Oct 06, 2002, 08:55 AM
Thread OP

The Return of The E3D Returns XXII (Again)

Okay, sorry for posting another 'look at my E3D' thread. But this one is different. 'Cos it's about MY plane..

My E3D took off today after a slooooow build, almost a year now. Now I was very apprehensive, having flown only cheap foam planes like the zagi or the TS; although I've only ditched a plane once, this one is different as my dad and I have over 100 hours invested in it.

But I needn't have worried, Gary has one hell of a plane here. I know you hear this a lot, hey, even zagis get raved about by some people, but this plane is AWESOME. I have the Hacker setup....and it's rare you see -anything- fly this good, even on glow fuel. The only way it could be improved is runtime, but in a couple of years... we'll have that too.

Thanks have to go to Paul, who bravely took off for me (hey, I've never had wheels before!), but only after noticing the rudder was reversed. Ooops! Paul has a converted Weston Cougar, and that is just as fun to watch. The vertical isn't as good as the E3D (trust me, it's GREAT, but beside a Hacker E3D..) but it's on only 8/9 cells. VERY cool. And the slow flight is possibly better than the E3D (maybe it's the pilot ).

Only bad side to the day was the way the aileron hinges (transparent Profilm/UltraCote) fluttered and snapped partially...but I have some 'tesa' greenhouse tape to replace that...won't take long.

So all in all, a great day, and I just want to say thanks to Gary Wright, Paul, and everyone on the Ezone whose help made it possible.

-Ben

Photos courtesy Canon Powershot G2.....

Before the flight....note building board is old cupboard door....and no prizes for guessing where the colour scheme came from! Sorry, Gary...
Last edited by Ben C; Oct 06, 2002 at 09:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2002, 08:56 AM
Thread OP
Another shot before the flight - just in case, ya know?
Oct 06, 2002, 08:56 AM
Thread OP
Ready to go!
Oct 06, 2002, 08:57 AM
Thread OP
Fluttered hinges 1/2....
Oct 06, 2002, 08:58 AM
Thread OP
Fluttered hinges 2/2...
Oct 06, 2002, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
Last one, I promise!

Even with a warped fuselage, it flew fine!
See threads about this:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=34210
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=48593
Oct 06, 2002, 10:41 AM

nice one

very nice ben C a good day had by all well worth the effort

p,s, your right more power?
Oct 06, 2002, 08:53 PM
Congratulations Ben, looking good. My E3D was also built less than straight , but it also flies great. I'm just about to build number 2, which will be Hacker powered and straight.

Enjoy!

Pete
Oct 07, 2002, 03:41 AM
Well done Ben !!! - you think you are a slow builder ! - at least you got the Mk2 Fuz with thicker diagonals behind wings.

Thanks for the comparison with Cougar - I had been twitching over visa card on that one but will now get my e3d finished (same setup are yours).

Maybe sacrilige (sp) but I'd love an artf e3d !!!
Oct 07, 2002, 06:12 AM
Hey Ben, you sure that's your model? Looks identical to mine!!
Oct 07, 2002, 08:27 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester

Re: The Return of The E3D Returns XXII (Again)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben C

[B]Okay, sorry for posting another 'look at my E3D' thread. But this one is different. 'Cos it's about MY plane..
B]
Nothing wrong with posting another E3D thread. Show it off, especially after spending some much time on it.

I just finished mine and flew it for the first time on Saturday so I know how you feel.
Congradulations on your first flight.

Kelvin
Oct 07, 2002, 03:25 PM
Blew out my flip flop
Ben,

Looks very nice. I love that workroom, BTW

Later,
David
Oct 08, 2002, 12:04 PM
Thread OP
Thanks David! I believe it used to be called a 'dining room', but it's so long ago now that I can't remember! Mum kinda gave up on keeping us out!

-Ben

Quick Reply