Mar 06, 2007, 10:21 AM
Fly By Night
Thread OP
Build Log

A "Pimp My Ride" Shumate/6mmFlyRC F-14

I have really taken to the Steve Shumate/6mmFlyRC manufactured F-14 parkjet. Low cost fun is what it is. You can make it scale or semi-scale. If you crash, usually its just the nose section that gets wrecked. One afternoon in the shop usuallly fixes it and the next day or that evening your back in the air.

Before I move on to the JK Aerotech FW-190, I decided that I should devote some extra time to Steve's F-14. So this will be the "Pimp My Ride" version of the Shumate/FlyRC F-14 kit. As Steve has demonstated before, his CAD drawings compared to the actual lines of the F-14 are more scale than semi-scale. I will enhance the already GREAT fuselage profile of the kit, smooth the surface of the foam but still maintain a sensable weight, upgrade the powerplant, all leading up to a successful maiden flight.

After a successful maiden I will add details, in stages, to all areas of the jet to provide a scale version of the kit from about a couple feet away(minus of coarse the rear propeller area). I will not install a EDF. I am not a fan of them. I don't like flying them in my park. Scale sweeping wing speeds, Cockpit mods, ordinances, bumps and bulges, antennas, details, details, details... right down to the rivets will be added. Light weight is still the key however. I want to make this a hand launchable jet. I have many references to draw from for this bird(USS Carl Vinson family cruise, 800-900 photos of the Shrikes' F18's and Cats close-up.)

I will have time to pimp this ride just in time for the flying season to start here in Chicago.

I will heavily document all mods with short videos and pictures. Of course, If you have a mod you would definitely like to see, sans EDF, let me know. Maybe I can add it to this bird. For example, one of the mods might be a fuel receptor in the nose that you can open and close on cue while airborn.

I'll start posting on 3/7/07 so watch along...I'm gonna have fun.
Discreetfire.

P.S. If you're new to this thread you can quickly check my progress on Page 2. All videos as they are shot in order, are contained within a post on Page 2 for easy access. Thanks and please subscribe so you don't miss anything!
Last edited by discreetfire; Apr 16, 2007 at 11:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2007, 11:15 AM
Hello again.
Hmm....To bling or not to bling?
Mar 06, 2007, 11:56 AM
After 2 years (Over 54 Thousand Unique User Pages views on Parkjets so far) Steve's F-14 is by far the most popular ParkJet Bling Away I say!!! (but you'll still loose Scale points with that big honking prop out back ) I like EDF's fewer cut fingers hand launching

Tom
www.parkjets.com/f14-tomcat.html
Mar 06, 2007, 12:33 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Bling away! I look forward to this. I love details, but lack patience to do them myself.
Mar 06, 2007, 12:34 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Just had a thought that shouldn't add much weight; how about some lights? I saw a very cool F6F with blinking lights and even working landing lights. As you won't have gear, the landing lights won't fit. But wingtip lights and any other ones would be cool!
Mar 06, 2007, 01:29 PM
Fly By Night
Thread OP

Mods to 100% original 6mmRCFly kit

Late model F-14A

I will use this post to keep track of mods that are in the running. The list will grow and shrink to include all mods in the final version for future reference. All Mods will be documented with pics, videos, or both. Mods will show page numbers relative to the 6mmRCFly instruction manual.

- Cockpit detailing: raised control panels, canvas covers, pilots, seatbeats, very detailed controls and ejection seats.
- Scale wing sweeping speed using servo "extra slow" speed reducer.
- Working glove vanes in main wing shoulder area. When main wings sweep back to last 20%, the glove vane winglets slide out.
- Panel lines and rivets
- More scale nacelles with diverged inlets and sills
- AIM-54 Phoenix fairings (smaller than scale height) in tunnel area.
- Upgraded twin counter-rotating LSPJ motor setup with twin esc's.
- Left forward fuselage cannon port and vents
- ECM antennas in the wing pits and late model F-14A "Beaver Tail" area
- All antennas topside
- Bumps and buldges wherever they are
- (11) high intensity LED Lights: (3) green, (3) red for main wings, (2) strobing anti-collision red, (1) Navigation amber beacon for the vertical tail, (1) red Nav light on the Chin Pod
- Rudders
- Weathering
- Jason(Gotrek) decals and all major placecards.
- Grills, Vents and diverters
- Polyacrylic/baby powder coating(with some parts FG with WBPA)
- Ordinances and tanks on mounts (not droppable) just magnetic breakaways for landing. Featuring the large AIM-54 Phoenix missles in the tunnel area.
- Fuel dump port on "Beaver Tail" section.
- Chin pod under nose (breakaway)

This list will always be current.
Last edited by discreetfire; Dec 31, 2007 at 06:41 AM.
Mar 06, 2007, 01:35 PM
ClayF14
What about working flaperons and/or micro retracts?

Clay
Mar 06, 2007, 02:40 PM
ARF Hater Club
I can't way to see this take shape. Where is the association with FlyRC and Steve? All I've seen is his plans published in that magazine....
Great idea running the wires through the carbon!
Mar 06, 2007, 02:49 PM
Fly By Night
Thread OP
forgot the 6mm infront of FlyRC

It's the laser cut 6mm Depron kit from 6mmFlyRC.

D
Mar 06, 2007, 03:14 PM
Park Jet Guru
WOO HOO!! I'll be eagerly watching this thread. I was blown away with how realistic J Morgan built my F-18 and F-15 park jets, and it's about time someone did justice to the F-14 as well. Bling it on!

Steve
Mar 06, 2007, 06:09 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Deal me in too!

J
Latest blog entry: Ziroli A-1H at 100"ws
Mar 06, 2007, 06:51 PM
Check my blog-updated
I am working on a 14 inch WS F-15 right now and my next project will be the F-14, so I am very interested in what you will do here.
Mar 06, 2007, 10:57 PM
It's a trap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetfire
- Scale decals TBD
I'm interested to know what you mean. Are you referring to all the various maintenance placards/warnings etc?
Mar 06, 2007, 11:29 PM
Fly By Night
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotrekGurnisson
I'm interested to know what you mean. Are you referring to all the various maintenance placards/warnings etc?
Yes. Major placecards only. Not sure of which fighter wing I'll be modeling. Puking Dogs is my fav. Maybe early high visability scheme.

Here are the canopy/cockpit links everyone has probably seen already. I'll consolidate them here for good house keeping. It's one of the mods on the list.

Canopy Videos:
Video #1
Shaping F14 canopy cill (0 min 36 sec)

Video #2
F14 canopy part 2 (1 min 43 sec)

Video #3
F14 canopy part 3 (1 min 23 sec)

Video #4
F14 canopy construction part 4 (2 min 30 sec)

Video #5 cockpit box
F14 canopy creation part 5 (2 min 21 sec)

Video #6 cockpit control surface build example
F14-Pilot Instrument panel (0 min 51 sec)

YouTube videos after these will count up so they will stay in alphanumeric order and can be refered to later as Video 5 etc. I will use the 6mmFlyRC building guide as I go and refer to page numbers when a scale mod is warranted.

Discreet
Last edited by discreetfire; Mar 08, 2007 at 02:33 PM.
Mar 07, 2007, 02:32 AM
It's a trap!
I knew what the TBD meant. I was wondering more what you meant by the particular mention of "scale". I was wondering if you were looking for some extra level of detail, like those I mentioned.

Quick Reply