Build log of Ultimate FP (CompyFP) - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 27, 2007, 02:12 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Build Log

Build log of Ultimate FP (CompyFP)

Currently I have a HB FP heli which I'll keep mostly stock. While I learn on this, I'd like to build up a "bad boy FP" from scratch. I will need help, but here is my vision and parts list. I will update this list as I get suggestions from people who already have done a "franken FP" or people who know better.

Basically, this will be as small as a Compy, all brushless, belt tail, FP. But after a year or so, I might want to convert this same Heli into a CP (making it just a Compy at that point I guess). It was going to be this heli, or build this smaller one. I still wanted FP and small , AND I wanted to build a heli to learn.
This will show what a complete n00b can do with some assistance. This will be my first build of a heli from ground up.

I already have:
-Telebee HH Gyro
-A good 6ch Receiver
-A good 6ch Transmitter
-CNC head stiffener
-Build manual
-Compy Info

Parts list: (need to buy)
- Compy Frame (optional - the Compykit come with one)
- JGF 400DH motor (or Esky )
- Otter ESC (or Esky )
- Lama Swash Linkage arms (may not be needed, read page 13) (I just used 2 of these to make my own)
- Bare bones FP
- Canopy
- 3 servos
- 8T Pinion
- Compy Kit (for the tail assembly)
- CF Tail boom (optional - the Compykit come with one)
- auto rotation set (optional)
- auto main gear (optional)
- CSRC 1250 Battery (or here is another)
- A good charger (or decent and cheaper) (optional)

What am I missing or what would be recommended on top of these or better alternatives?
I'm not the only one that wants to do this, so this build log will help a lot more than just me.

Thanks for the help.
Burke~

----------------------------------------------------
Final List I went with
-Telebee HH Gyro
-A good 6ch Receiver
-A good 6ch Transmitter
-CNC head stiffener
- Compy Frame
- Esky Motor
- Otter ESC
- Lama Swash Linkage arms (not needed, page 13) (I just used 2 of these to make my own)
- Bare bones FP (actually, I canabolized my HBFP (sorry Chris! )
- Canopy
- 3 servos
- 8T Pinion
- Compy Kit
- CF Tail boom
- auto rotation set
- auto main gear
- CSRC 1250 Battery
- decent charger + wire (new V2 Common Sense batteries don't need this wire)
- RX Antenna
- White main blades
Last edited by GFBurke; May 09, 2007 at 10:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2007, 02:23 PM
why not just go straight to building a "bad boy" CP once you learn to fly the HB? That's what I plan on doing. I don't anticipate getting into the 3d flying scene, but I'll still have a CP, eventually.
Mar 27, 2007, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry I'm a little off topic. The question is why would you want to convert Compy to FP? Compy CP is much superior and a lot easier to fly outside than FP.
Mar 27, 2007, 02:35 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Because I can.
Mar 27, 2007, 02:37 PM
Burke, When I upgraded to a brushless, I needed to install a y-harness connecting my Esc and my throttle lead from my 3 in 1, which then went to my throttle channel on my receiver... I did this conversion on a cp, not an fp but I believe you would have to do the same...

Mike
Mar 27, 2007, 02:48 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Does Compy make a full kit with that new frame?
Last edited by GFBurke; Mar 27, 2007 at 04:20 PM.
Mar 27, 2007, 04:24 PM
I don't have a link right now, it's an Eflite Y harness, the part# is EFLRYH3. I bought it at my LHS. This can also be accomplished by soldering to save some weight... I opted to use the Y harness for a quick install.

You will also need to solder a male JST off your power lead for the 3 in 1. I used a deans connector and soldered the ESC and male JST right off of the Deans connector...

Mike
Mar 27, 2007, 05:10 PM
-plancks only-
He burke,

I did (like terence) build/ordered a compy frame (the fiber one...like ticey) with belt tail, FP rotorhead and separates. No bads, this setup probably a nice mix of both CP and FP. I'd be nice too see what you come up with.

Just go for it, if you get bored with this setup, you van always change the head to a CP one (i have two CNC CP heads on the bench...will install them after i get bored with my FP head)

regards,

Franck
Mar 27, 2007, 05:14 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Nice Frank. Got some pics and specs?
Mar 27, 2007, 05:26 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Is there any reason I need a 3in1? Wouldn't this be considered all separates?
Mar 27, 2007, 06:01 PM
#include <rcstuff.h>
Seeing that this is a belt drive tail, if you have a HH Gyro and ESC you don't need a 3-in-1.
Mar 27, 2007, 06:06 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Ok, thanks.
Removed off list.
Red, you just saved me money!
Mar 27, 2007, 06:26 PM
I believe JPC recommended BlueBird servos for the compy...at least that's what I recall and ordered from lightflightrc.com

BMS-306BB
6g (.21oz) Ball bearing servo
Compact 22x10x23mm, 0.86 x 0.4 x 0.9"
.11 sec 60deg.
Torque @ 4.8V = 0.8kg/cm, 12oz/in
Mar 27, 2007, 06:38 PM
Yep, those Bluebirds are nice servos. Nice enough I've marked Hitec HS-55's off my list in favor of them!

Looks like you've gotten good advice on the build already, GFB.

-Chris
Mar 27, 2007, 06:42 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Thanks guys. I updated my servo link.