Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 09, 2007, 12:47 PM
Discussion

Almost lost the house last night...

Yup, after a few years of reading the stories, it finally happened, an completely unexplained LiPo Fire.

A bit of background, this relatively new LiPo (a 3s2000, 8C pack) had only a handful of flights on it, it was flown during the day, in a plane equipped with an OSD (on screen display) 'fuel gauge'.
It was balanced the day before, was in great shape physically (unlike myself), and during the flight never exceeded 8A current draw.
Landing was gentle, the 'fuel gauge' reported approx. 1500mAh (of 2000) consumed. Pack was just barely warm.

Pack was put on charge, at a 2A charge rate, on a concrete floor in the basement, with nothing around it (luckily!)

After about 45 minutes I was in the next room, I heard the charger beeping, and the sound of rapidly escaping gasses... followed by smoke, that was the first cell going off.

I've no idea what happened, but it was certainly a wake-up call.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2007, 12:52 PM
Charger not pick the proper cell count? Guess I should have looked at the charger picture duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jim
Last edited by JimClark; Mar 09, 2007 at 01:09 PM.
Mar 09, 2007, 12:52 PM
Suspended Account
Glad to hear no one and nothing else was hurt.

Odd how the outer cells burst but not the center one, usually it's the center one that goes first.

Will
Mar 09, 2007, 01:02 PM
Looks as the AF109 picked it up as a 3s pack. Just a bad lipo.

This is a huge reason why I have changed over to a123 battery's.

Your lucky no other damage.
Mar 09, 2007, 01:05 PM
Well, you picked the best charger to start a fire. Now you can buy a good charger and not worry about it anymore.
Mar 09, 2007, 01:25 PM
Old School E-Flyer
The AF is known to switch cell counts inbetween stage 1 and 2 but according to his screen it's already in the 3rd stage and is displaying the proper cell count. I dont think this is the AF's fault. what you might do to test it is charge another pack with a wattmeter in line to see if the 109's is charging at what it's displaying.
Mar 09, 2007, 01:47 PM
Whose battery pack were you using? As others have said the charger was reading the pack correctly, so it must of been a below par pack? Please, tell us the name on the pack......

I am glad no one was hurt!!!!

Challenger413
Last edited by Challenger 413; Mar 09, 2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Mar 09, 2007, 01:50 PM
You are indeed lucky you were close by when it happened. I have had 2 small fires (small packs) and the smoke and ash is a pain. All over my 45 year old 356 Porsche! I watch verrry carefully now. I like the Cellpro charger so far.
Mar 09, 2007, 01:52 PM
Personally I think you can still probably use that pack if you're careful taping it back together.
Mar 09, 2007, 01:54 PM
You should post this in this thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643192

Challenger413
Mar 09, 2007, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger 413
Whose battery pack were you using? As others have said the charger was reading the pack correctly, so it must of been a below par pack? Please, tell us the name on the pack......

I am glad no one was hurt!!!!

Challenger413
The pack was from commonsenserc, one of their 8C packs, but I should say that I have a number of these identical packs, with 100s of flights, and no trouble until now.
I'm not sure that it was a problem with the pack, but who knows, its impossible to say at this point.
Mar 09, 2007, 02:03 PM
Thank you, it seems that people jump to conclusions too fast when an AF-109 was involved in this type of situation, again I am glad no one was hurt.....

Challenger413
Mar 09, 2007, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams2
Personally I think you can still probably use that pack if you're careful taping it back together.
yeah, I did put the balancer on it after the fire, but the outer two cells read a little lower than the center one
Mar 09, 2007, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams2
Just re-shrink wrap it and posted in the for sale section ("low cycles, hardly used, wifes battery).
Mar 09, 2007, 03:20 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor
Just re-shrink wrap it and posted in the for sale section ("low cycles, hardly used, wifes battery).
LOL. Wouldn't be the first to try it here.

Will