Tutorials / Info on creating skins for printed profile planes?
Being a huge fan of printed profile planes, I'd like to take some profile plans or 3-views and create skins for them similar to what TOG, EWO, and Mydigitalparadise have done.
The image layering, masking, and painting, isn't too hard to grasp. The problem is that I haven't figured out how to add highlights and shading to give a rounded look to the fuselages and wings.
I realize this may be more of a question related to the specific program used to edit the skins (the gimp in this case), but are there any tutorials/hints/links on creating skins for profile planes?
Well, I found the answer using information from this page:
Basically, you create an all-white image of the plane, blur it, then use that as a bump map to create shading. The exact steps that worked for me are:
1. Open plan image in the Gimp
2. Select the 'select contiguous regions' tool
3. click on the background of the picture
4. select 'Select->Invert
6. create a new layer with transparent background call it 'white blur' in the Layers Dialog
7. paste into this layer. you should have just the plane
8. turn off view of other layers and select the 'white blur' layer in the Layers Dialog
8. erase (use 'edit->clear') non plane things, like title, landing gear wire pattern, etc
9. make background color white
10 Edit->fill with bg color
11. now should have solid white pattern of plane with transparent background
12. Filters->Blur->Gaussian Blur. Try 30-50 blur height/width.
13. now should have white 'plan' with blurred edges
13. select print layer, right click on layer, and click 'Alpha to Selection' in Layers Dialog
14. Main window ->Filters->Map->Bump Map. Try various 'depths' using the preview, and may need to change the Azimuth to 90 to light shines from top of plan
15. delete or turn of the 'white blur' layer in the Layers Dialog
ImagesView all Images in thread
Last edited by kdahlhaus; Mar 03, 2007 at 03:05 PM.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Advice on digital camera for photographing model planes||Gordon||Electric Plane Talk||43||Nov 22, 2002 09:00 AM|
|Info on Focus Radio for Zagi???||captainjulio||Foamies (Kits)||9||Oct 15, 2001 08:51 PM|