Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 20, 2007, 06:03 AM
Suspended Account
Discussion

well i was going through my drawers

an found my magnetic prop balance and thought....is it really necessary to balance props or a good marketing gimmick for prop balancers, by that i mean if i look at a glow motor, its full of reciprocating parts which I guess have never been balanced? so what difference is a nylon prop going to make?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2007, 07:39 AM
Average User
A slight imbalance near the center of rotation (as in engine parts) will not cause a great deal of vibration. BUT, take that same amount of imbalance and move it out 5" from the center of rotation (as with a 10" prop) and the vibration will be significant.

Mike
Mar 20, 2007, 09:41 AM
You mean as the engine is already partly unbalanced you think it's a good idea to add an out of balance prop to make it even further out of balance ? Can't quite see the logic myself .

Steve
Mar 20, 2007, 12:48 PM
The problem with balancing a prop is that it's done before installing it onto the engine which is good, however, how many people have you seen nick a prop on landing (me included) and not remove the prop and rebalance it. We're so worried about sanding a few specs of plastic off a new blade but we pay no attention to a major gouge once it's bolted to an airplane!
Mar 20, 2007, 11:44 PM
I meant to do that
Thats why you make sure you nick both blades.
Mar 21, 2007, 12:36 AM
I Wish I Was Flying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewing78
Thats why you make sure you nick both blades.
^^^ AMEN! ^^^
Mar 21, 2007, 11:48 PM
After my landings I WISH I had a nick or two: instead I have two pieces of the prop, far, far apart!
Latest blog entry: The FW190 is back!