GWS 262 EDF Twin Kit Review - by Mike Llewellyn and Doug Cohen - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

GWS 262 EDF Twin Kit Review - by Mike Llewellyn and Doug Cohen

Mike Llewellyn and Doug Cohen team up again to review the new large and impressive GWS-262 Twin EDF kit!

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:41”
Wing Area:264 sq”
AUW weight:Advertised – 28oz Actual - 33.5oz
Length:33”
Wing loading:18 oz/sq. ft.
Servos:4 – GWS Naro’s
Transmitter:Spektrum DX6
Receiver:Spektrum AR6000
Battery:DualSky 2200mA 3s LiPoly
Motors:GWS 20x28mm 3900kV Brushless
Fans:GWS EDF64
ESC's:GWS 35 Amp
Manufacturer:GWS

GWS has released an all new EDF model - the GWS-262. This plane is impressive and is one of the larger GWS models to date. It obviously bears a striking resemblance to the significant German WWII fighter that thankfully only saw action late in the war.

This plane is of the same high quality found in other GWS models. GWS clearly spends research time and money to make their planes fly well and look great!

Kit Contents

Kit includes:

• Foam fuselage, tail feathers, wing and nacelles
  • Lightweight plastic canopy
  • Generous hardware package (Fiberglass rods, wire pushrods and horns)
  • GWS light foam wheels
  • World famous GWS glue!
  • Decals and markings
  • Wood and light plastic nose for battery access
  • Picture assembly guide and text instructions
  • GWS brushless 20x28 3900kV motors
  • GWS EDF64 fans

Kit requires:

• 3s LiPoly battery
  • 4 servos 7-10g type
  • Receiver
  • 4 channel minimum transmitter
  • aluminum tape

Included for this review:

• 2 - GWS 35 AMP Brushless ESCs
  • 4 - GWS Naro servos

Assembly

I suspect that most of us have built a GWS model or two... or ten. I normally do not diverge much from the manual’s assembly on review models, but there were a few (clearly noted below) changes in store for this beauty!

The builder needs to:

• Assemble the fuselage and tail feathers
  • Assemble the wing
  • Attach the nacelles to the wing
  • Install the EDF power system fans and motors
  • Install radio system
  • Paint
  • Apply decals

Motors and Fans

Motors were mounted in the fans and then placed in the nacelles.

Important note! The included screws are too long and will need to be user-modified or replaced. If you use the included screws, they may contact the motor windings and short out the motor. Shorter screws from stock were used on the review model.

Note that the fans are 100% inaccessible after assembly, so use thread lock compound on everything.

Wing

Like other models these days, the 262 uses one servo per aileron. Here, aluminum tape (not provided) was used to cover the servo area.

The stock fiberglass rods were very heavy, so I switched from stock setup to 3/4oz fiberglass cloth to cover the wing. Note that balsa was used to fill the hole where the outer rods should have gone. Fiberglass and epoxy added plenty of strength to the wing.

The nacelles were then fit to the wing.

The included landing gear wire was stout and strong.

Landing Gear Tip! We prefer a robust wood base for the wire so wood screws and straps can secure the gear.

Fuselage

The stock fuse comes in two halves. Simply use GWS glue or epoxy to join the halves. Use glue sparingly here - it can add significant weight.

Radio installation was completely standard. Each servo has molded pockets. The hardware package includes pushrod tubes, wires and horns that made setup easy.

The included steerable nose gear was simple to setup.

Tail surfaces

The installation of the tail surfaces was a slight diversion from stock. Fiberglass cloth and epoxy was used.

Tail feathers are hinged and added to the fuse.

Power system

Brushless systems have spoiled us! The GWS fans and motors make a perfect power system.

Motors

GWS Brushless 20mm motors are 3900kV inrunner motors. They provided excellent power for the model in the stock GWS fans.

GWS included two 35 AMP speed controllers for the model. With roughly 11 amps draw per side, they offered more than adequate overhead. Smaller controllers would weigh less and still provide the necessary amp draw. One of the BECs was disabled for use in this model, so all the airborne equipment receives power from one of the BEC circuits. This is a recommended procedure on most ESCs.

Amp draws

With the included 35 amp speed controllers, GWS fans and 3s packs, the motors produced the following results:

Motor statistics (both motors)
Amps Watts Voltage
22 237 10.8

This gave the GWS-262 113w/lb of power. This recommended setup provided the plane with great motivation. Normal flight was done at about 70-80% power settings and even at that reduced throttle setting, this GWS-262 really moved along quickly.

Battery

A single 3s 2200 mAh DualSky pack provided power. DualSky packs have served us well and are priced right.

Finish

Fiberglass and epoxy finish resin was used only on the wing and tail surfaces. The raw foam in all others areas was simply airbrush painted. Tamiya acrylic paint was used. It does not attack the raw foam and adds very little weight when applied properly.

Pre-Flight

CG

With a lot of talk on the forums recently about CG, I decided to do test flights with a 65mm CG. GWS recommends a 75-85mm CG in the instructions. CG was measured from the LE at the wing at the root. 65mm proved to be perfect for first flights. It was a bit nose heavy it flew very well and was completely stable.

Rates and transmitter setup

The Spektrum DX6 transmitter was used for this plane. Rates were set as recommended in the GWS manual with ailerons at 30 degrees up and down. Elevator was set to the recommended 30 degrees. No rudder recommendation was given, so it was set for 25 degrees.

No high rates were mentioned, so I set those rates to give 30% additional throw. We did not setup any exponential control.

A note on EDF surface control rates for those who have not flown EDF models: without the propeller blowing air directly over the surfaces, you need plenty of control authority. Start with the recommended rates - even if they look too high.

