Mar 07, 2007, 02:23 PM
Yes, right there.
Thread OP
Discussion

Edge 540 vs P-51! Who would win?

Well, I guess you could substitute most of the 'big name' aerobats and any of the more capable warbirds, but anyway...
Assuming that both pilots are of equal skill and that the Edge can carry a couple of machineguns and still retain its maneuverability, who do you think would win a dogfight?
Altitude of match, say under 10000 feet
Any version Mustang, any Edge

This is silly, I know! But I was watching a video of Greg Poe tumbling around in his Edge and I couldn't help but wonder
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2007, 02:24 PM
Well, now that you know ...
(does anyone else click on SR's posts just to look at his avatar? )

Sorry. What was the question? Oh, yeah. The Edge.
Mar 07, 2007, 03:11 PM
P-51 looks to be about 275 km/hr faster...I'll go with the P-51.
Mar 07, 2007, 03:13 PM
Verified Long Time Member
the p51 would definately have my vote but it would depend on the power system.
Mar 07, 2007, 05:02 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
This is actually a very interesting question. I saw Greg Poe fly his edge last summer and it was breathtaking to watch. I think as long as the Edge is not over loaded with ammo, it would have the easy advantage. It's got almost 1:1 thrust and breathtaking vertical power. Plus it can turn on a dime. It would fly circles around the Mustang.

Many who read these forums know more about these planes than I, so hopefully they will post.

Here's a few shots of Greg Poes plane in action. -Steve
Mar 07, 2007, 05:06 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
If you were to build a P51 with the same materials and technology that the edge is built with, you would really have something. You could hugely reduce the airframe and engine weight while retaining the power and increasing the load carrying cabability.

I do think that the p51 would have a hard time getting the edge into it's sights. That edge would be quite evasive.

Could you not try this with Microsoft MSX? Doesn't it have multi plane networking capibility? I know there is an Extra 300 on it, and you can download a p51.
Mar 07, 2007, 05:14 PM
Well, I would go with the P51-D since it was made for dog fighting with the bubble canopy, the Edge looks like you couldn't see if anyone's behind you.

Maybe it should be the 540 against the 300?

Challenger413
Mar 07, 2007, 05:15 PM
Leave me alone!
This lesson goes back to WWI. Outright maneuverability doesn't hurt but it doesn't mean a whole lot next to speed. The P-51 would dominate.

Martin
Mar 07, 2007, 05:16 PM
P-51 because it can fly much faster which makes it a hard target for a slow plane and slow planes are easierto hit despite being maneuverable. That's what I think.

Guns and ammo are very heavy also.
Mar 07, 2007, 08:08 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
My money's on the Edge. The key to winning a furball is to keep your opponent in front of you and I can't see how the P51 could do that.

Pete
Mar 07, 2007, 09:53 PM
Wait...Say again?
I'm reminded of the classic (though possibly apocryphal) story of the WWII era instructor and the hot shot student. The student boasted he could shoot down anything while flying a Mustang. The instructor bet the student that he could evade him while flying a lowly J-3 Cub (really an L-4). The instructor would buy a fancy dinner if the student could get the L-4 with his gun camera.
The Cub was way too maneuverable for the much faster P-51. In fact, after the Mustang roared by on about the third high speed pass, the instructor landed and pulled the Cub under a tree while the P-51 used up a couple of counties turning around. The instructor got to stand under the tree laughing while the student gyrated around the sky looking for him.
I don't know if the Edge could get the P-51 in its sights, but I'd bet the P-51 couldn't shoot down the Edge.

Joe
Mar 07, 2007, 11:19 PM
Texas Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by N74463
I'm reminded of the classic (though possibly apocryphal) story of the WWII era instructor and the hot shot student. The student boasted he could shoot down anything while flying a Mustang. The instructor bet the student that he could evade him while flying a lowly J-3 Cub (really an L-4). The instructor would buy a fancy dinner if the student could get the L-4 with his gun camera.
The Cub was way too maneuverable for the much faster P-51. In fact, after the Mustang roared by on about the third high speed pass, the instructor landed and pulled the Cub under a tree while the P-51 used up a couple of counties turning around. The instructor got to stand under the tree laughing while the student gyrated around the sky looking for him.
I don't know if the Edge could get the P-51 in its sights, but I'd bet the P-51 couldn't shoot down the Edge.

Joe

That story seems a bit ummmm.. unlikely

Everything I have read about fighter combat (without missiles, of course) pretty much says that energy (read: speed) is life. High and fast is best, high and slow or low and fast is OK, low and slow and you're dead. The more maneuverable machine will win in a turning fight, sure - but if you're in the faster machine you don't let yourself get into a turning fight, do you. You stay high, come ripping in at 500+ km/h and take your shot then run away. Repeat until enemy is dead.
Mar 07, 2007, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N74463
I agree. No way the Edge would ever get a shot in at the much faster and mor powerful P-51. But I'm not sure the 51 could keep the Edge in its sights for long enough to get a shot in either.
My money is on the P-51 as having the best chance.
Mar 07, 2007, 11:50 PM
Electric Jet Driver
Neil's got the idea. I say the mustang. A P-51 pilot with even half a brain would use the hit and run tactic. The P-47 was not highly agile, but it was one of the fastest air craft of WWll straight and level. And it was even better in a dive. Put up a hail of lead with it's 8 machine guns and run for cover. Rinse and repeat! F-104 pilots were taught the same thing by the way. High mach and clean fangs!
Mar 08, 2007, 12:05 AM
hahahhahahahaha! First, the Mustang would leave the Edge. Then the Edge would be swerving all around until the Mustang swooped by like a big ole silver Hawk and shredded the crap out of it with its six fifties. Then the Mustang would roar off into the sky, and what was left of the Edge would be plummeting to earth in flames.

Quick Reply