Mar 03, 2007, 01:17 PM
Trying to defy gravity...
Thread OP
Discussion

Terry CF Stick - Mini Hotliner, Budget Bash!

At a recent Silent Flyers of Long Island meeting I nabbed a very nice heavily glassed Graupner Terry wing that Tom Hunt was giving away. It’s stiff as a board! The club use to fly Terry’s in contests, but we’ve move onto EasyStars, they are more durable. Nice wing, what to do with it?

I wanted to make a plane with it and keep it cheap, so I decided to make a Terry CF Stick. I used a carbon arrow shaft for the “fuse”, the threaded insert for the tip helped with the motor mount. I just sanded a groove in the bottom of the wing and epoxied the arrow shaft in place. Cut up some Bluecor and made tail feathers. Cut ailerons in the Terry wing using two HS55’s. Mounted a remote GWS Pico servo back on the tail for the elevator. Receiver is a LightFlight S4 with a Litenna.

For power I’ve used a free sample 4 turn 28mm inrunner that I got from Dave at LightFlight…thanks Dave! Tests indicated these motors look to be as good as the real deal (Mega). Spinning an APC 6055 off a 3S 2100 Prolite via a CC25 I get about 210 watts. At 20 ounces ready to fly that like 175 watts per pound!

Motor and battery mounts were custom made, the battery mount will protect the lipo on landings. Not bad for basically a free build, it really only cost me the servos, receiver and ESC; but those I already had those. Can’t wait to give this budget hot liner a try.

Jimsky
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2007, 01:35 PM
Head NEAT geek
Very kewl Jim!

Glad someone was able to make use of it!

hope to see it fly soon!

Tom
Mar 03, 2007, 03:08 PM
Cool.. Looks fast and overpowered!

Kim
Mar 03, 2007, 06:18 PM
U.City Flyer
Jim,

What motor is that? I don't see it listing on the lightflightrc website?
Mar 03, 2007, 06:32 PM
Thread OP
The motor is not available yet, I received an advanced sample for testing. Here's the link to the advanced testing thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630759

Looks very promising, I think they are going to be hot sellers.

Jimsky
Mar 28, 2007, 12:20 PM
Thread OP
Took Monday off from work and did the maiden flight out at my clubs field in Calverton, NY.

Launch was a non-event, up she climed...actually a bit too well, I clicked off most or all of the "UP" trim I had dialed in. No right/left trim was required. Elevator response was fine, she would bank and turn fine.

After a few circuits I opened her up, she's got some go to her. I'd estimate the level top speed in the low to mid 60's. Loops like the devil and she glides quite nice. Full power carving turn are fun. Rolls were a bit sluggish, needs more aileron throws.

Landed and bumped up the elevator throws, back up again. Rolls are much nicer, what a fun plane. She will climb vertical, but she is a bit too draggy to really accelerate on dives like a real hotliner. Landing was easy, I was afraid of busting the prop...but no problem.

All in all a very fun budget bash.

Jimsky
Last edited by jimsky; Mar 30, 2007 at 11:57 AM.
Mar 28, 2007, 12:56 PM
Nice bird.

I'm looking for something similar, but slower.
Mar 30, 2007, 11:59 AM
Thread OP
This would do, just use an APC 6040 prop instead of the APC 6055.

Jimsky
Mar 30, 2007, 12:08 PM
I'm building something very similar. How do you balance out a glider/hotliner?

Do you generally look for a nose neutral glide, or nose slightly down glide?

Just not sure how to balance a glider.
Mar 30, 2007, 12:23 PM
Thread OP
I just balanced it using the recommended CG for the Terry (where the wings came from). First shot worked, no CG adjustment needed. She glides quite flat and is stable in powered flight.

Jimsky
Jan 22, 2008, 02:06 PM
awesome plane... can't wait to build one... how did u make the battery holder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsky
At a recent Silent Flyers of Long Island meeting I nabbed a very nice heavily glassed Graupner Terry wing that Tom Hunt was giving away. It’s stiff as a board! The club use to fly Terry’s in contests, but we’ve move onto EasyStars, they are more durable. Nice wing, what to do with it?

I wanted to make a plane with it and keep it cheap, so I decided to make a Terry CF Stick. I used a carbon arrow shaft for the “fuse”, the threaded insert for the tip helped with the motor mount. I just sanded a groove in the bottom of the wing and epoxied the arrow shaft in place. Cut up some Bluecor and made tail feathers. Cut ailerons in the Terry wing using two HS55’s. Mounted a remote GWS Pico servo back on the tail for the elevator. Receiver is a LightFlight S4 with a Litenna.

For power I’ve used a free sample 4 turn 28mm inrunner that I got from Dave at LightFlight…thanks Dave! Tests indicated these motors look to be as good as the real deal (Mega). Spinning an APC 6055 off a 3S 2100 Prolite via a CC25 I get about 210 watts. At 20 ounces ready to fly that like 175 watts per pound!

Motor and battery mounts were custom made, the battery mount will protect the lipo on landings. Not bad for basically a free build, it really only cost me the servos, receiver and ESC; but those I already had those. Can’t wait to give this budget hot liner a try.

Jimsky
Last edited by LittleG; Jan 22, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Jan 22, 2008, 03:05 PM
Thread OP
The battery holder is made from a 1.75" wide lenght of aluminum stock. I bent it in a U shape to protect the battery on landings. Velco hold the battery in place, both top and bottom of the battery.

I used a bit of exopy to glue the battery box to the CF arrow shaft and drilled a few holes and used a couple of tie wraps for good measure. It's been rock solid.

Jimsky

Quick Reply