Flying

The 262 could get up to speed quickly and it saved wear and tear on the landing gear since we chose a flying site with a hard runway surface. The plane does produce enough power to ROG (rise off grass) if it is cut very short and you use oversize tires.

Takeoff and Landing

The GWS 262 accelerated briskly on takeoffs. It lifted off on its own after using about 75 feet of paved runway. Climb was strong at full power settings. For scale speed flights were typically done at 60-70% power settings. This indicated plenty of power with a good reserve for emergency situations as well as for scale aerobatics.

Landing EDF models can prove to be a bit of a trick for those new to the process. You must keep some power on the fans and keep approach speed up. Use throttle to control descent (just like your full scale instructor taught you). Although the wing loading is light, with the forward CG it was necessary to carry speed on approach making for a slight flair at touchdown. As expected, speed is your friend with the 262.

Special flight characteristics

Stall was fairly abrupt with the left wing dropping rapidly. Make sure that you fly this model with adequate speed. Stall recovery was quick, losing about 25 feet of altitude. Loops from level flight were possible with the stock power system. It also rolls very well and the rolls were fairly axial. The most fun maneuvers were low and fast!

Thanks to Dawnron1 for these excellent flying shots:

Is this plane for a beginner?

The GWS-262 is not for a low hour pilot. While it is not particularly difficult to fly, the stall and speed of the model make it for more experienced pilots.

Flight Video

Downloads

Conclusion

The GWS-262 is a fantastic airplane. No real surprises came up during the assembly and systems installation. It assembled quickly and with minimal fuss.

Along with the stunning looks comes a well mannered flying machine. It was easy to fly fast keeping the GWS-262 in its happy zone. On the stock 3s setup it is plenty quick. Basic scale aerobatics are possible. It sounds great when those twin fans come screaming by in high speed runs! It clearly helps you to understand why the Allied forces were glad this amazing technology showed up late in the war.

Hits:

• Excellent looks
  • Short assembly time
  • Jet like flight performance
  • Very complete hardware package
  • Flies great with the GWS brushless package
  • Value priced
  • Battery nose hatch

Misses:

• Did not like the included main wheels (replaced with larger DuBro)
  • Heavy fiberglass reinforcement rods
  • Deep molded panel lines

The GWS-262 is a great addition to their warbird lineup. The twin EDF fans sound amazing. I would not hesitate to recommend this plane to all EDF warbird fans.

Last edited by Angela H; Jun 17, 2007 at 01:44 PM..
Jun 18, 2007, 06:39 PM
The sky is my playground.
That's a damn nice paint job! I would love to buy a painted pilot from you for my Alfa Dora... Wow does that look nice!
Jun 18, 2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks - I assure you it is all Doug.....

I am lucky to know him - he did all the paint on the plane as well. Quite talented.

A fun plane for sure......

Mike
Jun 18, 2007, 07:46 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Mike, anther very fine review! Very well done.
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Jun 18, 2007, 07:52 PM
The art of Crashing
Very nice! I have two of these waiting to be built, I'll be powering from a 4 cell though. Did you ever try these motors on 4 cell? It will really make this model scream. Very nice looking pilot also...your friend should do a tutorial on pilot detailing.
Jun 18, 2007, 08:16 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Excellent review Mike and Doug, and the video is really really nice, Mike! Looked like the skies over Europe to me! This one was a pleasure to shoot, even with the cloudly skies and threat of rain we had that day. How the heck does Doug always make those 'greasy' landings!

Ronnie
Last edited by dawnron1; Jun 19, 2007 at 06:25 PM.
Jun 18, 2007, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Did you ever try these motors on 4 cell?
Nope we did not - but I think if you search plenty have tried 4s in this plane. We wanted a nice scale plane and even though it could go faster - we find that flight at about 70% is all we want anyway.

Quote:
your friend should do a tutorial on pilot detailing.
I know - he really does need to do that. The pilots are VERY difficult, but he could give some great tips and ideas. I have asked him to in the past - I will try again!

Thanks guys!

Mike
Jun 18, 2007, 10:02 PM
AA6JB
Everytime I see Doug's painting skills, I am breathless. I just called my wife and made her have a look. And she was impressed as well, which if you knew her, that is saying ALOT!

Very nice job guys! Very Nice!

Wow, not only can you paint Doug, but you greased that landing!
Last edited by Bajora; Jun 18, 2007 at 11:25 PM.
Jun 18, 2007, 11:55 PM
VERY, VERY, NICE REVIEW! Sorry about the shouting, but nice team work guys! Mike
Jun 19, 2007, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer
VERY, VERY, NICE REVIEW! Sorry about the shouting, but nice team work guys! Mike
I can only agree, very nice review ! Thx alot.

Rudi
Jun 19, 2007, 06:52 AM
Dr. Dave
Way to go Mike and Doug. I agree with the paint job. There should be a paint shop service out there we can send planes to for that kind of detail. Doug you willing?
Jun 19, 2007, 07:14 AM
AA6JB
It would probably be SAFER for the plane to avoid shipping it anywhere and instead buy Doug a ticket to come paint on site!
Latest blog entry: 2017 Reno Air Races
Jun 20, 2007, 12:10 AM
Balsa is for doll houses
AWESOME Review!
The pictures were top notch.
Jun 20, 2007, 12:15 AM
Suspended Account
Is it a twin kit review because the plane is a twin, or because there's 2 of you guys reviewing it?

Nice paint work.

Bill
Jun 20, 2007, 12:17 AM
Suspended Account
double post
Last edited by scratchandbash; Jun 23, 2007 at 02:42 AM.