Oct 09, 2002, 04:38 PM
Thread OP

Peter Rake's Sperry Monoplane

The August 2002 Flying Scale Models features yet another free Peter Rake plan, the Sperry Monoplane. Of course, it's up to Peter's usual high standard, yet is simple and light.

Peter acknowledges that he didn't have much to go on for full-size reference on this aircraft, which mated a new parasol wing onto a surplus Jenny fuselage, so he guessed about a color scheme. I have one of the old Profile Publications on the Jenny, and there is one poor photo that shows a Sperry conversion in some uniformly light color, either white or aluminum dope or maybe yellow... It also shows the vertical fin as having a straight leading edge, rather than the curved fin that Peter modeled. I don't recall exactly if the two cockpits were shown as widely separated as Peter's model shows.

Food for thought for anyone else interested in the Sperry Monoplane.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2002, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
Hello, Peter?
Oct 16, 2002, 02:54 PM
Hello indeed,
You knew I'd have to check out this post, didn't you?

Apparently, the two cockpits were opened up into one large pilot/passenger bay so that she could carry three passengers in addition to the pilot. Well, that's what it intimated on the rubber power plan at any rate.

Thanks for the interest and kind remarks,

Pete
Oct 16, 2002, 10:24 PM
Jruggerio
I checked my copy of the Profile on the JN4D (Thanks for the tip - I wish they would republish the old Profile series). The picture is in mine as well, but it is labeled as a Sikorsky version rather than the Sperry version. It has two cockpit holes instead of the big open tub that is on Pete's plans. It also says that several other small companies attempted to rewing the Jenny. That got me started looking at other books. Robert Casari's "Encyclopedia of U.S. Military Aircraft 1908-WW I" dosn't have any pictures of the Sperry Monoplane, but it had neat pictures of the twin engine JN. Also some good pictures of a Bristol Scout tested in the US during WW I. Alas, it never got US markings on it. Maybe that will inspire me to finish my Bristol Scout. Too many airplanes, too little time.
Gerry
Oct 17, 2002, 01:42 PM
Thread OP
Gerry Markgraf,

you are correct about the Sikorski Jenny. Not having my Profile in front of me, I worked from leaky memory.

For my taste, I prefer the Sikorski version. Don't know why. Maybe it looks more like a Jenny than the Sperry conversion.

I think that Paul Matt did some nice drawings of the twin Jenny. But that's me recalling from my leaky memory.
Oct 18, 2002, 03:39 PM
Three views of the Sperry Mono that Peter interpeted in such a charming way can be found in Yhe Aircraft Yearbook 3-View Drawings on page 216. Great job as usual Peter. I'm a long-time fan, thank you for all you have done.
Oct 18, 2002, 06:25 PM
Charles,
Many thanks for your kind remarks, they are appreciated.

Did I get it roughly correct? I haven't seen any reference other than the rubber power plan.

Pete
Oct 18, 2002, 11:42 PM
Thread OP
Peter,

was this rubber version in the lamented, late Model Builder magazine?
Oct 19, 2002, 03:25 AM
I bought the plan from SAMS, the British purveyor of all things free flight. Where it was originally published I have no idea, probably Hannan's Runway, a great source for inspiration.

Pete
Oct 19, 2002, 12:40 PM
Peter,
As usual you were dead on. The three-views in The Aircraft Yearbook look as if they were ruduced from your drawings.
A great book for the modeler, "Aircraft Yearbook 3-view Drawings, 1903-1946" by J.W. McDonald, copyright 1997, Published by J.W. McDonald, POB 23, Windom, Kansas 67491, if anyone is interested. It's available from Hannans Runway.
I collect as many of your drawings as I can, they are a wonderful inspiration to me. I also design small semi-scale electric models. The more obscure, the better. You and Mr. Hannan are my heros. Please keep up the great work.
Best regards,
Charles, AC6WU

Quick Reply