Feb 28, 2007, 10:47 AM
Build Log

UPDATE with video. KAST 0.1 (100cm balsa/carbon DLG)

Hi my fellow modellers..

I just LOVE the Apogee Sport. BUT could not sit still waiting for a kit becomming available. So what do you do? Start building some on your own. My KAST 0.1 is not high performance ( if it performes well..... my luck can take most of the credit )

WS 100 cm
fuseLenght ??cm
auw 160 - 180 gr
airfoil: modified RG15 ( which is probably not the best for DLGing, but allaround fun...slope/thermal/deadair..).

Used 1,5mm carbonrod as trailing edge (saw some guy here using it) but regret now, because I think it will be to cover the wing now...

Some pics to critisize..

Kim
Last edited by kimhey; Mar 02, 2007 at 10:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2007, 11:37 AM
Very nice. I absolutely LOVE the shape of the pod!

Best,
Al.
Feb 28, 2007, 11:49 AM
Did you add any kind of composite reinforcement inside the pod? Do you plan to glass it?

I saw the carbon trailing edge in the upcoming Thermal Spec, and thought the same thing - a PITA to cover it... Only thing I can think of would be to try to use a single piece of covering film going from the bottom part of the D tube, around the trailing edge and over the wing, and finally wrapping back over the leading edge. Still, a lot of trial and error and a lot of wasted film trying to get a single piece to stretch properly around all those curves...

Best,
Al.
Feb 28, 2007, 12:07 PM
No reinforcement inside pod, but planning on glassing. A bit of problemsolving as I build here (as usual when protobuilding). Thanks for input on coveringtechniqe, will give some wholehearted tries tonight, may end up with rebuilding TE......

Podshape.... a bit tired of the sleek, low drag hi-end shapes. Tried to make it more personal. My two eldest sons had a laugh.

Kim
Feb 28, 2007, 01:36 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Kim,

I am sorry you could not wait; the Apogee Sport is almost ready for sale. I am glad you found any technique we used useful for your model.

Tortional stiffness is very important during launch, when using a carbon rod as a trailing edge it puts you at a serious disadvantage due to the lack of strength to the small diameter in the TE carbon rod (trendy but not effective).

Although the tips have to be strong, they can’t be too heavy; otherwise the model will be penalized with tip stalling at low speeds and turns.

The wing loading of these planes is very important, some believe that to make a plane heavier makes it ‘penetrate’ better, but it only makes come down faster. Keeping a light wing loading is very important. To make a sailplane penetrate better, make a very clean airfoil and a good setup…. Theeeen if ballast is needed it can be added in very small increments…

I would change the spar system, to something lighter, punch some lighting holes in the tips and reinforce it with carbon, and replace that trailing edge with a traditional one made out of balsa, and finally add more dihedral…

I understand making one of a kind if you could not wait for a kit to be released, but having it laser cut?

Jose
Feb 28, 2007, 01:43 PM
I can lasercut for free.... lucky me..

Thank you JEB for your time and words.

Kim
Feb 28, 2007, 01:54 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Quote:
I can lasercut for free.... lucky me..
Oh, good... I was starting to feel bad, I would blame Jack for any delays (just kidding).

At any rate, that is a very cute plane, nice job Kim

Jose
Feb 28, 2007, 04:32 PM
Kim,

Love that pod and the super-low-drag tail feather .

There is a lot of activities in non-composite DLGs on RCgroups recently. Glad to see a build-up DLG from Europe.

As for TE, other than CF rod and balsa, I also tried CF flat (~1x3mm, widely used in Free Flight giders, field proven) with success.

Nice plane and keep the pictures coming.

Geode
Mar 01, 2007, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=jeb]Kim

"The wing loading of these planes is very important, some believe that to make a plane heavier makes it ‘penetrate’ better, but it only makes come down faster. Keeping a light wing loading is very important. To make a sailplane penetrate better, make a very clean airfoil and a good setup…. Theeeen if ballast is needed it can be added in very small increments…"

I am no expert, commenting on this may just prove that. But I kept on thinking on this last night..
I sometimes try to understand issues by setting values to zero or indefinite.. so IF one can make a Zero-drag wing, it penetrates best, but If the plane weighs nothing, it will definately NOT penetrate the wind, right?
In this example, the plane glides better if heavyer.
Sometimes I "travel" from one small thermal to another, and imagine a bit more weight adds speed faster.

I have no intention of starting an arguingthread, but nice to know if I am wrong (so I can change my thinking, my wife tells me that from time to time).

Kim

EDIT: Ohh. this is what I achived yesterday.. Decided to try out the CarbonTE The covering sticked beautifully after spraying a light coating of M77
Last edited by kimhey; Mar 01, 2007 at 11:39 AM.
Mar 01, 2007, 11:45 AM
Charlie
Thats sweet, I especially like the teardrop pod.

These little HLGs are just so much fun to fly and low stress.
Mar 02, 2007, 10:20 AM
FINISHED!!

Commanded my wife to video my maiden flight today. It went very well. Slippery surface under my feet, so only light tosses. Still OK altitude I think. Temperature around 0 degrees Celsius, wind 5 knots.
AUW is 220 grams, with a 4,8/400mah NiMh.

Here are the videos.. (did not work, working on it)

Kim
Mar 02, 2007, 10:38 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Kim,

That was quick, and it came out real nice, I really like the covering job

Jose
Mar 02, 2007, 11:22 AM
70 is the new 50
"Sometimes I "travel" from one small thermal to another, and imagine a bit more weight adds speed faster."

Kim, that's the same reason that many full size contest/cross country sailplanes will load up with a few hundred or more pounds of water ballast prior to takeoff. Of course, if they need to they can dump it anytime they wish so they have that control over their weight configuration.

bob
Mar 02, 2007, 11:54 AM
Here are the videos.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...00#post7020706

Kim

Quick Reply