New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2007, 04:21 AM
Find More Posts by woody429924
Warbird Junkie
Discussion

How do you install the ailerons on a GWS Corsair?

It seems very difficult, and it seems that it can't be done without bending the wire. If you do that, the aileron won't move staight up and down; it will have pull to the left and right as well, right?

The instuction manual is such a help. "Install aileron rod and glue down tubes." Gee guys, a little help please?
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:29 AM
Find More Posts by Googleplex
It's a really big number.
The trick is to cut the tube into 4 bits and equally space them along the wire and 'bow' the wire around the bend (not bend the wire with a pair of pliers etc). It does work, but with a bit of wire under constant spring like that can bind easily and is pretty high friction all the time.

What most people do is stick a separate servo in each wing.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:34 AM
Find More Posts by jimsky
Trying to defy gravity...
Yup...I just installed a GWS Pico servo in each wing and was done with it.

Jimsky
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by reg3
Is it SEFF yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleplex
What most people do is stick a separate servo in each wing.
That is my plan too. Sounds like the best way to avoid trouble.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:43 AM
Find More Posts by Jagzilla
I fly for Beer
When done properly though, the stock arrangement does work fine. Extra wing servo equals more weight and more cost.
J
Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:35 AM
Find More Posts by twchdyn
i bet the wire weighs more than a servo. i used 2 9gram servos
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by alienx
Quote:
Originally Posted by twchdyn
i bet the wire weighs more than a servo. i used 2 9gram servos
You are correct. At least, the net change was not as high as would have been expected. Those torque rods are heavy.

I put the rods in originally, but just didn't like how they behaved afterward. So i pulled the wires and put two servos in the wings. Now I am ready to pull those out and put them back in the top of the wing instead. But the plane behaves much better with the two servos (in my case). I think you'll find close to a 50/50 split of people that liked the stock set-up and people that worked around it.

I'll tell you how I did it though. I didn't cut the tube in small pieces. The longer tube gave me more holding power without the epoxy running past the ends of the tube and fouling the rod. I used one full tube each on the center of the wing end, and the aileron end. I glued both spots at the same time and then used a 1/8" thick scrap of balsa to push the rod into the bottom of the channel. I found that pushing it at the deepest part of the bend was all it took to get the whole thing to sit down. I wasn't smart enough to tie it down or anything like that. I held it for an hour!!

Good luck. It's a nice plane. I think you'll like it at least as much as the Ultrafly you've been playing with. It should come out a lot lighter.