Mar 10, 2007, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
New Product

New Charger? Apache Smart Charger SM-2700Li?

I just got a e-mail from bphobbies.com about a new charger.
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...0&pid=B1018379

It sounds decent, here's the features.
Charges 1-5 Lithium Polymer Cells
11V-15V DC Input
Selectable charge rates: 500mA, 1000mA, 1500mA, 2000mA, 3000mA, 3500mA
Reverse polarity protection on input and output
Banana jack outputs with JST charging adapter included
Barrel jack input for DC supply. Alligator clips included
<LI>Data port jack for optional SM-510 balancer (coming soon)
I can't find any information on this chargeron any of the forums, and even Google isn't finding anything very helpful.

Does anyone have any comments?
Last edited by rob10000; Mar 10, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2007, 08:51 PM
Looks new to me....
Mar 10, 2007, 10:06 PM
Not bad... It can do 5s at 3.5 amps for $50. The old Apache 2500 can do 4s at 2.5amps for $45-50.
Mar 28, 2007, 06:11 AM
Thread OP
Well, I never found anyone who has used this charger yet.
But Hobby-Lobby is having a March Madness 20% off sale, so I picked one up for about $40.
I'll relate my impressions when it gets here next week.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/chargers_lipoly.htm
Aug 11, 2007, 07:36 AM

SM-2700li LiPoly Charger

I purchased this charger from Hobby Lobby along with 2 PolyQuest 11.1V 800 mAh 20C batteries and the PolyQuest PCM Guard. At first, I could not get this charger to charge the battery because it always went into its error mode 1. Error mode 1 is when the "timeout auto detection" alarm goes off and the green and yellow "Full" and "Charge" LEDs blink. This happens after 5 minutes. I set the current to 0.5 amp and the cells to 3, but the charger would always go into error mode 1. I was quite frustrated with the charger and thought I had a bad charger, bad battery or bad PCM guard. I was ready to send this charger back, but thought I should endure and keep trying. After many, many attempts, I finally got a full charge on the battery by setting the current to 1 amp. Here is the scoop on this charger: the charger always goes thru a few "false starts" in which it goes into error mode 1 and you have to turn the charger off and then start charging again. Each time you do this, some charge gets into the battery during the 5 minute cell detection period. After enough charge gets into the battery, the false starts stop and charging takes place. I would have to say that the fault of this charger is that it required constant attention until it finally "takes" and charges to completion. My last charge only had 1 false start and then the charge went forward normally. Here are some details.

1. Set the current to 1 amp for a 800 mha pack.
2. Set the cell count to 3.
3. Turn on the charger. The "Charge" yellow led will flash.
4. Monitor the charger to see if it goes into error code 1. So far, it always has at least once.
5. If it goes into error mode 1, re-start the charge by pushing the start/stop button. Do this each time (don't be surprised if you have to do this 5 times!)
6. You will know if the charger is happy by looking at the current led (which was green) and is flashing as per the instructions. The charger is now charging in constant current mode.
7. When the charge is near completion, the yellow led in the cell count window will start to blink and the green led referenced in 6 above will stop blinking.
8. After a few minutes, the green "charge" light will go on and the pack is ready. An 800 mha pack to about 1/2 hour to charge.

It should be noted that the instructions are quite accurate in that the charger behaves exactly like the instructions say. The only issue I see with this charger is the fact that it goes into the error condition 1 too much and therefore requires constant attention until you see that its charging normally (as indicated by the green 1Amp led blinking in the charge current window).

Anyway, the charger is working for me thru the PCM Guard and I'll keep it. The 800 mha LiPoly packs are awsome. Compared to the NiCads that used to power my out runner equipped Slow Stick, the LiPoly's give me about 5 times the flight time as the NiCads. Great little batteries! If I had to do it again, I would get another charger.

Hope this helps.
Aug 11, 2007, 07:39 PM
Wow that sure does look a lot (and I mean a lot) like the Thunder Power TP535 charger.

For the small price difference I'd get the genuine TP charger. I don't know about the SM-2700Li, but I have a TP-535 and I like it a lot, especially because of it's size. However, it I'd recommend using it with a balancer and when you add in a balancer the total price is more than a Cellpro.

The reason I use the TP-535 instead of the Cellpro is because I use LiIon RX packs in my nitro aircraft that do not have taps, thus I cannot charge them with the Cellpro.

http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/cba-chargers.html

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...ERS-POWER.html

Quick Reply