Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Thread Tools
Old Mar 20, 2007, 03:58 AM
leccyflyer is offline
Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
Discussion

Grand Canyon Skywalk


Eyesore or spectacle?

http://www.grandcanyonskywalk.com/
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:02 AM
Bilbobaker is offline
Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Suspended Account
Bilbobaker's Avatar
Both.
Would you walk out on it?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:03 AM
leccyflyer is offline
Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
Not a chance!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:08 AM
LVsoaring is online now
Find More Posts by LVsoaring
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
LVsoaring's Avatar
There has been a fair amount of media coverage about this here in Las Vegas. Personally, I think it's kinda cool, but 25 clams to walk out there seems rather steep! I don't envision too many families on a summer road trip across America stopping by with mom, pop, and 3 kids, and paying to get in. Hope the price of admission doesn't make it a flop for the Hualapai.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:08 AM
Bilbobaker is offline
Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Suspended Account
Bilbobaker's Avatar
Me either.
I kinda get queasy at heights.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:48 AM
Treetop is offline
Find More Posts by Treetop
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
I understand cantilevered box beams, but still, a glass floor? scary.

I think the building is cool, the walkway could have blended in better though. Some of those Amerind buildings like that literally cannot be seen, because they blend in so well.

As far as an eyesore, it probably won't be seen much, it (the canyon) is a big place, and the Indians do own this piece of it. Just think what would be there if some others owned it. Canyon World! Ride the world's highest roller coaster! See real Indians! --Where's the food court? I'm hungry! Oh boy, taco bell!

As usual, it is all about the wampum.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 05:19 AM
Bilbobaker is offline
Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Suspended Account
Bilbobaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring
There has been a fair amount of media coverage about this here in Las Vegas. Personally, I think it's kinda cool, but 25 clams to walk out there seems rather steep! I don't envision too many families on a summer road trip across America stopping by with mom, pop, and 3 kids, and paying to get in. Hope the price of admission doesn't make it a flop for the Hualapai.
The pics would be kinda cool. A spacewalk maybe.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:41 AM
Mr. Wiz is offline
Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
I went to the Grand Canyon once. We were in Vegas and I decided to drive down there to see it. I only allotted myself one day.... Man, that was a long day!. Going to the canyon and only standing on the rim and looking out left me wanting more. Sure it was a beautiful sight, but next time I go I want to get down into the thing and do some exploring.
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Mar 20, 2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:52 AM
Mark Wood is offline
Find More Posts by Mark Wood
characters welcome!
Mark Wood's Avatar
Wiz:

Take the mule ride to Bright Angel Point. Did that a number of years ago and it was quite the trip!

The wife told me last night that she wanted to do the Skywalk. Criminy. Guess I'll see what it's like soon enough.

mw
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:58 AM
leccyflyer is offline
Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
Mark - when you've "done" the Ironbridge Gorge, surely anything else would be a let-down?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 09:04 AM
Mr. Wiz is offline
Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Wiz:

Take the mule ride to Bright Angel Point. Did that a number of years ago and it was quite the trip!

The wife told me last night that she wanted to do the Skywalk. Criminy. Guess I'll see what it's like soon enough.

mw
Mule ride to Bright Angel Point.... Got it.

Thanks!

Wiz
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:25 AM
SchiessCo is offline
Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Registered User
SchiessCo's Avatar
The mule riders always look sore and uncomfortable to me, though I'm sure they're having the adventure of a lifetime. If you're in decent shape, you should hike Bright Angel and spend a couple days at Phantom Ranch; especially in the winter. Believe it or not, it's the hike down that hurts. Climbing back out is a piece of cake.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:40 AM
tolladay is offline
Find More Posts by tolladay
fix-it-up chappie
tolladay's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
I went to the Grand Canyon once. We were in Vegas and I decided to drive down there to see it. I only allotted myself one day.... Man, that was a long day!. Going to the canyon and only standing on the rim and looking out left me wanting more. Sure it was a beautiful sight, but next time I go I want to get down into the thing and do some exploring.
I had a college class where we hiked down the canyon, with a Geological professor lecturing at various points. Then we climbed back up, and the next day went out to the Hopi reservation at had the Anthropologist prof give another lecture. All together it was two weeks of hard study in that area.

Best class (well, really it was a cluster of classes) I've ever taken.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:47 AM
dstout is offline
Find More Posts by dstout
These go to eleven...
dstout's Avatar
That thing needs to be sponsored by Depends undergarments.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:00 PM
AndreyT is offline
Find More Posts by AndreyT
Registered User
AndreyT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring
I don't envision too many families on a summer road trip across America stopping by with mom, pop, and 3 kids, and paying to get in.
Well, Grand Canyon is not a roadside "Barbie museum", i.e. it is not exactly a "stop on a summer road trip across America" kind of place. People go to Grand Canyon specifically, not just "stop by". Those who go there will, of course, pay to walk on this bridge.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion PicooZ&Massimo in Grand Canyon:Dedicated to Alexander :) massimo Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 5 Sep 28, 2006 01:25 PM
F-27 Brushless: Grand Canyon Baseheadz Pusher Prop Jet Models 11 Apr 28, 2005 02:59 PM
Grand Canyon AP DangerBird Aerial Photography 8 Aug 12, 2004 01:44 AM
Corona in the Grand Canyon Captain Carlton Electric Heli Talk 14 Jan 07, 2003 01:58 PM