Feb 28, 2007, 02:22 PM
Molon labe
Thread OP
Discussion

Dell Server Power Supply

Does anyone have the pin out for a Dell Power Supply Model No. DPS-600FB A.
This would make a great bench supply for a number of 12 volt chargers. 36
amps on the 12 volt output. If it is like PC power supplies it needs a load
on the 5 volt side to operate. Where to apply the load?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2007, 03:35 PM
Don't know about that particular supply, but the Dells I've modified used the standard for +5, +12, and gnd. The Power On lead was grey instead of the standard green.

Bill

Whoops! Never mind - failed to note you are asking about a server supply. Different animal.
Last edited by ebill3; Feb 28, 2007 at 04:45 PM.
Feb 28, 2007, 03:39 PM
Use the Force!
Red,

If you could show the entire supply, with a close-up of the motherboard connectors, I believe that I can help you.

Lucien
Feb 28, 2007, 05:10 PM
Molon labe
Thread OP
Can't ask for more than that. Here they are:

Kind of reminds me of that add on TV where the Dr. is telling the guy over the phone who is home, "Insert the knife between the 3rd and 4th rib." and the guy plaintively says "Shouldn't you be doing this?"
Feb 28, 2007, 06:01 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Wow.. Nice rig.. Wonder where I could pick up one of those..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Feb 28, 2007, 06:41 PM
Tram, try a Google (or other) search for the Dell part number that shows up in the image in the first post: DPS-600FB

You'll get a fair number of hits, including several on eBay. It isn't cheap.
Feb 28, 2007, 07:49 PM
Molon labe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
Wow.. Nice rig.. Wonder where I could pick up one of those..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
If I can't get it working it's yours in trade for a 3S3300 LiPo.
Feb 28, 2007, 08:03 PM
I hate waiting for parts
A server psu is really no different than any other psu, except for the connectors (8-pin for the Xeon CPU, 6-pin for PCI-E cards, etc.). Many enthusiast power supplies made for SLI (dual video-card systems) routinely have well over 600W and plenty of amps.

However, the price on that Dell psu was probably right...
Mar 01, 2007, 05:14 AM
Fan of pusher multirotors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Scholefield
If it is like PC power supplies it needs a load
on the 5 volt side to operate. Where to apply the load?
Only very old AT supplies required that. Newer AT and all ATX are perfectly happy to work without any load at all if needed.
Mar 01, 2007, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Only very old AT supplies required that. Newer AT and all ATX are perfectly happy to work without any load at all if needed.
That certainly hasn't been most peoples' experience.

I don't use PC power supplies so I don't have that problem.
Last edited by Ohmic; Mar 01, 2007 at 06:42 AM.
Mar 01, 2007, 11:56 AM
Got lift?
i have done a simular project a few months ago. i am using a 450 watt powersupply at the moment. its a pc, not a server powersupply. its a simple project. find the 12v, 5v and the ground. go to radio shack and pick up a few banana plugs and jacks, and a pack of 10watt 10 ohm sandbar resisters. the resistors go across the ground and 12v to create a fake load to get the most power out of the supply. for example, for me, w/o the resisters i was under 12v and my charger wouldnt run. after the resistors, i was up at 12v and my charger ran. for me it was a 2.5 hour project.
Aug 25, 2007, 06:19 PM
I have a similar power supply, I've traced it back to a Dell PowerVault 220S, which is a small SCSI storage box. I've look at the Dell documents, put I've not been able to find more about the pinout
Aug 25, 2007, 06:29 PM
Use the 4S Luke
I have a server power supply that needs no load to operate.
It is not a Dell though.

Any luck Red?
Aug 25, 2007, 11:33 PM
The PC pwr supply I'm using is great however it took some time and effort to get it to work. The first PC PS attempt didn't require any mods to start the cooling fan and produce voltage however it wasn't sufficient to run a charger. (accidentally shorted it so didn't get an opportunity to see if a load would help) The second attempt was a pain....none of the posts revealing pin connections and wire colors matched mine. After manual measurements and some experimentation the proper setup was achieved to get the cooling fan to spin on pwr up. I did have to place a load bridging the +5V rail to ground to get sufficient voltage to the charger. My final setup was two 1 ohm 10 watt resistors in series mounted to the PS housing via heat sink compound and nylon wire wraps. (runs very cool and efficiently, providing more than adequate voltage and current to my charger) I did have to move the cooling fan to an external location to provide adequate room inside the housing for wiring to the binding posts / banana jacks.
Last edited by Likestofly; Aug 25, 2007 at 11:39 PM.
Aug 26, 2007, 03:13 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Hmmm, getting my PSU to work was extremely complicated. Googled pin layout, jammed wire(Ok, it was a small segment of solder) into appropriate pins then the extremely complicated procedure of jamming the eos5i power clips into the 12v+ and ground on one of the connectors.

Total time 3 hours...Because I got distracted and read message boards while looking for the pin layout.

Works flawlessly so far.

Quick Reply