Mar 01, 2007, 07:42 PM
Discussion

Sealing hinge gaps?

I have been in this hobby for awhile now, and have never sealed a hinge gap and I was wondering what the preferred method and material were.

I have a 40" monokoted built up wing with strip ailerons hinged at 4 points each using Great planes hinge points.

Any input is appreciate
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2007, 09:24 AM
Michael...One way is to cut a 1" strip of the original covering a little less than the length of the gap.
Disconnect the servo linkage and flex the aileron 'up' as far as you can.Work from the bottom side of your wing.
Using a trim iron on low heat, 'spot tack' the strip to trailing edge, down the front of the gap..then up the aileron side of the gap.
Start with either the wing or the aileron.
Low heat will usually be enough to permanently attach the strip.
This has worked for me every time.
There is a way to use the covering as the hinge, but I haven't had much luck using it. It is found in the covering instructions of some covering.
A third way..which works only on a centered hinge line..is to carefully make a thin gap filler... smear some silicone sealer down the gap while holding the aileron in neutral. It needs to cure before moving the aileron. This can be on one or both sides of the gap. Low tack masking tape can make a clean job of it.
A fourth way to seal a gap is to use clear packing tape. Apply a thin coat of vaselene or oil to the bottom of the aileron.Attach the packing tape to the wing so that it over laps the aileron by about a half inch. The oil prevents the tape fron sticking to the aileron.
You can usually eliminate the need for a seal by holding the hinge line to a 1/32" gap.
HTH.
Mar 02, 2007, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Schmitz
Michael...One way is to cut a 1" strip of the original covering a little less than the length of the gap.
Disconnect the servo linkage and flex the aileron 'up' as far as you can.Work from the bottom side of your wing.
Using a trim iron on low heat, 'spot tack' the strip to trailing edge, down the front of the gap..then up the aileron side of the gap.
Start with either the wing or the aileron.
Low heat will usually be enough to permanently attach the strip.
This has worked for me every time.
There is a way to use the covering as the hinge, but I haven't had much luck using it. It is found in the covering instructions of some covering.
A third way..which works only on a centered hinge line..is to carefully make a thin gap filler... smear some silicone sealer down the gap while holding the aileron in neutral. It needs to cure before moving the aileron. This can be on one or both sides of the gap. Low tack masking tape can make a clean job of it.
A fourth way to seal a gap is to use clear packing tape. Apply a thin coat of vaselene or oil to the bottom of the aileron.Attach the packing tape to the wing so that it over laps the aileron by about a half inch. The oil prevents the tape fron sticking to the aileron.
You can usually eliminate the need for a seal by holding the hinge line to a 1/32" gap.
HTH.
thx
Mar 03, 2007, 08:23 PM
Professional Crasher
Model Aviation did a few articles about that kind of stuff. They say tape works well, as well as S-hinges made from covering material. Offset the direction of the S's to get the best seal (according to them!). Tape and a credit-card would probably be the easiest way to do it.
Mar 04, 2007, 01:14 AM
I've attached a PDF describing how I do it. I believe it's already been explained above, but I find that an illustration really helps.
Mar 04, 2007, 08:01 AM
thanks to all, I'm going to try the monokote method today, I think I can trim it so that I don't have to overlap the edge and lay it on the surface of the wing.

Quick Reply