Thermal Contest March 25 - RC Groups
Mar 19, 2007, 11:30 AM
High Lift Coefficient
Contest

Thermal Contest March 25

Santa Clara Flyers are holding a RES contest at Curtis Field on 3/25. For details go to sbss.org
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2007, 10:25 PM
I'll be their got my oly 650 repaired after sundays midair colision. And ready for Sundays contest.

Tim
Mar 20, 2007, 11:27 PM
Slopeaholic
It was probably discussed at the meeting, but any idea of the tasks we will be flying? How are the landings going to be scored? Do you need me to bring an extra hi-start or two? I have a brand new one good for 3-meter tows.

-hutch

who is off to go watch his Secrets of Thermal Soaring DVD.
Mar 21, 2007, 11:42 AM
High Lift Coefficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip stream fox
I'll be their got my oly 650 repaired after sundays midair colision. And ready for Sundays contest.

Tim
Tom is the CD. Best to contact him. I'm sure he could use some help too.
I'll be preparing to maiden the Lucky sloper for that day, weather permitting.
Mar 21, 2007, 05:35 PM
I'll bring out my high start also to help out.

Tim
Mar 22, 2007, 06:22 PM
Slopeaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhigh
I'll be preparing to maiden the Lucky sloper for that day, weather permitting.

Does this mean you will not be showing up at o' dawn-thirty to fly around in circles in the middle of a flat field? Good luck with the maiden at any rate! I'm looking forward to seeing how she flys.

-hutch
Mar 23, 2007, 04:23 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
Does this mean you will not be showing up at o' dawn-thirty to fly around in circles in the middle of a flat field? Good luck with the maiden at any rate! I'm looking forward to seeing how she flys.

-hutch
Acutally I wouldn't mind coming to the contest in the morning and flying on the slope in the afternoon. I'm still not sure about the weather, but since I'm behind schedule, I'll need the extra time.

BTW We had an outstanding day of soaring last Sunday at Mission after a long spell. The lift went up as high as you could see the planes and then you had to force it down! Tim and I midaired at high altitude bounced off and kept flying and still climbing. Turned out later I had long gash under my wing and Tim's fin had broken off and was just dangling, but he brought the plane in with a nice landing! I'm so glad Spring is here. Lot's O' fun
I really wish I had brought my bigger planes.
Mar 25, 2007, 02:39 PM
A fun time had by all......Let's do this again
Mar 26, 2007, 12:03 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Anyone care to give short report?
Mar 26, 2007, 12:36 PM
Slopeaholic
Well the morning started out overcast...and a bit chilly. 10 pilots showed up, and eventually there were at least as many spectators watching. Many old time SBSS members, and the occasional curious kid with his dad. There were two hi-starts set up, one that could launch a volkswagen and a lighter one for the two meter gentle lady types.

Due to what was looking like iffy conditions the tasks for the day were set at 2, 4, and 6 minute flights in any order with the 100 point landing circle. Our esteemed club president Bob Smith was the brave guy of the morning and jumped into the pool first. The rounds went smoothly and the highlight of the day was when all of a sudden what must have been a hundred seagulls formed up on a thermal right over the field. Only one guy was in the air at the time, and he just managed to get find the ratty bottom of it. It sucked him up pretty good 'till it dissipated and the seagulls moved on.

All of the rounds were over around 12:00 and the winners were announced. If my memory serves me correctly, it went like this...

1st Bob Brown (Super Bubble Dancer)
2nd Kai (AVA)
3rd Joe Newland (Bubble Dancer)

All in all a pretty fun day, and my first thermal contest in about 12 years. Thanks to everyone that made it happen, and thanks to the pilots that came out to fly!

-hutch
who has the 2 minute flight down pretty good
Mar 27, 2007, 12:43 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
TB (C)

Thanks taking for the photo.

It was a fun day, would be better if I won the spot on either end, but Bob took the top end, Hutch got the other end and left me in the middle(lower) somewhere.

Some old faces were there: Bob DeMattei, Don Sklar, Rudy Loo, of course, me!

Brian, an EAJ
Mar 27, 2007, 11:26 AM
High Lift Coefficient
You mean Brian still remembers how to fly an airplane that doesn't have a noisy little propeller in the front?
Mar 27, 2007, 12:02 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhigh
You mean Brian still remembers how to fly an airplane that doesn't have a noisy little propeller in the front?
Better than you can, you did not even show up! Chicken?

Brian, an EAJ
Mar 27, 2007, 12:38 PM
High Lift Coefficient
I was getting a plane ready for it's maiden that afternoon on the slope. You remember slope flying...no propellers needed
Mar 27, 2007, 04:11 PM
Ok, following is the short report. (originally posted at http://bayrc.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3144&start=15)

There were total 10 pilots flying at the contest but more than 20 pilots show up. We used two high-start for launch, one is strong for 3-meter and anther one is for 2-meter. The strong one is darn strong, I can barely hold my AVA as the tension build up. Retrieve the high-star takes time and energy so it is not easy to head to the ift directly after launch (at least for me).

Pilots fly various planes including Bubble-Dancer(s) / Topaz/ Spirit / Gentle Ladies / Oly-II / AVA / ... etc. For RES class, I am not sure the plane makes big difference or not but the 2-meter seems fly faster and sink faster... more challenge for sure. The weather in the early morning was not good, it was even tiny rain on my way to the field. The CD decided we just fly three rounds for 2, 4, and 6 minutes. As you know the field, many houses are around... So it is not a good idea to trace any direction too far, which makes the 6 min task interesting. Landing task is normal AMA style... but we need to do it downwind most of the time.

The official flying started at about 9:30 and ended at 11:45. It is a nice event... low key and fun. People said we should do this more regularly. And from the pilots who show up, a lot people are interested about glider and thermal hunting !!! We were talking about one-design-contest too... let's see what will happen.

-Kai