Mar 11, 2007, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Dragon Sleigh

Here is the concept.

A single seat sport flier canard with forward sweep wing and is a lifting body also.

I have been working on this for some time and could not come to a conclusion as to the outcome. It is a collage of different parts from different design concepts of mine. Originally, in 85 I started to build RC planes, my first was my own design. An ambitious project, derived from an urge to fly my own design. Well… over the years I played with the idea and tried different things. This has emerged from all of those images, now a model.

I entered the “FOAMIES (SCRATCH BUILD) to push the envelope of building my dream. My skills are better when I take my time, but my impatience got the better of me. Fortunate for me in this contest the design was conceived and needed only to be built. The details are yet to be worked out, as the prototype did encounter some issues with the latch of the canopy. A problem still on the drawing board.

I built several 10” prototypes working out the wing configuration. The last has proven to be a steady glide. I hope this will be the same for the contest.

Next build the 30” wing and test.
Last edited by P2-betterfly; Mar 15, 2007 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Canopy update
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2007, 12:45 PM
J. Titors gr8 grandson...
I like the design, very inovated.
Mar 11, 2007, 02:15 PM
Fantastic model I like this
mesnick
Mar 12, 2007, 01:37 AM
Cool!

Actually, I wish it wasnt soooooo cool - your going to be serious competition!

Larry
Mar 12, 2007, 06:31 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
That certainly is different ... Do you think the canard area is rather small or is it going to be non-working ... pitch controlled with elevons ??? like the way you got the vertical fin area in ... Cool !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Mar 12, 2007, 08:50 PM
Burner!!
very nice, and unique. The color scheme for a toucan comes to mind by the way.
Last edited by PlaneCrazee; Mar 13, 2007 at 10:20 PM.
Mar 12, 2007, 10:22 PM
FNG-4-Life
This has a great looking snub-fighter stance to it.
Mar 12, 2007, 10:27 PM
Starting to Rebuild
Looks alot like the drop ship in the first Alien VS. Preditor comic way back when. I cant wait to see finished.
Mar 15, 2007, 06:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
That certainly is different ... Do you think the canard area is rather small or is it going to be non-working ... pitch controlled with elevons ??? like the way you got the vertical fin area in ... Cool !!!
The canard is non-working for this one. I plan to change that next version with the verticals. they will be working together in an X configuration both front canards will be individual using elevon set-up along with the verticals then the ailerons will be more like flaps.
Mar 15, 2007, 07:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazee
very nice, and unique. The color scheme for a toucan comes to mind by the way.
At first did not know what a toucan was. I gave it some though an realize the shape came to play Fruit-Loop Bird... Coool..... I like that. I searhed the web to confirm a Toucan was and sure it was. Many colors to choose from.

Maybe I should change the name from DragonSleigh to TouCan

So here is a candidate
Last edited by P2-betterfly; Mar 15, 2007 at 08:09 PM.
Mar 15, 2007, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
Last night I came home early. Eraly is before 10...somthing I have not experience for a long time. Well...I tackleed the canopy problem and found a simple solution. by adding a cross section in the nose of the canopy and sloted the nose bulkhead to catch the crossing menber made for a good catch.

This weekend is the start of my week off from work. NOW I CAN REALY GET THING DONE.
Mar 15, 2007, 11:03 PM
it reminds me of star wars episode II it would be cool if u made it look like that
Mar 16, 2007, 02:21 PM
Planes are cool ;)
That's a really interesting idea! Very cool and sci-fi
What motor/kit you planning on running?

Hugh
Mar 17, 2007, 11:36 AM
Thread OP
I plan to use

Motor: RCer Revolution DIY Outrunners => Stick mount W/7T 22 ga.
ESC: Hobbywing Sword-A25
BATT: Apogee 3S1P 1570mAh or if to heavy LiPower Lites 3S 730 mAh
Prop: APC 5.5 x 4.5
RCVR: Berg 4 ch microstamp
SrVo: Blue Bird 2x BMS-380

As a percausion I reduce my drawing by 20% making for a 22" wing span. This is to compensate for the size of plane to power train if it fly slugish. I fee cofident it will work with the existing model.

It weigh 7 oz. without the gear and add an othe 7 oz. for the gear this come to 14oz. with 1570mAh batt.

Today I wil begin to install control surfaces and paint. I plan a maiden flight on monday wether permiting.
Last edited by P2-betterfly; Mar 18, 2007 at 12:49 AM.
Mar 18, 2007, 02:44 PM
Thread OP

Preped up and ready to fly

2007-03-18

I know, it is not pretty, but it convey the concept well. My next one will be better with the lessons learned from this contest. Scratch build techniques are so many and finding the right one for the project makes that difference. What I learned from this venture the foam can be sculpted into shape, there are layering techniques and there bending techniques. Most of all is the finish techniques are what make the bird beautiful. I would like to propose a tread dedicated to finishing techniques like this tip I discovered and plan to use.

Block build and sanding down to shape with 50 or 80 grit and then 150 before coating it with 50/50 mix of lightweight wall spackle and water or windex, then sand with 220 grit and 320 grit.

This would have probably turned my ugly ductling into a pretty CanTou

Well it is ready to fly. Last night I charged the TX and the batteries. This morning I painted the teeth and hooked up the control surfaces, and then I started the motor and checked the control surface travel, it is all works fine. Tomorrow is the big day.

P2 BetterFly ~v~
Last edited by P2-betterfly; Mar 18, 2007 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply