Mar 25, 2007, 11:57 PM
RC Airplane Crasher
Discussion

How much damage can a LIPO take safely?

I had a bad crash today, crashed my RC Bug into a light post.

One corner of the 460 mAh 2S Lipo battery got mashed in.

It still reads normal voltage.

Is it safe to use or should I throw it away?

Sorry I'm new to this stuff just wondering what you guys think.

It's mashed in about 1/8" from how it was originally.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2007, 12:04 AM
RC Airplane Crasher
Never mind please disregard this thread.

I was flying in the parking lot where I work. When the damage first occurred, I didn't notice until I connected it to the charger, and it read normal voltage. Then I noticed the big dent in the corner. I freaked out and immediately disconnected the battery and threw it in the metal dumpster out back. I was scared of the battery exploding or something.

Later I checked on it and it hadn't caught fire or anything, was just sitting there in the bottom of the dumpster so I started wondering if I could still use it, so I thought I would ask here.

However, after I posted this thread, I started reading around and finding threads about other people having fires and such caused by using a dented pack. I realize now that my first instinct was the correct one, get rid of the battery and don't look back. Sorry for asking such a dumb question.
Mar 26, 2007, 12:22 AM
RC Airplane Crasher
Just an update!

I left the battery in the metal dumpster, and while I have been surfing the web and reading RCGroups messages, I heard a "pop" and I went outside and looked in the dumpster, and the battery had exploded.

I'll try to get a pic if anyone wants to see

I'm glad I realized how dumb an idea it was to try and keep the battery. I came pretty close to putting it back in my gear box. That could have been an expensive explosion. Instead, it happened in a dumpster and didn't hurt anything.
Mar 26, 2007, 12:35 AM
Dude, good call ! Yeah I bought a 5S pack, I'm talking like $180 and on the first flight
for some unknown reason the plane rolled and dove into the tarmac ! A friend had GIVEN me a .60 size Ultimate bipe, an old one but looked well. The brand new lipo was mashed at the corners on two cells, That was one expensive 5 minute flight !
The lipo stank of a sweetness associated with cell damage, I read that in a post somewhere, I too decided to trash that lipo, however it did not explode. $$180 is a lot to throw away just after 5 minutes of use. Better safe than sorry.

MM.
Mar 26, 2007, 12:39 AM
RC Airplane Crasher
Yeah I guess $180 won't seem like much money if you ever have a house catch on fire :O
Mar 26, 2007, 06:36 AM
characters welcome!
Nothing like dodging a bullet and knowing it, eh?

mw
Mar 26, 2007, 07:10 AM
A man with too many toys
Over the years I have two packs with significant crash damage. One had a dented corner and one was bent up very badly. The bent one was straightened out and covered with new heatshrink. The dented one I just left as is. Both are still in use today did not suffer any loss of performance.

I did let them set outside for a week to make sure there would not be a fire. I cycled them a few times to confirm the capacity.

So it depends on the particular battery. Some may be ok and some not.

Mar 26, 2007, 08:29 AM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbore
Just an update!

I left the battery in the metal dumpster, and while I have been surfing the web and reading RCGroups messages, I heard a "pop" and I went outside and looked in the dumpster, and the battery had exploded.

I'll try to get a pic if anyone wants to see

Thanks for sharing that info. Can you give a time frame for how long after the damage diid the battery pop? Did it catch fire and burn or just split open?

I've been keeping a log of Lipo incidents and would like to add your info as that question comes up often: "what should I do with my damaged pack?"
Mar 26, 2007, 10:33 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
Quote:
The bent one was straightened out and covered with new heatshrink. The dented one I just left as is. Both are still in use today did not suffer any loss of performance
If you choose to risk using a damaged Lipos that is certainly your right. I would not post in open forum about such an act as you may give the impression that it will be okay in all circumstances.
Gary
Mar 26, 2007, 10:54 AM
Go Forward, but Remember
How much damage can a LIPO take safely?

I think the short answer is NONE.

Damaged = Dangerous
Mar 26, 2007, 07:08 PM
If you are lucky, you could remove the bad cell if only one cell is damaged, but this best left alone for the more experienced......

Challenger413
Mar 26, 2007, 07:32 PM
RC Airplane Crasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger 413
If you are lucky, you could remove the bad cell if only one cell is damaged, but this best left alone for the more experienced......

Challenger413
It was a 2 cell battery and both cells were equally dented in.
Mar 26, 2007, 08:05 PM
I saw that, but was making a general post about saving a bigger pack, of course you could save a cell for something, not sure what in your case....sorry.

Challenger413
Mar 27, 2007, 07:43 AM
Molded Hotliner Destroyer
I straightened these packs out, left them alone for a few weeks while keeping a careful eye on them and they are still running fine now after 12 months.
Mar 27, 2007, 07:45 AM
Master of 1 point landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum9
I straightened these packs out, left them alone for a few weeks while keeping a careful eye on them and they are still running fine now after 12 months.
LOL! You have more guts when it comes to LIPOs that me. Glad it works for ya!