Mar 01, 2007, 04:18 AM
I fly therefore I crash
Thread OP
Build Log

EPP Mig 29

Well, while I am waiting for X-Flight to restock and Steve S's SU-37 Plans I thought I would start building the next best thing. A Mig 29 out of EPP. A thank you goes to John Bright for his free plans at parkjets.com. I printed them this afternoon and taped them together with a couple of modification. Now, this is in no way a critique of John's fine design. It's just my own personal tastes coming through. First I widened the body by 2". There is something about a wide plane that just makes it seem much bigger. Then I cut the canopy fuselage down by 1/2" to make it lower and finally I shortened the canopy itself by a third. That's it for tonight. Good grief it's 1:20

Fletch

P.S. The last pic is the front running paint scheme but we will see
Last edited by fletchace; Mar 14, 2007 at 09:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2007, 12:29 PM
EPP Addict
Looking sweet already... I'm tempted to do this for my next build to go with my F-15. Have to make sure they are the same scale though... I thought about doing an el-cheapo with twin J250s. But those pics are making me re-think it.
Mar 01, 2007, 03:33 PM
I fly therefore I crash
Thread OP
Thanks LD! The dims on this one are 33" wingspan and 43" long which put it in the same ball park as the F-15. Since the F-15 was the beater I really want to refine this one and see if I can't take my EPP skills to the next level. I going to spend much more time on the finish and paint job to help the scale appearance (I hope). I don't know the weight of this thing yet so I'm not sure on the motor but I want it to go fast!

Fletch
Mar 01, 2007, 07:51 PM
Hello again.
Hmmm....... does EPP look that rough in person?
Mar 01, 2007, 08:46 PM
I fly therefore I crash
Thread OP
F-22,

Yes thats pretty much what it looks like. It's fairly smooth to the touch but it looks rough. The silver lining is it's flexability.

Fletch
Mar 02, 2007, 11:27 AM
EPP Addict
And the rough look can be improved with covering/tape(ugh!), or paint. I read recently you can use an iron on the sanded EPP to sort of melt it smooth... need to experiment a little.

Maybe not the greatest static model, but these EPP planes can take a beating - I would rather be flying than fixing. I read enough parkjet maiden horror stories to know I would be better off with a bouncer. And I was right (see my blog)!
Last edited by LuckyDay; Mar 02, 2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: fixed link
Mar 02, 2007, 08:39 PM
I fly therefore I crash
Thread OP
Some more pics of the side doubler. So far the hardest part! It does aid in the scale appearance. The high point of the canopy was still to high for my taste so I cut it down an inch and tapered it back.

Fletch
Last edited by fletchace; Mar 03, 2007 at 03:27 AM.
Mar 03, 2007, 01:12 AM
I fly therefore I crash
Thread OP
Seeing as I am a finish carpenter with a full shop in my garage I wish I had thought of this sooner. I used a belt sander on my EPP nose cone and it worked like magic. The finish product was as smooth as a babys bottom!
Here is the cone and the cone on the Mig.
Mar 03, 2007, 03:44 AM
I fly therefore I crash
Thread OP
Cone and canopy belt sanded and on the Mig. Good night now.
Mar 03, 2007, 01:14 PM
Hello again.
Wow!
Mar 03, 2007, 11:12 PM
I fly therefore I crash
Thread OP
Thanks F-22 hopefully more pics tomorrow.

Fletch
Mar 04, 2007, 01:27 PM
Hello again.
Hey Fletchy,
What's a belt sander? Sounds useful if your building with EPP.
Are you going to paint it or Ultracote it?(Ultra would hide that rough look.)
Mar 04, 2007, 04:43 PM
I fly therefore I crash
Thread OP
Hey F-22,
A belt sander is a sander that turns a sanding belt at rpm. Kinda like a mini treadmill. If you want to see one in person check out home depot. If you plan at all to get into EPP then this tool, or something, like it would be very useful for shaping. Also, Luckyday has mentioned That a Dremel works well.

I planed on painting it. I have never used Ultracote but I will look into it before I make up my mind.

Fletch
Last edited by fletchace; Mar 04, 2007 at 10:52 PM.
Mar 04, 2007, 11:11 PM
Hello again.
Look at LBMiller5's if you want to (be brainwashed into Ultracoting it.)
Mar 05, 2007, 03:25 AM
That thing's operational!
Very very cool! Nice going so far, can't wait to see the finished product! Man, I have a very soft spot in my heart for Migs, any of 'em! LOL. I especially like some of the newer variants though, kinda like from the -21 all the way up to the 1.44.
Great job so far though, and yeah I'd also be interested in what you're planning for the finish. Ya know, even though that stuff is probably kinda rough right now, would you think that a coat of lightweight spackle followed by sanding would do the trick to smooth things out a bit? There's a guy named Bonez here on the forums that lightweight spackled and sanded the surfaces of his GWS planes, and man they came out nice! Of course, you've probably got something in mind already, but I was just wonderin'.
Great idea with the belt sander. Man I spent so much time recently sanding stuff to shape with a loose sheet of sandpaper! I bet the belt sander makes things much quicker! I little scary though, so I think I'll leave it to you.
Can't wait to see the continued progress on your -29! Hey, want to see something really cool? It's the Mig-33 Super Fulcrum. It's equipped with flying canards, and man does it do something cool for the look of the already cool -29! Here, have a look:
http://www.xplanefreeware.net/barry/...shot%20802.jpg

Quick Reply