Mar 13, 2007, 04:58 AM
Horned one
Thread OP
Discussion

Paging those with electrified HF models DG 1000's

Hi guys,

I am contemplating the purchase of an HF-models DG-1000, the 3'70m sheeted wing version. I would aerotow it now and then, but would be left to my own devices for day-to-day use. I have read this is a good thermaller and a great candidate for electrifying in the cheap, sacrilegous way (read: nose job).

For those of you that have electrified one, would you please share your powertrain and performance using it? a pic or two would be most appreciated, as I am trying to work out just how much of the scale cockpit could be retained, or whether it would have to be eliminated altogether, which wouldn't please me much. Also, would a launching dolly or bungee launch be necessary for ROG, or is the model's wing load light enough to be handlaunched?

Thank you!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2007, 06:52 AM
Mine has a Hacker B50-13S+6.7:1, 70 amp controller, RFM 20-13 prop, Graupner collet style spinner, HL 4S lipo (about 4500 size). Takes a little practice but you can hand launch yourself, though better to have a friend who knows how to hand launch do it for you.

Launches like a shot, up to thermal altitude in 20 seconds or less, gobs of battery capacity, flies somewhat faster than I'd like but all in all great fun to fly and thermals nicely and quite aerobatic.

Be careful if you plan to aerotow as it's considered bad form to inadvertently hit the motor switch on tow instead of the tow release!

I'll try to take some photos and post later today.

Originally I flew this plane with a nicad pack, very disappointing. Switching to lipos made a dramatic difference.

I'm sure you will love this plane with the same or similar electric setup. Once at altitude you don't see the prop and the plane flies great!

Good luck,

Steve
Mar 13, 2007, 07:27 AM
Mine is the same as Steve's except I am not propped up as high. I use an 18/12 prop at about 53 amps at slightly lower watts, but still a very aggressive climb out!
Lately I've swapped the wings for the DG505 (different wing platform) but it allows me to place the battery under the back seat and have a full cockpit), Dg 1000 being more of a floater though.

Richard
Mar 13, 2007, 07:28 AM
Horned one
Thread OP
Steve, do you have a flying weight and/or wattage? did you retain the scale cockpit? I'm all ears here.

Re hitting the throttle on tow, I will be removing the prop blades, but wouldn't that retrieve the line nicely? all tidily wound around the glider's nose...
Mar 13, 2007, 08:04 AM
Horned one
Thread OP
Thanks Richard, seems like you posted as I was typing. Do you launch it yourself, too? I calculate around 750 watts for yours.
Mar 13, 2007, 09:01 AM
That about right, and yes I do hand lauch it myself(with a running start of course). When chosing your prop ,keep an eye on the voltage(per cell) you may get more watts when propping up, but your voltage might be below what is called for.

Richard
Mar 13, 2007, 10:51 AM
Where's the lift?
zero-zero,

I did a column in Quiet Flyer on this subject (V11-10, Oct 2006), featuring my DG505, with a listing of other guys' DG505s and DG1000s and their power systems (including Steve and Richard in the above posts). My DG505 is powered with a Plettenberg Orbit 25-14 spinning a CAM18x9 folder, on a 3s 3200mah lipo pack. 55amps at full draw, for 615 watts sustained, and 9.5 lbs AUW yields 65watts/lb. Fun, fun, fun sailplane.

Don.
Mar 13, 2007, 11:08 AM
OK Don, now you're completely out of excuses...since Richard and I will be at the JR aerotow with our electric DG's this year, you've gotta come too! Just imagine 3 electric DGs taking off at the same time. Now just imagine trying to keep track of your own model! Richard...does this bring back not so fond memories?!

Have fun,

Steve
Mar 13, 2007, 11:28 AM
Horned one
Thread OP
Don,

I don't suppose there's anyway I could check that article, is it? QF is unavailable here.

There seems to be some consensus about the great results of this electrification. I'm feeling quite motivated to pull the trigger on this one. I really wanted an oldtimer (Jaskolka or Sperber Jr especially), but local aerotowing is not too frequent and I can't bring myself to the sacrilege of electrifying an old beauty. decisions, decisions...

so, did you guys get to keep the cockpit, or had to forgo it? why can you keep it with the '505 and not with the '1000 wings, Richard? different CG location? :?
Mar 13, 2007, 11:46 AM
Where's the lift?
zero-zero,

PM me on the article.

I can lay the canopy seat tray right on top of the lipo pack, which lays down in the belly of the fuselage. I need to get some pilots for it, though. Looks empty and strangely UAV without some human life forms on board.
Mar 13, 2007, 01:20 PM
Yes Zero, The entire wingplanform is forward swept on the Dg1000, bringing the CG way forward of the 505. When I flew the 1000 I used 12*CP1700 that lay flat and allowed both front and rear pilot seats. The lipos are stacked higher and in my case did not allow the forward seat to be placed. I could have overcome the problem by adding extra noseweight, but that would bring the models weight up. My 1000 weighs in at about 8.25lbs, making it a real floater, even the 505 is a very docile model at the same weight! Leave out plywood trays and rely on velcro straps to keep batteries and receivers in place, think less is better!

Steve,
Is Rober Dissler going to be there?!

Regards,
Richard
Mar 13, 2007, 01:49 PM
Horned one
Thread OP
I have done that (trayless installations) in my Solution and my Discus, both went very well. Am a firm believer in the technique now!

Thanks again. Don, I will contact you shortly.

Now, how about a pic or two to spice up this thread?
Mar 13, 2007, 02:23 PM
Where's the lift?

Dg505e

Just some tiny pics right now, can post bigfiles later, with interior close-ups.
Mar 14, 2007, 05:36 AM
Horned one
Thread OP
I was thinking about a fixed wheel -with only half of it protruding- to save some weight (offsetting part of the propulsion pack). Would you recommend the retract? I'm not too keen on overcomplicating things either. I have a fixed wheel on my Solution and one can only see it at approach altitudes really, so it does not look out of place.

Thanks for the pics - beautiful bird, I can't see why it isn't more popular.

Quick Reply