Nov 09, 2009, 12:20 PM
Saelig had commented:
> ...we offer terrific support for Rigol scopes <

And that leads me to ask, how do you handle warranty claims on Rigol scopes? Do you:

a) locate and repair problems in-house, returning the repaired unit to the owner

b) replace defective units with a new one, or

c) replace defective units with repaired units from previous owners

d) ship the defective unit off to China and await a return

e) none of the above

Thanks for letting us know how you handle Rigol support. I have some followup questions, but I'll avoid bombarding you with them, and give you some time to digest this one.

- Mark
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2009, 12:34 PM
About dimlow's deleted postings, I had written:
> All that's left are "Complements of Mark O", which I can only hope was meant in a positive way. <

One can never be sure, but I'm starting to think maybe not so much. Along with the missing discussions, the attachments with the updated firmware, and the instuctional PDF on how to do the updates are also gone. Perhaps they disappeared automatically, along with the message contents, but this is beginning to look more like someone disgruntled taking their marbles and going home.

dimlow, please correct me if I am wrong. And feel free to replace the ZIP and PDF.

- Mark
Nov 09, 2009, 02:54 PM
BTW: Did anyone keep a copy of the 00.02.02 firmware which dimlow posted? I'd like to have a look at it to search for undocumented SCPI commands. I already did this for a firmware file for a DS1000C series scope and I found some interesting commands. (For example, did you know that the scope counts the number of times it was switched on?)

However, not all these commands work with the DS1000E series, so I'd like to have a firmware file for that series, too.

PS: Mark_O, thanks for the explanation of the slow scan mode and for all postings in this thread in general.
Nov 09, 2009, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_O View Post
About dimlow's deleted postings, I had written:
> All that's left are "Complements of Mark O", which I can only hope was meant in a positive way. <

One can never be sure, but I'm starting to think maybe not so much. Along with the missing discussions, the attachments with the updated firmware, and the instuctional PDF on how to do the updates are also gone. Perhaps they disappeared automatically, along with the message contents, but this is beginning to look more like someone disgruntled taking their marbles and going home.

dimlow, please correct me if I am wrong. And feel free to replace the ZIP and PDF.

- Mark
Maybe you should of been more nice to Dimlow instead of clever ass comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmxmx View Post
BTW: Did anyone keep a copy of the 00.02.02 firmware which dimlow posted?
Yeah I got a copy of the firmware for the Rigol DS1102E and DS1052E and LA versions of the scopes. Cannot upload it though. No idea how to do it.
Cheers.
Last edited by Dynomo; Nov 09, 2009 at 04:40 PM.
Nov 09, 2009, 06:40 PM
mxmxmx asked:
> Did anyone keep a copy of the 00.02.02 firmware which dimlow posted? <

I did, though I have neither a 1000E or 1000D. However, I no longer have the original ZIP of a RAR of a RAR. I stripped all the layers off, and simply put all the files into a single ZIP, which I will attach. I also renamed it DS1000, rather than DS100, and changed the version # from 00.02.02 to 02.02.02, which is what I found inside the binary images.

> For example, did you know that the scope counts the number of times it was switched on? <

Yes, however I didn't know there was a command to access that information. How about PowerOn-Hours? That would be cool to know.

> ...thanks for the explanation of the slow scan mode and for all postings in this thread in general. <

You're welcome. Unfortunately, apparently not everyone agrees they are worthwhile.

Dynomo wrote:
> Maybe you should of been more nice to Dimlow instead of clever ass comments? <

Wow. OK. Perhaps I should have. Though after reviewing what I wrote, I failed to detect the clever ass comments, nor do I see where I was not nice. If I inadvertently offended him (or you), I apologize. That was not my objective.

- Mark
Nov 09, 2009, 06:55 PM
Dynomo commented:
> Cannot upload it though. No idea how to do it. <

It's fairly easy. Just hit the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of a Quick Reply window. That will make an "Additional Options" box appear below. Click "Manage Attachments" and you'll get a pop-up window where you can upload files from your PC. Max ZIP size is 3 MB, but you can select as many as you like.

Once you've built your list of files, click the "Upload" button, and they'll be transported to the Forum's attachment repository. You can also attach comments to them, as you like, but be sure if you do that, afterwards you click on the "Update" button. You can then close the Manage Attachments window.

- Mark
Nov 10, 2009, 02:56 PM

Hidden commands

Now here are the undocumented commands for a Rigol DS1000E I found while inspecting the firmare:

Code:
:CHANNEL:ACTIVE?
Returns which channel is active, i.e. will be affected when changing the vertical scale or position.

:CHANNEL:ACTIVE CHANNEL1
Makes channel 1 the active channel

:DISPLAY:SCREEN?
:DISPLAY:SCREEN INVERTED
:DISPLAY:SCREEN NORMAL
With these commands the screen can be inverted and changed back to normal.

:SYSTEM:DATA?
Returns 112 bytes of data.

:IO:TEST ECHO
Returns the data passed to the command ("ECHO" in this case).

:WAVEFORM:DATA? XY
Returns 2048 bytes of data.
:WAVEFORM:DATA? ROLL
Returns 2048 bytes of data.
:WAVEFORM:MEMORYDATA?
Maybe a synonym for ":WAVEFORM:DATA?"?
:WAVEFORM:POINTS:MODE MAXIMUM
Allows to read entire memory contents with ":WAVEFORM:DATA?" when the acquisition is stopped. See posting below for more information.
:WAVEFORM:POINTS:MODE NORMAL
Switches back to "normal" mode where ":WAVEFORM:DATA?" returns only 600 points.

:STORAGE:TYPE?
Returns "WAVEFORMS".

