Feb 24, 2007, 03:13 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Pocketbike conversion begins....

Well here we are the long process of coming up with a plan and doing the conversion has begun. pls note these pics are mine and I am aware of them being posted on another forum I'm the poster guess I just want as many people as possible to see how crazy I am doing this.
Anyway here is what I have so far...bike being semi stripped down.
Thanks to my daughter for holding the bike in the positions I needed to get these pics.
Comments and suggestions are all welcome
Enjoy......more to come.
Chris.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2007, 06:47 PM
What servos are available to steer, brake that size bike.

I imagine the servos would need geared RS540 engines in them to to supply enough torque to steer and apply the brakes on that size bike.

Looks like you have a real chalenge in front of you!

Brettos.
Feb 24, 2007, 06:55 PM
Village Idiot!
Not to mention a strong failsafe. Looks very promising to me!
Feb 24, 2007, 08:29 PM
Servos come in all size, it would be hard to tell what size you need.

http://www.vantec.com/ssps105.htm
Feb 24, 2007, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
Lets see If I can answer some of these responses. strong failsafe....any failsafe will work its the servo that its attached to that does the physical work. Servos to handle the braking and steering. Steering I am sure can be handled by 1/4scale servos running at 6Volts. example HS755MG...200oz torque I am debating on using twin 1/4scale servos but I honestly think a single will be sufficient(Just look at large scale gas boats..I only use one servo on the steering and it works fine there, as well as on my sailboat to haul in the sails) The brakes on this bike are cable operated and 1/4 scale servo pulling on the brake cables should be good as well,its very similar to pulling a cable for the throttle of a gas engine same sort of tension . As I have learned from others here a bike does not take much persuasion to lean so thats what I am basing that I can use 1/4scale servo(s) for steering. My theory may not be correct, I will know more when I disassemble the brake cables from the brake levers and disconnect the throttle and ignition systems to add a relayed failsafe. I will also attempt to hook up a 1/4scale servo for testing of the steering just to see if it has enough torque. I am seriously thinking of changing out the fuel tank..something that can be hidden under the tank cover more towards the back which will allow me if required to modify the plastic so I can run linkages.
Again all comments suggestions are welcome
this is a learning experience for me too.
Chris.
Last edited by finallyaheli; Feb 24, 2007 at 09:57 PM.
Feb 25, 2007, 08:03 AM
I would be tempted to fit the thottle servo straight to the carb and do with out the cable, and use some sort of return spring on it as an added failsafe in case of a servo malfunction. looks like there plenty of room under the front of the frame for the steering servo and run the linkage to bottom triple tree, not seen a 1/5th with an underslung linkage set up so not to sure it would work to well if at all .brake servo should be an easy instaill. What about crash bars??? with all that weight flicking down you need some heavy duty wire or maybe 8 10 12mm studding possibly more to avoid bending.

Keep us updated it be intresting to see how it goes
Feb 25, 2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks for posting the update ...... looking forward to following the progress .... and the video! You know, I reckon you'll make a success of this project

[email protected]
Feb 25, 2007, 12:07 PM
Thread OP
whitham I was looking at the throttle linkage attached to the carb..seems to be abit different hard to explain but that cable is actually screwed into the carb. I still may just use the cable however it will be shortened extensively, I tried to capture a pic of the carb but the lighting is very poor too far down in the frame and using a flash just causes it to white out reflecting on the aluminum. I still may be able to attach the damper system to the top triple providing I go with a smaller tank and fit it inside the top original tank cover that way I can modify the front of the tank cover to allow linkages to run freely in it. I'm am not too worried about failsafes the plan is to use 3. 2 reg electronic type one on throttle one on brakes the 3rd is relay interupt on the ignition system. No battery power...no ignition.
Thanks for all the great info and comments
Vazz no doubt I will complete it....Wife will be very upset if I don't after spending the money and tearing it apart.
Keep all the ideas coming.
Chris.
Feb 25, 2007, 01:13 PM
scale microlights
i was gonna say not to worry about the failsafe, just run it far away from other people and houses etc (ie industrial estate)
youd easily catch the bike if it took off and be able to press the kill button,

but then i remembered there would be no rider weight on the bike so it will be
ALOT faster without the extra weight and you wont catch it for
s t lol!
Feb 26, 2007, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
Your right at nearly 50lbs I would not even want to attempt to catch it.
Chris.
Feb 26, 2007, 04:36 PM
So what a bout a rider figure or test dummy? lol

Interesting project!! tuning in..

Chris
Feb 26, 2007, 05:42 PM
Interesting!

This is my real "rider" on his pocket bike.
Feb 27, 2007, 12:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
So what a bout a rider figure or test dummy? lol

Interesting project!! tuning in..

Chris
thought about a stuffed gorilla now wouldn't that look good
seriously I will find something that looks good do not know where yet but I will
Chris.
Feb 27, 2007, 05:10 AM
How about these mini motos.

Size is around 1,500mm, and having a 110cc 4 stroke engine.

I want to ride it instead of playing by RC actually.
Feb 27, 2007, 07:07 AM
Watching this with a lot of interest. Was just looking at my minimoto yesterday thinking the same thing.

Plus Ive got access to my local airstrip.

Quick Reply