Mar 26, 2007, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Great Planes Extra 300S .60 size

I'm looking at getting this plane in April and was wondering if anyone has this plane and if it's a good plane. I'm getting it as a kit for $94.99 and i'm putting in a GMS 1.20 BB with remote needle valve the engine is $104.99. these prices are after a $15 discount on the plane and a $20 on the engine. I already have the Radio and Receiver off my old plane I'm going to get new servos though. Here is the website for the plane if you want to look at it http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJ580&P=ML and here is the engine http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDXM5&P=ML I'm also going to put this on it I call it an alternator for a plane and this with make sure I don't have a dead battery while in flight http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFV20&P=0
Last edited by buddek09; Mar 26, 2007 at 03:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2007, 07:41 PM
Bud,
I too have been looking to make this my next build. I am considering pattern competion and I think this would be a good start. I probably will stay 2 stroke. I can't imagine that you would want to add 5.5 oz. to the nose of a performance plane like this. That alternator sounds more like an item for a trainer. If I was worried about battery charge I would just keep an extra battery in my field box for that 5th or 6th flight of the day. Surely you are not considering lights on this plane?
I too am interested in hearing others opinions.
Mark
Mar 29, 2007, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
I'm not considering lights on my plane I don't know where you saw it posted. Also the alternator is a saftey incase I get a dead battery and it will probly also power the glow starter and definetly to power a smoke system when I get the time to install one. Also I want a good size engine to ensure I have enough power because I've heard that this plane is pretty heavy for a .60 size.
Mar 29, 2007, 03:01 PM
Is this the plane you are considering?
Mar 29, 2007, 08:11 PM
Thread OP
Yes if it's an Extra 300S
Mar 30, 2007, 08:00 AM
Great Planes 300s.

Mine has an OS .120 four stoke and is a very nice flyer.
I followed advice of several reviewers and replaced the stock cowl and wheel pants with a Fiberglass Specialties (http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com) product which saved about 5 oz over the stock abs cowl and pants.

Mine came out heavy in spite of every effort to drill lightening holes and such. The big OS is a nice trade for the weight because it has hugh vertical abilities and can do enormous pattern flying. The sound at full throttle with the prop tips singing on a fast flyby - priceless!

I have since replaced the aluminum gear and removed the pants in part because I fly off a grass field which tears up wheel pants but primarily to shed some ounces.

Built it light and you will love this aircraft!
Mar 30, 2007, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
I was planning to build it light but I've heard that these are a heavy plane for a .60 size and that's why I want to put a GMS 1.20 two stroke here it is http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDXM5&P=ML and a Bisson Pitt muffler.
Mar 30, 2007, 04:13 PM
That 2 stroke 1.20 will really pull it around nicely.

One build tip...figure a way to reinforce the landing gear mount area. It's a funky design that connects the aluminum gear to only two planks of ply that glue between the firewall and F2 former.

Flying off grass my gear collapsed on roll out from a smooth touch and go, the gear just went! The texture of a grass field acts as a friction shearing force.
I have repaired it but really struggled trying to beef up that area. It's much easier to do during building.
Mar 30, 2007, 09:01 PM
buddek09,
I would omit the alternator. You will run out of fuel before your battery goes dead. If you are really worried about it, switch to a fresh battery when you land to refuel.
Phillip
Mar 30, 2007, 11:23 PM
I have almost completed my build of the GP extra 300 s and found it to be an awsome project. im putting a saito fa100 in it and also change my cowl to a fiberglass that i ordered from the local shop. I also converted the rudder to a pull pull system from dubro. and added a Klett plastics tailwheel. and a tru turn aluminum spinner. covered in tru dutch colors...orange and white with some blue trim. im just waiting for my 90deg muffler adapter from horrizon so i can aim the pipe right out the bottom w/o cutting more holes for the thing.
these saito 90 adapters are new and awsome for these applications. these are 3 month old pics..... im much farther along now lol
Last edited by jasonmvt; Mar 30, 2007 at 11:45 PM. Reason: pics
Mar 31, 2007, 10:00 AM
These Extras are one of my favorite planes, and they are great flyers.. I own the .40size GP's Extra.. very well worth the money. The only thing that I really didn't care for on the .60size is there isn't that much of a difference in size overall between the .40size and .60size.. side to side(I have had both sitting side to side). I know weight plays factors here too.. but this was just my observation on the .60. AND the gear-mount area on the .40 has that same weak design.. and I did tear my gear out too.. better the gear then the whole bottom half of the plane hehe.
Other then that they are one of the best flyers IMO and make for some great building experience. Have fun.
PS... they've got to be some serious performers with a 1.20.. I don't doubt that at all!!
Mar 31, 2007, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
I have given much thought to the alternator and decided that I don't need it. I have a 6 ch. radio that can opporate the smoke and glow starter. I thought I would need more batteries but I guess the glow starter already comes with a battery. The only other battery I'll need is for the smoke system but I'm not getting that for a while due to $ and I want to get a feel for the plane first and get used to it since it will be my first aerobatic plane. Thanks for the comments on the engine size. I know its a heavy plane and for about $5 more than a .90 why not go with a 1.20 engine. I've also been looking at some landing gear to replace the stock one. If I can't find a good enough replacement I can ask some of our guys at the club because they only fly aerobatic planes and would probly know how to fix the landing gear problem so I'll be ok on that.
Last edited by buddek09; Mar 31, 2007 at 09:05 PM.
May 13, 2007, 01:00 PM
So Bud, Did you get that Extra 300 in April?
May 15, 2007, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
No Ictop I did some checking and calculating and I found it would be cheaper to go with my original choice when I first started looking for a new plane and decied to go with a Cessna 182 Skylane because I can use my engine I got for my old plane which I paid $90 for it's a .45 evolution engine. I haven't got it yet because I want to break the engine in a little bit better I should have it withing the first week or two in June depending on when I order. I will though get the GP Extra 300S for my next plane after the Cessna which I might end up still getting but if I do it will be during the winter so I have something to do over the winter and then it'll be ready to go by spring
May 17, 2007, 08:16 PM
If you need more power in a .60 size plane, what about the O.S.91, same size and weight as the .60, gives it a lot more grunt,(Sheet that comes with engine says 2.8 hp.) Mine turns a 16x6 wood very impressively!

Quick Reply