Feb 23, 2007, 11:47 PM
Discussion

Is There An A123 Build Tutorial

I am seeing a lot of references to A123 cells and the Dewalt 36v packs (DC9360). Does anyone have a tutorial on disassembling these Dewalt packs and reassembling the cells into a pack for R/C aircraft? I just spent about an hour looking for one but to no avail.

If there isn't a tutorial out there would one of the knowledgeable guys please produce one?

I am handy enough to be able to do most any kind of building / rebuilding but I don't want to just blindly jump into tearing apart a $100 battery.

Glen
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2007, 12:15 AM
Night Flyer
Glen,

Here are a few that I've found.

Battery Pack Construction Kit Instructions and you can order a construction kit here.

Disassembly of a DeWalt 36v Battery

How To Build a Battery Pack from A123 Cells

Dissecting DeWalt 36V Packs (A123 Systems)

A123s in SPTs

Have fun!
Phil
Feb 24, 2007, 01:30 AM
Speed cost money.
There was a video on disasembling the dewalt pack. Been looking around for it cause it is now time for me to dissable my first pack.

ANybody got a link. could not find it in a search

Highflier
Feb 24, 2007, 01:32 AM
Phil,

Great links. Just what I was looking for. Don't know why I couldn't find them on my own but glad you had them.

Glen
Feb 24, 2007, 07:31 AM
Night Flyer
Highflier,

The packs are very easy to take apart. Here's a video on building a pack with v28 cells if you wanted to see how to put the cells back together.

Phil
Feb 24, 2007, 08:23 AM
Southern Pride
Yet another A123 build link which seems to get overlooked.

Easy Packs from DeWalt 36V Packs (A123 Systems)
http://www.slkelectronics.com/DeWalt/hints.htm

Charles
Feb 24, 2007, 08:43 AM
Speed cost money.
That was the vid that I was thinking about thanks!!
Buuuuttt, it is Emoli pack I wanted a Dewalt one. oh well I will just use the stills of the other thread and go from there

Highflier
Feb 24, 2007, 10:22 AM
Speed cost money.
Well since the last post I decided to start the packs. I have built NMHI packs so my biggest concern was disassemble.
POC = Peace of cake!!!!

IT took all of about 5 min to have bare cells. I checked the voltage and they were all around 3.65V

1 word of advice, tin snips work great/best for seperating the cells.

Also if you get a torq driver that is the right size rather then the tips that fit into the multi-screw driver it wil be easy.

Anyways. I now have three packs and 1 left over cell that I am waiting for my balance taps (PQ) before I continue. IF you have ever built a pack and are happy with it A123 pack building is not anything to cause hesitation.

Any ideas what to do with the Old case/electronics that were in the pack. Gotta be something worth while for it. Maybe return the case to Dewalt for a rebate LOL

Highflier