Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 14, 2007, 11:53 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Hall CHEROKEE II from TMRC

Hi,

digging into balsa wood again after so many years has been so much fun during the Schweizer 1-23 build that I decided to continue with the Hall Chereokee II. Initially I wanted to build a 4 m Schweizer 1-34 from an enlarged Sterling plan but the picturers on Tom`s page were so seducing... and here we are.

I knew from the specs that the Cherokee is a massive plane but when I had the first look onto the plans I was really astonished to see the real size. Anyway this assured me further in my decision as my workshop is small and I like to thermal high: Building will be (reasonably ;-) ) comfortable and visibility in flight will be even better compared to an average 4 m+ sailplane!

Well, the table is cleared after some minor repairs and building will start these days.
The photos show plans and the laser-cut half-kit from Tom, together with some spars and balsa sheet which I aquired locally.

And Tom, get back to good health soon in case this topic will stir up further interest in your work ;-)))

Herbert

P.S. Oooops, I shall reduce the picture size next time!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2007, 12:10 PM
Way to go, Herbert. You are quite the craftsman and I know we will all enjoy this building thread. You might also want to show a few shots of your magnificant workshop complete with skylights...it's the best I've ever seen!

Regards,

Steve
Mar 14, 2007, 12:35 PM
http://www.gliding.co.nz/vintagekiwi...e/cherokee.htm

I was at a museum in Tauranga 2 weeks ago and saw the cherokee hanging from the roof. A beautiful glider. The above link will let you see some photos of it and the process of getting it there. I also got to sit in the cockpit of a Hawker Hunter which was COOL! Good luck with the build I look forward to seeing this model as it progresses.
Mar 14, 2007, 10:45 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
I am signing on!
I have been trying to decide on which of Toms planes to order and I keep coming back to the Cherokee. Its a beautiful plane and I am sure you will do it justice like you did with the 1-23. Hopefully I will be ordering my kit in the next couple of weeks(too many projects not enough time)

cooper998
Mar 15, 2007, 12:59 AM
Here's another cherokee photo.
Mar 15, 2007, 06:54 AM
Signing on. I've got the 1/8 TG-2, and the 1/5 1-26E from Tom. My only problem right now is trying to decide which one to start first!
Mar 15, 2007, 11:13 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
Sweet.

Nice pic, John. Thanks for sharing.
Mar 15, 2007, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Thanks everybody for the feedback and the additional information!

After today`s successful maiden flight of a small e-powered plane (which would not go my way during the past days due to wrong prop recommendations from the manufacturer which kept me repairing it twice) and beautiful flying weather after three months of a mild yet clumsy winter, the kick-off will be tomorrow - worsening weather will be helping ;-)))

Herbert
Mar 15, 2007, 02:15 PM

"nother Pic

Courtesy of Mark Nankivil, a Cherokee with a (looks like) fiberglassed nose.

Dave Smith
Mar 18, 2007, 11:37 AM
Thread OP
There we go!

I started with the wings as I find wing building boring and I want to have them ready when it comes to built the fuselage...

Preliminary work was twofold:

The inner half of the main spar shear webs are precut from 1/8" balsa (whereas the outer half has to be cut from 1/16" scratch material). I am not a follower of the "much yields much" design/building theory, but the experience with a "Sagitta 900" wing spar (which I built some 15 years ago) convinced me deeply that a VERY good shear web/spar sandwich is producing a wing which can take quite some abuse (in case it is needed). So I glued the webs onto a piece of 5 mm balsa and I have now 8 mm webs. The outer webs will be cut from 5 and 3 mm balsa.

I have very good results with the aluminum wing joiner rod on the 1-23 and it is also part of this kit. Unfortunately Tom did not supply the appropriate length by mistake (corrected now!), so before going through all the nuisance of overseas mailing I decided to "europeanise" the wing attachement by replacing the 3/8" rod by a 10 mm steel piece which required opening the rib holes just by a little fraction if an inch.

And then the actual building has started by a careful alignment of the root ribs. To be followed....

Steve proposed to show my workshop... Well have a look in there. At the right side of the door there is the wall... and Tom`s plans are so huge that I needed to make a makeshift suspension on the wing rack (which can be lowered with a rope...) ;-)))

Herbert
Mar 18, 2007, 07:32 PM
Lookin' good Herbert! Amazing how the grandest of sailplanes start off as a humble set of ribs and a couple of spars. Are your weight bags filled with sand or something a bit more high tech?

I think you've finally inspired me to do a build thread on my new Decathlon tow plane, it's coming along...slowly.

Regards,

Steve
Mar 19, 2007, 09:01 AM
Thread OP
Well, Steve,

the sandbags are very handy and definitely "low tech": (Welded) PE deep freeze bags from my wife`s kitchen and the sand from the now obsolete grand children`s sandpit...

Herbert
Mar 19, 2007, 09:31 AM
Charlie
This is great to see, I have this kit and hope to start building in about three weeks. So I will be watching closely.
Mar 20, 2007, 03:58 PM
Thread OP
daedaluscan,

donc je dois travailler vite afin que je reste à la tête de la course?! ;-)))

@ all
Well, I think the preparatory work was well done with all shear webs ready and the lower trailing edge already reinforced with stripes of 1/64" ply. This way the wing went together in no time so far.
Next steps will be leading edge subspar and sheeting (yet this has to wait as we are travelling for two days).

Herbert
Mar 22, 2007, 03:01 AM
Charlie
No worries, you can totally relax; I am way behind you.

Where did you get the spruce, and is it in metric dimensions or imperial?

Quick Reply