Mar 29, 2007, 09:10 AM
K4UAV
Thread OP
Discussion

Saw an interesting plane today, Piaggio Avanti P180

I was taking my son to school today when at 0905 I heard a strange noise above. It was a pusher twin with a canard. However, unlike the canards I am used to seeing above me, such as LongEZ, VariEz, Berkut, etc. this one had high aspect ratio wings. I quick search on the net and I found that the Piaggio Avanti P180 looked most like it. A few more minutes of searching and I had proof it was Piaggio that I saw:

( from http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/P180 )

N152SL P180 Kendall Tamiami Executive (KTMB) Auburn Opelika Robert G Pitts (KAUO) Thu 09:00AM EDT Thu 09:57AM CDT 01:49

I would really like to make a model of this aircraft. Has anyone ever seen a kit of this? I have built many kits before, but I have never done a scratch build. Any thoughts?

Thanks

-dave
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2007, 09:23 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
Simprop made a kit but it's very rare and costs about $300 new if your lucky enough to find one. I found one on a total whim and will build it soon,possibly in time for SEFF. Godd luck,i'll take some pics of it tonight after work,I love this plane
Mar 29, 2007, 09:47 AM
K4UAV
Thread OP
Yes, please do take some pics! I see Hobby Lobby used to carry it, but not any more
-dave
Mar 29, 2007, 11:50 AM
We have one of those that flies in and out of a local airport, (PIE). They are annoyingly loud. We are several miles out on the flight path and get airliners and even Coast Guard C-130s flying over daily. The Piaggio is louder than anything except the two privately owned F-104 Starfighters that are based there. I would imagine they are not particularly welcome at airports with noise abatement issues.

sp
Mar 29, 2007, 11:54 AM
I was standing next to Mike Hines at the Hobby Lobby Fun Day last Thursday and one of these flew right over our heads in Nashville. Mike commented that HL used to carry the Simprop model. Plane was super loud with the pusher turboprops.

Jon.
Mar 29, 2007, 11:56 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
dalbert, soon I will enlarge some plans I have in a old MAN mag. and cut it out of depron,I'll happily send you one also for the cost of shipping. I'm planning on taking my Storm Launcher apart to use the electronics from it in the P180,so around 35" ws to 40",should work great with the stuff and Walmart is selling the SL for $35.00,i just wired a 2 cell 1050 into the battery wires instead of buying a stock batt. I'll show you the article tonight after work also,I plan to get the plans blown up first though.
Mar 29, 2007, 11:58 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
my kit actually came from a HL employee that put it on clearance in Texas,so shipping was like $30
Mar 29, 2007, 01:38 PM
RCAPA #005
As stated- those things are LOUD. One used to fly over my house near Dulles airport in VA... loudest plane I ever heard in that area.
Mar 29, 2007, 03:00 PM
IWC
IWC
They are very loud. Saw demo at the Troy/Clawson airport located in Oakland County, MI.
Mar 29, 2007, 06:03 PM
3d and EDF, some scale
took the plan to get blown up tonight,will pick it up tommorow. I'll take the Simprop kit pics later on tonight,after i figure out how to ship a large plane I have
Mar 29, 2007, 06:37 PM
Neophyte hacker
From the looks of it they put small props on it, for ground clearance issues maybe? That means they have to spin fast, tips go supersonic and make the noise? Just guessing.

Reminds me of the Rutan/Beech/Raytheon Starship.

charlie
Mar 29, 2007, 09:20 PM
Electric Coolhunter
The Avanti has a mid wing with lots of ground clearance, so the props are not unusually small in diameter.

I have seen a couple of them in the air after takeoff and noted that they were a little louder than some contemporaries, but not objectionably loud. I thought the sound was pretty cool.

I sure don't see it looking ANYTHING like a Beech Starship, except for the fact they are both pushers. The Avanti is not a true canard...it is a three surface aircraft. The Avanti walks off and leaves the Starship in the dust, with the Avanti having 10-15% better performance from the same engines.

I bet part of the noise issue is the turbine exhaust reflecting off the 5 bladed prop.

Or, it simply has the bad luck to be the Zagi of the full scale world...

My Simprop Avanti kit is safely tucked away for future use....

I got an extensive tour of one of the Avanti aircraft at Farnborough 2000. It was one of the Ferrari corporate birds with a red stripe and a dancing horse on the tail.......beautiful.

For lots of Avanti pics, visit http://www.airliners.net and do a photo search.

dalbert02, there is a kit review on Ezone from 3 years back.
Mar 29, 2007, 09:47 PM
Neophyte hacker
Yes, it is different than the starship. It just reminds me of it, pusher with canards. There are several planes that can outperform the Starship
Mar 29, 2007, 10:13 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Yes, it is different than the starship. It just reminds me of it, pusher with canards. There are several planes that can outperform the Starship
True enough, but none do it with such amazing looks and style.

The comparision is pretty fair, as they are both turbine pushers that use the same powerplants.

The poor Starship was a victim of an overcautious FAA that was not sure how to certify a composite airframe back then. It ended up badly overweight, sucking the promised performance right out of it.
Mar 30, 2007, 12:36 AM
RCAPA #005
It's sad to see all the Starships retired and being parted out...
Quote:
Or, it simply has the bad luck to be the Zagi of the full scale world
Now THAT is some funny stuff. The one that passed over my house was about the same time every day- corporate bird or 'high end' commuter I suppose. It's really the only plane I could hear inside the house even though I lived near the airport.

Quick Reply