Jul 17, 2010, 05:51 PM
Thread OP
Tim B,

Those are pretty easy. If the shaft is bent or broke, do not push it back into the motor! Push the long part of the shaft from the inside out towards the front of the motor. If you push a broke shaft back into the motor from the front, it does seem like the shortest path, but in almost every case, when a shaft breaks off, it leaves a hooked burr on one edge of the shaft. If you push this back down into the softer aluminum front housing, it will gouge the aluminum and remove material from one edge of the hole. If this happens, the new shaft will not be perfectly centered in the motor housing once it is pressed in, and the motor will have a slight wobble to it.

When you remove a motor shaft, you want to use an arbor press or a drill press. You never want to hammer on the motor, as this can damage it. I use a 1-Ton arbor press from Harbor Freight in the repair area here, and it works very well. Here is a photo of an 8mm diameter shaft being pressed into a Scorpion S-4035 motor with my arbor press.

For a smaller motor like the 2215 series, you can use a small drill press to push out the old and install the new shaft. To push out the old shaft, you can chuck up a piece of 3/32" music wire to use as a push tool. 3/32" is 2.3mm, so it is just a bit smaller than the 3mm shaft. Line up the push tool on the back end of the shaft, and push it out of the motor.

Once you get the old shaft out, you can push the new shaft in from the back side of the motor. Put a bit of oil on the end of the new shaft and spread it around before installing it. This will help prevent the aluminum from galling on the steel shaft. Also, make sure that the set-screw flat on the shaft is lined up with one of the set-screw holes on the front of the motor before you push the shaft into place.

Once you get the new shaft pushed into the motor and get it lined up, put the set-screw back into place and you are good to go.

On the larger motors, such as the 40 and 50mm sizes, it can take a great deal of force to push the shaft into place, so for these motors, a good arbor press is a must-have tool.

Hopefully that explains the shaft changing procedure for you.

Lucien
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2010, 06:09 PM
The "Foaminator"
1 ton arbor press from Harbor Frieght.

This link might change when they put up the new site again.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-a...ress-3552.html
Jul 17, 2010, 07:13 PM
Pro Bro ozzy
Lucien and Mike,

Thanks for the info and the Link to the press.

Tim
Jul 17, 2010, 09:44 PM
Pro Bro ozzy
Now that I've done it. Super simple.
Thanks again.

Tim
Jul 17, 2010, 11:05 PM
Put a Quark in it!
I wonder if you could use a drill press to do it?, just without the drill running, but then for the price of the press, that would be nice to add to the shop.
Last edited by nexgen; Jul 18, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
Jul 17, 2010, 11:08 PM
Put a Quark in it!
Is there any new news on the inrunners? I remember an old post mentioning them. I know there are other mfg's doing inrunners for helis and having good success. I would be interested in trying one in my Gaui 550
Last edited by nexgen; Jul 17, 2010 at 11:15 PM.
Jul 18, 2010, 10:51 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innov8tive
Tim B,

I use a 1-Ton arbor press from Harbor Freight in the repair area here, and it works very well. Here is a photo of an 8mm diameter shaft being pressed into a Scorpion S-4035 motor with my arbor press.

Lucien
Lucien

How is the Drift pin secured to the press? Is it just a interference fit between the bottom of the press and the shaft? My fear is it comes rocketing out when force it applied.

Thanks!

Tommy D

P.S. If I had to really guess that's more like a 1/2 ton press.
Jul 18, 2010, 06:38 PM
The "Foaminator"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Lucien

How is the Drift pin secured to the press? Is it just a interference fit between the bottom of the press and the shaft? My fear is it comes rocketing out when force it applied.

Thanks!

Tommy D

Your guessing that Harbor Frieght is actually selling a 1/2 ton press and advertising it as a 1 ton?

I don't know, I looked at several and the design etc of the 1 ton models was very similar amongst several manufactues.
Jul 18, 2010, 06:48 PM
The "Foaminator"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Lucien

Thanks!

Tommy D

I can't speak for Lucien, but for my self, I use punches and drift pins according to what task is at hand. You are controlling the force at the handle so by the time you are applying a large force you have your work set up and know the feel before really applying a ton of pressure if that is required. Frankly since there is no gauge on the press you won;t know exactly how much pressure is beeing applied, but on most of these motors(brushless, all brands) your not actually applying a lot of pressure. and the pins move fairly easy, so to speak.
Jul 18, 2010, 06:52 PM
Registered Drug Free
Hi Lucian,

Congrats on your appointment to board of the HMA, Iím sure we will all benefit from your involvement.

Just a quick question, I noticed the new SII-22 series outrunners are in stock, are these available as kits yet? I would be interested in a SII-2208 kit if available.

Cheers,
Mike.
Jul 19, 2010, 04:03 AM
Hello !

I've received my 5035 and it's now operationnal (Order Number: 4082)

Using 12Srhino and hyperion titan 90 (auto timing, soft doesn't work) I have 89A ~3900w using XOAR E 24x10

Which mean, I need to go for 23x10 or 23x8 =)

Just 1 thing, some parts maybe missing with my motor, see the attachement.
As I mount the prop directly on the motor, I cannot screw the second long screen as it is the one too short (the one that you can plug a spinner on)

Is it normal ?, where can I buy the long "counter screw" ?
Jul 19, 2010, 10:40 AM
Thread OP
Scorpion changed the design of the motors a while back, and the rear thrust washer and tapered cone are no longer needed. Instead, the front surface of the motor housing is serated and the prop is designed to bolt directly against the face of the motor. The prop shafts were also made shorter, so in most cases, the longer jam nut is not required unless you have a prop with a very thin hub.

The entire hardware package is available as a kit, and contains all the parts shown in the photo, but we are currently out of stock on them right now. I can get more on order with Scorpion.

Lucien
Jul 19, 2010, 11:07 AM
Hi Lucien,

I have just bought the HK3526-1000kv for use in my Hotliner. How many Amps can these things really take in short five to six second bursts every thirty seconds? Can I say, take her up to 80A for short bursts, keeping in mind, checking temp, proper airflow, etc...?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT- BTW, I live in Germany, or I would have ordered it from you!
Jul 19, 2010, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innov8tive
Scorpion changed the design of the motors a while back, and the rear thrust washer and tapered cone are no longer needed. Instead, the front surface of the motor housing is serated and the prop is designed to bolt directly against the face of the motor. The prop shafts were also made shorter, so in most cases, the longer jam nut is not required unless you have a prop with a very thin hub.

The entire hardware package is available as a kit, and contains all the parts shown in the photo, but we are currently out of stock on them right now. I can get more on order with Scorpion.

Lucien
Hello, thanks for the quick reply.

I only need the longer jam nut, if you try xoar E prop (24*10 on my case) you will find that you cannot use the short one :/
Or maybe my motor shaft is too long :/

How can I buy one ?, how much does it cost ?
Jul 19, 2010, 05:10 PM
Thread OP
I will get some ordered from Scorpion and make them available.

Lucien

Quick Reply