:INFO:SERIAL?
Returns the serial number.
:INFO:SERIAL 12345
Sets(!!) the serial number returned by "*IDN?" and shown in the "System Info" dialog.
:INFO:MODEL DS1xxxx
Sets(!!) the model returned by "*IDN?" and shown in the "System Info" dialog.
:INFO:POWERUPTIMES?
Returns the number of times the scope was powered up.
:INFO:EQUTRIGDELAY?
For my scope, it returns "-5.30e-09". Careful(!!): There is also a command to change this setting. I expect changing this setting could break your scope.
:INFO:REALTRIGDELAY?
For my scope, it returns "8.00e-10". Careful(!!): There is also a command to change this setting. I expect changing this setting could break your scope.
:INFO:KEYS?
Returns the key code required to unlock the keys if locked via the "Special Mode" menu.
:INFO:KEYS 121212
Changes the key code.
:INFO:ULTRASCOPE?
Returns "OFF".

:COUNTER:VALUE?
Returns the value of the hardware counter.

:RS232:BAUD?
Returns the baud rate of the serial interface.
:RS232:BAUD 19200
Changes the baud rate of the serial interface.

*RIGOL
Switches to Rigol's command set.
*TEK
Switches to a command set, which tries to emulate a Tektronix scope to some degree.
:WHOAREYOU?
Returns "I'm RIGOL" if the Rigol command set is active.
PS: Didn't find a command to read the power on hours, though...
Last edited by mxmxmx; Nov 22, 2009 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Added :WAVEFORM:POINTS:MODE NORMAL
Nov 10, 2009, 04:09 PM
mxmxmx,

thanks for sharing all the undocumented commands. I'm guessing most of these are unavailable on my older 1000CD-series unit, but the DISPLAY:SCREEN commands are there, they work, and are documented as well.

The RS232 command would certainly be handy to have, since the unit doesn't remember what baud rate it was last at, and has to be reset every time (unless you enjoy running very slow). I am surprised that some of the INFO commands have the ability to change internal settings.

I noticed on my unit when switching over to the TEK command mode that it does a pretty poor job of emulating it. Many commands it doesn't even attempt. But at that stage, it was probably experimental.

I should give some of the INFO commands a try here, to see if they work. Or just find my firmware image file, and browse through that.

Thanks for posting.

- Mark
Nov 11, 2009, 03:19 PM

Reading entire memory contents!

Another very interesting undocumented command I missed yesterday:

After sending :WAVEFORM:POINTS:MODE MAXIMUM, the command :WAVEFORM:DATA? will return the entire memory contents (16384 points or 1M points depending on the memory depth selected, not just 600 points as usual) as long as the acquisition is stopped. (Note that you may need to increase the timeout value, since it takes some time for the scope to send all this data.)
Last edited by mxmxmx; Nov 11, 2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Actually, it does works with long memory depth
Nov 12, 2009, 08:29 PM
Does anyone know what the latest version of firmware is for the DS1102CD, and where can I get it?
Nov 12, 2009, 09:31 PM
JimDrew asked:
> Does anyone know what the latest version of firmware is for the DS1102CD, and where can I get it? <

Hey there, Jim. This is like deja vu, all over again (circa April'09).

As you probably recall from back then, there was a significantly newer version for the DS1102CD... v03.07.01. But in fact, that version was NOT compatible with ALL DS1102CD units. Yours in fact had firmware version 02.03.04, and Victor from Rigol indicated that you could only go to v02.03.14 on your unit. More specifically, "...because of the curcuit level change, it should not be upgrade to 03.07.01 or later".

Since some time has elapsed, you might think an update had become available. However, since even at that time, others already had version 02.03.16 and 02.03.17, and neither of those was compatible with your unit, I had the distinct impression that 02.03.14 was the end of the line for you. However, that may not have been true.

It's doubtful that any of us users here would have access to that level of information, but perhaps Rigol support will jump in with some information. I believe Victor is still here occasionally (he changed his forum name from xmeasure to RScope, which confused me at first), and he would certainly know.

Another possible information resource might be Saelig. They stopped by to let us know they "offer terrific support for Rigol scopes", and this would be a good opportunity for them to demonstrate that.

I hope one of them steps up and helps you out.

- Mark
Nov 14, 2009, 09:48 AM
Hey, thanks for the info Mark! Looks like nothing has changed. I wonder if Rigol offers any type of trade-in so I can get newer firmware and fix some of the issues.
Nov 14, 2009, 02:18 PM
Jim,

if you let me know what issues you're experiencing with firmware version 02.03.04, I'll see if I can find out for you.

- Mark
Nov 14, 2009, 07:01 PM
No matter what I do (short of using an external trigger), I can't any incoming signals on either channel to trigger just from the edge (or pulse, or pattern, or, or, or). I literally have to press the RUN/STOP to freeze the data so that I can look at it. Now, if I use an external trigger that works, but I shouldn't have to. It should be able to sync on an edge.
Nov 16, 2009, 08:06 PM
Hi, Jim.

Has the failure to trigger on channel 1 or 2 always been there? I ask because this sounds like defective hardware... not a firmware issue.

If you set it to edge-trigger, then slide the orange triggering line up to intersect the signal range, it doesn't freeze it? Does it suffer this deficiency just with some signals, or even the simple square-wave that the probe-calibration has on the front panel?

I know these probably sound like silly questions (sorry about that), because I'm sure you know what you're doing, but this seems really strange to me. Because the triggering capabilities on the Rigol's are very extensive, and quite flexible, that implies they're being handled somewhere inside one of the VLSI chips, and it's not doing the job. That has me wondering if all of the pins on your Blackfin chip are properly soldered or not. (Just thinking out loud here.)

- Mark

Quick Reply