Feb 27, 2007, 02:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bird-brained Chinese scientists learn to fly pigeons

REUTERS
Tue Feb 27, 7:52 AM ET

Scientists in eastern China say they have succeeded in controlling the flight of pigeons with micro electrodes planted in their brains, state media reported on Tuesday.

Scientists at the Robot Engineering Technology Research Centre at Shandong University of Science and Technology said ther electrodes could command them to fly right or left or up or down, Xinhua news agency said.

"The implants stimulate different areas of the pigeon's brain according to signals sent by the scientists via computer, and force the bird to comply with their commands," Xinhua said.

"It's the first such successful experiment on a pigeon in the world," Xinhua quoted the centre's chief scientist, Su Xuecheng, as saying.

Su and his colleagues, who Xinhua said had had similar success with mice in 2005, were improving the devices used in the experiment and hoped that the technology could be put into practical use in future.

The report did not specify what practical uses the scientists saw for the remote-controlled pigeons.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2007, 02:09 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
I wonder if you can add a 4th channel for "aerial droppings"
Feb 27, 2007, 02:12 PM
You can bet that if there is any use for it, it will be military.

Tim
Feb 27, 2007, 03:41 PM
Just Plane Going To Heli
Most likely they'll add small surveillance cameras so they can keep an eye on all those pesky free-thinking dissidents.
Feb 27, 2007, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
All I know is, I want one.

Just think -- disposeable, endless supplies of air frames...
Feb 27, 2007, 05:33 PM
Where are those P.E.T.A. people when you really need them ????
Feb 27, 2007, 06:31 PM
Thread OP
Bring them on! I'll fly them as well!
Feb 27, 2007, 07:01 PM
Just Plane Going To Heli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Willie
Where are those P.E.T.A. people when you really need them ????
Need them? I can't see any need for them. I read up on them and they are (in my editorial opinion) one serious bunch of loonies!
Feb 27, 2007, 11:02 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Yeah, but holy cow you've got to admire their ad campaign

http://furisdead.com/feat-joannakrupa.asp
Feb 28, 2007, 12:11 AM
Thread OP
Nice. I signed up to win a free poster.

Quick Reply