Mar 02, 2007, 01:28 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Discussion

Red Baron fattie... (first one is blue color... another is red...)

Otay builders, here is my entry into the contest, a cartoonish fattie of the Fokker DR-1 "Red Baron", one of my favorite planes.
Foam is BP Hobbies White Construction Foam (EPS sheet).
There are no plans, as this is a "one off" build. Any comments welcome. (Smaller red version on page 2)
Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; Mar 15, 2007 at 12:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2007, 01:35 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
I ordered the motor today, a Feigao gear drive, spinning an 11-4.7 prop. Control will be R/E/T, but ailerons (albiet full-length) may be added later if I feel the desire. Being that this is one of the largest planes I've ever made I don't know what the AUW will be.
Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; Mar 02, 2007 at 07:57 PM.
Mar 02, 2007, 01:44 AM
Look outside the Square
That's lookin great Rusty Gun. Keep the picky's and the info come'n. The DR1 is one of my favorites also. Can you give us a hint on the wingspan? Shame about the plans situation but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Good Luck!!

Regards Boxhead
Mar 02, 2007, 04:51 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Top wing is currently 34.5" long, mid is 31.5", lower is 29.5". I may shorten this up a bit later to better match the fuse length.
Fuselage is 20" without the tail (24" with tail). Width at seat area is 4-5/8", 5.5" high at the seat area, 5.75" across the cowling tail is 7" tall, rear wing is 13.75' long.
Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; Mar 02, 2007 at 08:10 PM.
Mar 02, 2007, 06:40 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
WOW! Great job.

….buzz…wheeer !CLICK! hel111loooow Radio check, radio check….
“”Hut OH! lQQks like that Red Baron got Snoopystoon on the run””
Seems to me Shultz ran a Baron/Snoopy series something about a gun wonder if it was rusty? We’re in serious trouble Snoop.

Pilot figure? With scarf?

I love it, thanks for sharing.
Mar 02, 2007, 06:54 AM
Looks cool,something to be really wanted,are you gonna make plans,or atleast some dimensions or maybe tell how you changed a 3 view of it?
Mar 02, 2007, 07:04 AM
Planes are cool ;)
looks really cool! You doing that from plans or by eye?
Mar 02, 2007, 07:17 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Gramps:>)... thanks for the kind words. I like your Spittoon, since I seem to favor cartoon fattie planes quite a bit.
Foamaster... I don't have "real" plans. Mine are drawn up on paper, converted to card stock templates for future builds.
I draw up a side view of a plane and keep redrawing it until I like it. Then I move onto the tail, rear wing, main wings, etc. making sure are in proper 'fattie' proportion. The more cartoonish the better. When it comes to cartoons, there are no mistakes. Anything that don't look right is part of the charm. Think cartoonish.
Mar 02, 2007, 07:19 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughbert
looks really cool! You doing that from plans or by eye?
From plans I drew up on paper, and what my hands can do build-wise.
Mar 02, 2007, 07:36 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Rusty, google IrfanView, a free download. Be sure to get his 'plugins' file too, free.
Open a jpg or gif into IrfanView then sacle till you cantstanditanymore:>)

PosterRazor >free< will tile and pdf IrfanView output...

Lucky you, wish I could sketch and draw ;>(
Last edited by Gramps:>); Mar 02, 2007 at 07:54 AM.
Mar 02, 2007, 09:43 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Thank you, Gramps.
FYI www.va-models.com has an interesting DR-1 (saw it mentioned in Quiet Flyer).
Mar 02, 2007, 10:53 AM
Rusty

Great looking plane. Is that foam coated with white thin plastic like a slowstick tail?

Was thinking about ordering some.

Thanks.
Mar 02, 2007, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=Gramps:>)]Rusty, google IrfanView, a free download. Be sure to get his 'plugins' file too, free.
Open a jpg or gif into IrfanView then sacle till you cantstanditanymore:>)

PosterRazor >free< will tile and pdf IrfanView output...

Thanks Gramps! That program looks fabulous.
Mar 02, 2007, 01:57 PM
Where can one get a 3-view of the Fokker DR 1?

Jer
Mar 02, 2007, 04:35 PM
TJC
TJC
Crossweave king
Love it!
My own Bleriot seems to get shorter and fatter every time I re-draw it. Maybe I should stop drawing and start cutting foam before it disapears up its own prop shaft.
Being new to this, is there anything I should be aware of when building cartoon style planes as opposed to more conventional ones?

Quick Reply