This thread is privately moderated by MPP, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 14, 2007, 03:14 PM
MPP
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Thread OP
Discussion

flying identity

I figured I would try out this blog thing here on RCGroups. As I understand it I think I can really talk about almost anything that has to do with flying. Hmmmm. What the heck, I don’t have that much to offer and certainly I could go on and on about trivial things and stuff. However…….

History of my flying identity,

It all started when I was a kid. I pretty much wanted to jump off of everything. Problem was I was not very airworthy and ended up with some bruises and bumps. Next came the glue sniffing stages of my life. A few plastic models and a heave and guess what? They don’t fly very well. What’s next. Down to the local hobby shop and the Guillows flying model kit. WOW this should fly. Bunch of glue, balsa, few slices in the fingers from the exacto knife, tissue paper and then run out to the backyard wile winding the rubber band and then through it, and watch my new creation go right into the ground. My first introduction to BOB (not the Battle of Brittan but a newly formed Bag Of Balsa) Hmmmm after about four or five of these it was time to add some real power to them. A Cox .020 motor and down to the playground, spend an hour trying to get it started then in an instant it is running and we let it go, and like the previous, bang I have a BOB.

After two more of these I finally moved on to trains. This kept me busy for the next ten years or so but every once in a while I would build a balsa plane and dress it up in the hopes of figuring out flight.

I temporarily satisfied my flying through skiing. This was the one way I could get in the air albeit a short time, but with a landing that did not end up in a BOB. Finally flight without the crash, well not entirely true as there were some pretty good crashes. They say any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Hmmmm. Enough about skiing but I do still like to catch air, just not as much.

As age increases hopefully income does too. Well with a new job and some disposable income it was down to the airport and the purchase of 20 hours in a Cessna 152. A year later I got my pilots license and no BOB’s. Had my instructor known about my modeling experience I am not sure I would have made takeoff roll. Oh well the skies were mine now. I was a sponge trying to learn as much as I could I even added an instrument rating and have several hours of aerobatics. I am totally hooked on this flying thing.

All is going well and then the flight that would change my flying life. I have a date with a lovely woman and I suggest a flight down around the Statue of Liberty. Great day and I taxi out with my girl. Take the active runway push the throttle to the wall and all of the sudden I have this feeling on my right leg. What the…?.it is her hand grabbing me and later I am to find out she is scared of heights. Glad I found out after our little trip.

So how does this change things? We get married and fly off into the sunset, well not quite fly but you know how things change. Two children later and all flying currency lapsed. Still wouldn’t change anything.

Thank god for the invent of foam, Brushless motors, and lipo’s. Without these things I would have been right back where I started. BOB! I am back into the hobby. I needed to get my flying need fulfilled and building and flying these Electric RC planes has been very gratifying. I really enjoy this hobby and all the people in it. And of course all the Balsa and foam manufactures I have helped support.

There is something about watching the aircraft you fly rather than a fairly static view from a cockpit. Don’t get me wrong I still long for pushing the throttle and pulling on the stick, but this is a safer and cool way to have fun flying.

So that’s my flying identity,

Bob, Oops, I mean Mark

Current Hanger:

Airworthy:
GWS ME 109 Park 400 9 7.5 APC prop
GWS Corsair #1 AXI 2212/20 8 8 APC prop
GWS Corsair #2 Himax 2025-5300 Cobri GB 6.9:1 Vario (4) 9.7”
GWS Spitfire Himax 2025-4200 Cobri GB 6.8:1 MAS 9 7
Eflite P-47 “Mad Cow” Park 480 10 7 APC (it really Moooves)
Guillows FW 190 Kit 406 26” Rimefire 22M 1000Kv 7 5 APC prop 8.5 Oz.
Parkzone P-51 stock with Lipo conversion.
Lazar Arts P-51 Himax 2025-5300 Cobri GB 7:1 Vario (4)
Soarstar trainer Geared 280 pusher

Yet to maiden:
Scorpio Spitfire Brushed speed 400 (needs brushless upgrade) My first assembly

In the Works:
Guillows P-40 Kit 405 28” will get a Park 400 and Vario (3) with spinner mod
Guillows P47 Kit 1001 30” will get a Himax something and four blade done as “Blue Eyes” my friends father’s bird.

Contemplating:

Something twin

Scrap pile:

Split 280 Stripped for Guillows conversion. Just used to learn on.

Cheers!
Guillows FW-190 with Helmet Cam (2 min 21 sec)
Last edited by MPP; Mar 07, 2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Add Video
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2007, 08:44 AM
Its up... Nope its not
No, I think you just offered the most important info in the hobby. Dont let it get you down. Just have fun. Great story.
Mar 21, 2007, 11:29 AM
MPP
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Thread OP
Thanks Raven,

Glad you enjoyed it. I certaily have had lot's of fun in this hobby.

Blue skies forever!

Mark

Quick Reply