Twister CP belt mod, yes another one - RC Groups
Mar 14, 2007, 07:44 AM
Discussion

Twister CP belt mod, yes another one

Been asked a while ago to mod a Twister CP to belt drive. Finally got around to it and surprised how this flys. The tail holds like a 30 size.

Not a big fan of motored tails and gears (see www.freestyle-hobby.com) so this is half way there, I guess.

The system is designed for the use with the original radio and literally bolts on, using limited tools. I drilled two holes in the original RX tray and that was all. Of course the 4 in1 will have to be dumped (at least the speed control gyro side of it, unless someone has found a way to make it work with a standard gyro etc) an investment made in a gyro, servo and speedy. I still used the same RX and TX.

The 44T belt pulley is bolted to the main gear using an ally brace which works around the main gear spoke pattern.
Boom clamp fits to the original 5mm boom and then holds the lower G10 tray.
The tail is my own Freestyle design from the all-belt-drive, but bored out to suit the 9mm carbon boom. Using Trex slider and hub, Honey Bee King Tail blades. Also CNC'd my own servo clamps.

All up weight with TP1300 3S pack is 368 grams and pulls around 5-6 amps while in hover and gentle flying. Using an Axi 2208/20, and big pinion (can't remember the size!). Pg03 gyro and HS50 tail servo. The other servos are stock.

Will be looking at other models like Blade Cp (I think it is the same chassis?), Honey Bee, Knight Ranger etc to mod.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2007, 08:03 AM
Team Mulikow
There you go, a true belt tail conversion kit. You've done an excellent job working with the stock frame. I can see my CP2 sporting one someday. But I see it still runs on a tall pinion gear and the low kv motor. Does this mean we can't use our 4200kv brushless motors?
Mar 14, 2007, 08:47 AM
key
key
I'd love to see something like that out for the HoneyBee King - but a lot of people might be upgrading to King V2 parts to get the belt driven tail.
Mar 14, 2007, 04:53 PM
The motor was spare and just happened to have the right size pinion in stock, but you can use what ever motor combination that works with the original setup.
A belt drive will always draw more amps from the main motor, but its the only motor.
Mar 14, 2007, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella
The motor was spare and just happened to have the right size pinion in stock, but you can use what ever motor combination that works with the original setup.
A belt drive will always draw more amps from the main motor, but its the only motor.
How does the increased amperage draw compare to a shaft-driven tail?

-Codesource
Mar 14, 2007, 08:06 PM
Wow, I think that looks great!
I possibly could upgrade my stock HB FP. and not gain much weight.
This is just a bolt on kit.

any idea on cost??
Mar 14, 2007, 08:24 PM
Team Mulikow
That's great Rosella. Keep us posted on that CP2 tail kit.
Mar 14, 2007, 09:05 PM
Amp draw is a little more than the the shaft drive, but if you ever owned a shaft drive, couple of extra amps won't matter. I have an old Hornet and will run the data logger on it but it has a scale body with a brushed motor, so won't be apples to apples.

I am pricing the kit up now and trying to keep it under AUD 100.00, or USD 80.00. I know there are heaps of other belt systems cheap but this will help the flyer who has a Twister CP and heaps of spares and doesn't want to change to a new heli etc.

Have an indoor session tonight and will hopefully get some video. Been flying for it for a week and can't believe how wll it goes with the original radio.
Mar 14, 2007, 09:23 PM
You had your thinkin' cap on and it fit just right. That is a very nice conversion! With the lowered boom, do the skids still sit level or does the tail skid prop it up a bit? The lower boom should help prevent boom strikes as well.
Mar 14, 2007, 09:32 PM
The LG are a tight fit. I have the heli sitting nose down, just slightly. Lower tray does allow fitment for heavy duty nylon LG which I use on my other belt drives
Mar 14, 2007, 09:41 PM
Team Mulikow
Sent you an email on how to do away with the stock battery tray with your design. I think working with as much parts of the stock heli intact is brilliant. It just makes the conversion much more attractive, affordable, and scale-able to one's preferences. Great work. I am looking forward to the Cp2 version.
Mar 14, 2007, 11:07 PM
Gino, can you send me a pic of the CP2 chassis as I recon it is the one a friend loan me the other day.
Mar 15, 2007, 12:12 AM
Team Mulikow

Mar 15, 2007, 02:53 AM
Thanks Gino, yes is the same. Won't be a problem. Got your drawing and will have a close look at it tonight.
Mar 15, 2007, 08:52 AM
Got some video tonight and posted it here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...67#post7096961