Mar 28, 2007, 06:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

pc power supply charger for dummies

Hello,

New to the hobby and getting in with both feet so to speak. I have a power supply from a computer and was told I could make it into a charger for my Nickel Metal battery's. Is there a SIMPLE easy to understand thread that can show me how to do it and what supplies I will need?

Any help would be great

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2007, 06:43 PM
All your base are belong to us
I think you misunderstood. PC power supplies are often adapted to supply power to battery chargers that run on 12 volts, but they're not normally converted into chargers themselves, although I guess it might somehow be possible.
Latest blog entry: I'll be glad when this is over.
Mar 29, 2007, 10:35 AM
Thread OP
Mike Thanks for clearing that up for me. Any ideas where I can find the conversion?
Mar 29, 2007, 02:26 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Conversion from PSU to charger? I don't think there is a published conversion..

However, if you are looking for how to convert a PSU into a stand alone power supply:

Give this thread a read through:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446764

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Mar 29, 2007, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
thanks Jeff
Mar 30, 2007, 03:52 PM
Thread OP
thanks gimp this is good stuff even for a dummy like me
Mar 31, 2007, 10:47 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
Wealth of good info. Just too much for me to absorb and choose from, lol. I have a L&C Technology 250 ATX PS from a computer, one of the tables on the lable says +12V 9A 108W the PS also does have a on/off switch on the back. I have no need for a 5V supply but could use 2 12V supplies. 1 for my Polycharge 4 and another for my Blade CP's LiPo charger. Can someone out there simplify this for me? I saw in another thread where someone was running 2 12V chargers from one. Thanks, Greg
Mar 31, 2007, 03:06 PM
Greg -

You can run two chargers on one 12V power supply as long as the power supply can provide enough current.

- Jeff
Mar 31, 2007, 05:14 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
Jeff, so if I understand this right most people use both yellow and both black soldered together on the output terminals so to run 2 chargers simultainiously would it be better to have 2 sets of terminals with 1 set of yellow and black to each? Or is it better to run both chargers off 1 pair of terminals which just doesn't sound right, lol. I also see putting 2 10 ohm resistors on on 1 red and 1 black, would it have to be a resistor or could a LED work if it had enough load. If I were to use a bulb I will solder in a socket so the bilb can be changed without taking the thing apart. I just cut short and heat shrink the rest of the wires I am not using then?
Mar 31, 2007, 08:38 PM
Hi Greg -

First of all, I must caution that there are lethal voltages inside these PC power supplies even when they are not plugged into the wall socket -- 250-400V DC. If you do not know what you are doing, you can kill yourself.

For example, do you know what it means to discharge the high voltage capacitors before working inside the power supply? If you do't know what this means and how to do it safely, I would recommend you not undertake this project.

With the safety warnings out of the way ... Just make one set of terminals. Inside the power supply, all the yellow wires are tied together, and all the black wires are tied together, so there is nothing to be gained by having two sets of terminals. You can connect two chargers to one set of terminals.

An LED won't do the job of loading the 5V (red-black) circuit. You'll need the big resistors or a bulb such as an automobile brake lamp.

And yes, you want to cut and insulate all the unused output wires.

- Jeff
Mar 31, 2007, 09:28 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
Thanks Jeff, after thinking about it decided that the chance of me charging both the heli and my planes was pretty slim so I wired them all to 1 pair of terminals. I did know to stay clear of the capacitors and also this PS has been sitting without power to it for at least 3 + months. I ended up using an auto bulb because I had it laying around (actually took it from my parts truck outside, Radio Shack was closed, lol). I am not excited about the unprotected bulb sticking out of the case (mounted it where the wire loom originally came out in the plastic gromet), I'll pick up a clearance lamp cover from a truck and just silicone it over the bulb though. Plugged it in, got out the volt meter and turned it on, 11.6V output. Plugged in the Polycharge and hooked up a pack started charging normally. I cut a 1"X 3" section out out of the top of the case, riveted a 1/8" sheet of black expanded styrene over it and mounted the terminals in it, also marked them + & - on the case with red and black sharpie because the terminal screw covers are interchangable. I will add some of the self adhesive silicone buttons for it to sit on tomorrow (Rose has them put away somewhere, lol). All the slightly different ideas on how to do these (besides the obvious 2 different types of PSs) make it a tad confusing when looking at all the methods. I thank you and everyone else for all the advice, was actually alot easier than it first appears, hope learning the heli is that way too, lol. Now I can charge packs without running down the battery in my 85 GT (it doesn't get out much). Thanks Again, Greg

Quick Reply