

If I didn't have a cnc-modellbauctechnik Ka-1 kit sitting in my shop, I would get one of these...
Mar 31, 2007, 05:31 PM
CNC Cutting
Hi

Nice to see the parts arrived ok.

The pictures look great and show what is included very well.

I am looking forward to watching this model grow into a great flying replica. Cliff will be happy I`m sure that one of his designs will be giving you a lot of building and flying fun.

Keep up the good work

Graham
Mar 31, 2007, 05:44 PM
MTT
MTT
I care about rising air !
What scale is it ?
Mar 31, 2007, 09:37 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT
What scale is it ?

1/4 I believe......
Apr 01, 2007, 12:03 AM
Keep off the Grass!!

An Appetising Spread!

Stinky5 Photo Quote <...these parts hold upper parts of the jig properly true for ultra-precise wing joiner alignment - a lot of thought has gone into this.>

Helluva lot of Carling too!

Nice dining table, but is it flat enough to bolt the jig to? Better have it wiped over first

Some of the jig's bulkhead cradles have full width "straps". Need a packet of little screws & nuts really. Cocktail sticks secure the supports to the cradles. The idea of the "prongs" under the forward bulkheads is to help with the skid structure. Then you chop 'em orf!....see if it works.

I will await the discovery of the first errors so that I can spin up a suitable denial and buck-passing scheme!!

Ade
Apr 01, 2007, 03:00 AM
CNC Cutting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Britton
I will await the discovery of the first errors so that I can spin up a suitable denial and buck-passing scheme!!

Ade
It was`t me. I just cut what I`m given

Elliot

Don't forget the jig self destructs one week after the model is complete. This is stop a "grey" market for Ka3 jigs starting up on e-bay

Graham
Apr 01, 2007, 05:19 AM
Thread OP

jiggery pokery

The Tate Modern have already made me an offer I'm finding hard to refuse....
Apr 01, 2007, 05:42 AM
Keep off the Grass!!

E-Bay lost out, then?

Well, just lend it to them.... for now

I've just redrawn the parts in a tasteful mahogmanay, ash, spruce, walnut and a tweak ensemble for Graham to arrange in a vase

You'd get a better offer if you left it bolted to the table though!

Now start using the thing before it warps!!

Ade
Apr 01, 2007, 05:09 PM
Ay up it's warped
"the jig self destructs"

Your mission if you choose to accept it

Fellside does do a nice job of cutting it, fine. I'm watching
Apr 01, 2007, 07:24 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Elliot........billgates....ie: the antichrist has got to go! Anything else would be fine but trying to read your messages with the "darklord" shaking his piehole holder at me just plain gives me the "willies"! ......back to the build....looking forward to seeing some progress and the possibility of a 1/3rd scale version....
Apr 02, 2007, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
Hi all,

sorry, no progress just yet, hectic times are these....

I'm ordering the strip and sheet tomorrow as I'm not at work and will get the jig properly assembled for photies.
Building board is currently bunged up with a baudis banana which I must finish before all else, as I NEED to go fly it in all this wonderful windy/sunny weather we're having.

SZD - Bill is on his way out, will find a more suitable avatar asap.

Evening all.

Ell.
Apr 02, 2007, 05:34 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfive
SZD - Bill is on his way out, will find a more suitable avatar asap.
Thanks! He's just creepy!
Apr 03, 2007, 03:19 PM
Thread OP

at last some progress !

Right,

bought some MDF window board from Wickes - I prefer particle board for this kinda thing, it's formed so has no grain to warp. Straight as a die.

Fixed the base bits (both of them) to the board, using some 12lb fishing line to ensure exact straightness - there are tiny holes along the centreline thoughtfully provided.

Started fixing in the jig pieces, some drop in easily, others need some convincing - this is probably due to slight variations in the thickness of the ply more than anything else, a quick dose of sanding ensures a snug fit.

Incidently - the banana is nearly done now

a coupla pics and more tomorrow hopefully.

Ell.
Apr 03, 2007, 04:11 PM
Hi,
How much is the short kit? Shipping to US?
THanks,
Ray

Quick Reply