From idea, to paper, to peices - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 06, 2002, 08:10 PM
Horrible Test Pilot

From idea, to paper, to peices

Hey all
I don't know if this belongs in this forum, but this is where I got my inspiration, so here goes.
It started as an idea.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2002, 08:12 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
The first step was constructing the 11 bulkheads.
Oct 06, 2002, 08:12 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
I used balsa stringers to connect all of the bulkheads and construct the fuse.
I built it in 2 peices.
Oct 06, 2002, 08:13 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
Here's the fuse halfs connected.
Oct 06, 2002, 08:15 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
I did build 1 special bulk for the wing to sit on.
Here's a pic of the wing saddle.
Oct 06, 2002, 08:16 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
Then, I started on the wing.
Here's half of the wing being constructed.
Oct 06, 2002, 08:17 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
Here's the wing completed, and a comparison with my Duskstik wing (orange tips) and my T-52 wing
Oct 06, 2002, 08:18 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
Here's where I am so far.
I put my SB in for size comparison.
Oct 06, 2002, 08:26 PM
Leave me alone!
Monstrously big compared to the switchback! What will you fly her with?

Martin
Oct 06, 2002, 08:33 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
Believe it or not, I originally thought I'd throw on a couple EPS 300's, but I think I'm going to have to go with a couple geared 400's or larger. Idealy I'd like to go with dual brushless motors, but that's kind of expensive.

Jason
Oct 06, 2002, 10:02 PM
Looks very interesting! I wish I had the imagination to design my own models. I suppose that will "come with age." So many scratch projects are starting to get me all worked up. As soon as I get Christmas presents for my family taken care of, the woods comin' out and the MicroSport's going together!

Nick R.

EDIT: Ah, yes, I forgot to ask. Do any of ya'll use a CAD program to draw these up on your computer, or do you free hand the design? I'd like to invest in a CAD program and learn how to use it. Sure would help. Thanks!
Oct 06, 2002, 10:51 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
Quote:
[i]EDIT: Ah, yes, I forgot to ask. Do any of ya'll use a CAD program to draw these up on your computer, or do you free hand the design? I'd like to invest in a CAD program and learn how to use it. Sure would help. Thanks! [/B]
I'd also like to learn how to use a CAD program.
I designed mine with a 36" strait edge, cheap drafting set from Walmart (protractor, compas, a few squares), and a bunch of 11X17 peices of paper taped together.
If I can get it to fly, I'm planning on scanning my hand drawn plans onto the computer and letting someone who knows CAD clean it up a bit, then printing out a few sets.

Jason
Oct 07, 2002, 12:26 AM
You should sheer web your wing, with two motors and a big battery that wing looks like it wants to go for a foldey......
Oct 07, 2002, 12:36 AM

Newb question

What's sheer webbing? I assume it's used as supporting structure in the wing. Thanks!

Nick R.
Oct 07, 2002, 10:08 AM
Horrible Test Pilot
KnifeEdge- you're right, the sheer webbing is glued to both spars in between the ribs to help beef up the structure.

Buddly- I am working on getting the webbing in, just haven't gotten to it yet. Folding is one of my main concerns with this wing, and I am planning on installing some struts that go from the wing down to the bottom of the fuse.

Jason