Mar 10, 2007, 02:58 PM
Happy bluesman
Thread OP
Rave

Hangar 9 electric Piper Cub

I just would like to share my satisfaction with my new 6 footer J-3 e-Cub from Hangar 9. After being away from assembling models for quite a long time, I found this ARF kit very complete, well put together and true. All necessary parts were included, all of them fit each other, instructions are very clear and the quality of the materials is superb.
I just needed to add my radio and flight pack, a large 6000 mAh Li-Pol batt, a 70 amp ESC and a 15X8 prop to complete this bird in 3 nights.
This plane flyes like a dream for those of us who like tranquil, scale flying planes. The e-Flite 46 motor produces more than necessary power for short take-offs and mild aerobatics. The plane is stable and very well behaved. It'll fly at 1/2 throttle attaining 25 min. long flights with my batt set.
It lands very slow and short. I've flown it in 10 to 15 mph winds and althoug Cubs are known for their kite-like manners, the e-Flite 46 and this kit's sturdiness possitively counters any wind-shyness on behalf of the Cub. Neverthe less calm wind days are much more enjoyable with this pretty plane.
I highly recommend this ARF for us older boys who want a reliable, fun and easy going plane.
Cheers.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2007, 03:53 PM
Looks like a nice model for relaxed flying. How many cells in the flight pack. Is it a 2 piece wing?
Mar 10, 2007, 03:59 PM
Tor-Dk,

The eflite 46 uses 4 or 5 cell Lipo set up. Plenty of power for a cub .
Mar 10, 2007, 04:08 PM
Would 4S 3700mAh be enough for 10 mins flight?

I already have a few of those.
Mar 10, 2007, 04:59 PM
Happy bluesman
Thread OP
Yes Tor-DK it's a two piece wing. And I figure that you'd get some 10 min. flight time out of 3700 mAh with a minimum of throttle management
Mar 10, 2007, 09:31 PM
I agree, in this non pwr hungry plane a 4S 3700 should work well and I would expect 9-12 minutes with good throttle management.

Fred
Mar 11, 2007, 08:59 AM
I agree a very nice plane. I have not yet maiden mine, hopefully soon.

There is a thread another thread in the to Glow to Electric Conversion forum about mods for the this plane started by No Step.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650451

Jim
Mar 11, 2007, 09:05 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor-DK
Would 4S 3700mAh be enough for 10 mins flight?

I already have a few of those.
With a plane this size, you could run 2 packs in parallel to get more flight time and not have any weight penalty.
Mar 12, 2007, 02:43 AM
The sky is my playground.
Just a little FYI, I found it easier to assemble the plane (at the flying field) with the bolt/lock nuts that connect at the fuse to be just the oposite as you have them. Meaning lock nut on top and hex bolt pointing to the underside of the wing. This way you aren't trying to grip on to the allen key or driver right next to the fuse. I also cut the bolts themselves down to make assembly a little quicker. So far even with the vibration of glow power...I haven't had a single issue. The cub is a well built, great flying plane.
Mar 12, 2007, 08:50 AM
Old School E-Flyer turned FVP
I did this conversion a few months back and mine flies awesome. Here's the thread on it.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599181
Mar 15, 2007, 10:52 AM
Happy bluesman
Thread OP
Jim, I sure like those flaps on your model. I started out by looking for a Super-Cub to get me some flaps but the best choice I found was the Hangar 9 J-3, so I did the best next thing, I programmed my radio to use flaperons. Tell you the truth, I have not had the need to use them, this plane is light and slow, but I like to know they are there. It's been a little breezy where I fly lately, I'll probably experiment with them when it calms down.
Cheers.
Mar 15, 2007, 12:06 PM
Pontificating Member
hrbeta, nice plane! glad you like it and it flies well.
However it doesn't qualify for this forum and should be over in 'Sport' since it isn't a glow conversion. This forum is for planes over 80" in wingspan.
Not being picky here just saying....
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652200

ooops looks like i am wrong here,
hrbeta said 6 footer, but Horizon says 80 inches.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4350
this IS the model right?
very cool.
have a good one
Last edited by tone; Mar 15, 2007 at 12:26 PM.
Mar 15, 2007, 01:10 PM
Happy bluesman
Thread OP
Hey Tone, I'm sorry if I barged in

Here is the descrition for this Forum:

"Giant Electric Planes:
Discuss large electric aircraft that meet IMAA giant scale guidelines: minimum 80" wingspan, 60" wingspan for biplanes, 140" combined width and length for jets, or true 1/4 scale models"

I *thought* by stating "minimum 80 inches", my Hangar 9 Cub would be included (last time I checked the dictionary, "minimum" was an inclusive term). Also, this is not the chapter for conversions.

Police work is always hard, one would not want to be wrong

If me and my Cub are not welcomed here, just say the word, we might be allowed back in when it grows to, say, 80.000001 inches?

NHF
Mar 15, 2007, 01:21 PM
Pontificating Member
heheh sorry about the mix-up, i just figured that the forum would not include 72" span models unless they are actual 1/4 scale, but it looks like yours is the 80" version. In your post you said "6 footer" and there are 72" cubs around, so i stuck my foot in my mouth..
Looking forward to more info as you go along.
Those E-Flite Power Series motors are pretty impressive aren't they?
Mar 15, 2007, 02:22 PM
Old School E-Flyer turned FVP
hehe. yeah h9 cub is 80", but honestly it doestn feel giant scale to me. I want to do another giant scale that actually looks giant I was skeptic to post mine up here cause i wasnt sure, but i'm glad thsi thread popped up cause i could tag along

,mike

Quick Reply