Jul 15, 2007, 04:59 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
Mike , I presume that you didnt need any lead in the nose and placed the lipo's to achieve balance???
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2007, 06:55 AM
I'm nearly ready to build my Seawind, and was just about ready to order a Saito FA-100 for it until I ran across this post. That's amazing how well the SW flies on epower! I'm curious if you've had the chance to compare a nitro-powered SW to yours, as far as power goes? I'm installing retracts in mine, so I'll have a little extra weight to deal with, so wondering if e-power will work for me, or if there is a slightly larger electric motor I should consider. Thanks in advance. Butch - Stafford, VA
Jul 15, 2007, 08:55 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
PALEFACE, No additional lead needed. Used the batteries for CG adjustment. GP has already put some lead/epoxy in the nose of the Seawind fuselage as furnished, but I don't know how much they put in there from the factory.

SR-71, the E-Power Seawind is a rocket with the Rimfire motor. Added weight from retracts would not be a problem. As for a larger motor, the problem you will run into is that they will need larger props to produce their additonal thrust. You are limited to about 13" diameter props with the Seawind. The largest prop seems to be a 13.5x13.5 3-blade. Some larger motors also need more lipo cells in series to get sufficient RPM - 8 to 10 cells. I have been impressed with the Rimfire and highly recommend you give it a try.

One of our club members has a gas powered version with a Magnum 91 4-stroke that we will be test flying soon. I have to finish installing the radio and complete the final rigging for him. I'll be posting some side-by-side comparisons in a few weeks.

Mike McD
Last edited by kingsflyer; Jul 16, 2007 at 07:46 AM.
Jul 16, 2007, 06:54 AM
Yeah I thought that was the case ....Is that a Magnum 91, 2 or 4st
P/s , have ordered the Rimfire and mount from TH
Jul 16, 2007, 07:47 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Post edited to show 4-stroke.
Mike McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Jul 16, 2007, 01:46 PM
Owwh , lots of luck with that then.....you might want to try moving the step back 1" then add the clear plastic 6"x1.5" plates onto the tip floats , the end extends 1" rearward of the tip
Jul 17, 2007, 10:44 AM
Mike, great job on both the article and the video of you flying. It makes me want to get one.
Jul 17, 2007, 02:24 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Thanks. Like I said, it flys even better than it looks. If you are going to be around the Highland Lakes area on August 4th, come on by Llano for the Club's Float Fly and you can see the Seawind in person.

http://www.zuel.com/highland_lakes_f...ut-3-14-07.pdf

There is so much interest in this plane, that I'm considering buddy boxing it at the contest so folks can try it out for themselves.

Mike McD
Jul 17, 2007, 11:02 PM
Great job, both on the flying build and vid. Makes me want go out an get one right know.
Jul 18, 2007, 02:24 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Glad you liked the review. You know, Tower Hobbies has a great 3-payment plan available for the Seawind.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKEW6&P=0

Just thought I might help nudge you a little closer to getting one.

Mike McD
Jul 18, 2007, 06:08 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
I've already bought the motor

Can't stop myself ........ must not listen to the voices ........ plane's calling me ........ must resist ........
Jul 18, 2007, 06:43 AM
Mike , Thats an oxy-moron , there's no such thing as "Easy Payments"...
Aug 18, 2007, 07:42 PM

what batteries did you use?

Hello Mike (kingsflyer)

The EP conversion of the Seawind is awsome. I just found it. I wonder what batteries did you use. I am following your footsteps on the conversion but I find these batteries at Towerhobbies:

LM1127 Great Planes LiPo 18.5V 3200mAh 20C Discharge w/Balance (2)
LM1126 Great Planes LiPo 14.8V 3200mAh 20C Discharge w/Balance (2)
LM1125 Great Planes LiPo 11.1V 3200mAh 20C Discharge w/Balance (2)
LM1124 Great Planes LiPo 7.4V 3200mAh 20C Discharge w/Balance (2)

I am new to electric flight although I have several years on glow and have successfully flown a Northstar .46 from water for about 5 years. I am now converting the seawind to electric and your article is just great! Just let me know about the batteries please.

take care
Carlos
(Guatemala)
Aug 18, 2007, 10:38 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Carlos,
Thanks for the kind words. The Seawind is awsome and the E-Conversion makes it even better. I used the LM1125 batteries in series. I used 6-cells in series and the Rimfire motor is spectacular at 22.2 volts with the APC 13x8E prop!
Mike McD
Aug 21, 2007, 08:49 PM

Thanks Mike

Many Thanks Mike,
I will go ahead and start the conversion (by buying the kit and required accessories) and I will let you know how it turns out.
Take care
Carlos

Quick Reply