Plans for 1/2A Joystick - RC Groups
Feb 23, 2007, 12:57 PM
Discussion

Plans for 1/2A Joystick

Anyone happen to have a plan from the late 70's or early 80's for the 1/2A Joystick?

THere was also a 25 sized plane called the Joystick.

I had onee that I got at an auction for $5 and crashed it twice (first time was trying to fly it way before I had the skills, Second time was after quite a few flights when the cheap Sanwa micro servo decided to throw a brush in the elevator servo...)

I would like to find a plan and build one for electric.

Had a 36 in wingspan, 7" chord, really fat simetrical wing, 2 channel - elevator-aileron. Real rocket ship on a TD and pretty tame with a Black Widow.

Thanks -
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2007, 06:31 PM
RCM has the Joy stick plan you want.
JOY STICK
Our Price $9.00

by Noel Rozelle,

38-1/2" span, 266 sq. in., .049-.051, 2 ch., built-up balsa and plywood, one sheet 23" x 33",

Issue: RCM 4-75,

Then there was a Super Duper Joy Stick

Robert
Feb 23, 2007, 09:00 PM
Cool plane.
Feb 24, 2007, 12:46 PM
Dave, Right you are! This plane is very much like the Half A Chaos. Both planes very simple and light but the Half A Chaos was designed to use the Ace foam wings to make construction simpler.
http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...JZjIe0rX04d6K1

In my opinion the Joy Stick is a better choice for now and especially later as there seems to be only one source for the Ace Mini foam wings... When that source dries up then the Joy Stick with its built up wing will prevail longer. Additionally, the built up wing for the Joy Stick if any care at all is taken should weigh less All up weight.

On a side note if you look at the pic for the Joy Stick on the RC Modeler plans page, they show a nice but wrong Half A model. Only the pic is wrong. all other info on page is correct. The Super Duper joy Stick (also designed by Noel Rozelle) does have the correct picture of the model. Where the picture of the Joy stick might be... Who knows? Heh!

Robert
Feb 24, 2007, 05:32 PM
Another one from the same era designed by Don Dewey. This one is full house - 4-channel:
Mar 03, 2007, 12:11 AM
TEM
TEM
It also looks VERY much like the sig hummer (which I've had partially built for a LONG time!). Whats weird is the plans say 2ch radio gear; .049 to .051 at a flying weight of 22 to 26oz?... Has anyone really every flown with that kind of specs? (that much weight on that little power anyways)
Mar 03, 2007, 12:53 AM
A TD .049/.051 will fly a 22oz model very well. I've seen enough GLHs fly great in that weight/power range. A reed valve .049 on a low wing 28oz model could hardly be very exciting, but in the '70s a lot of people did just that. Just keep in mind that a TD .049 is enormously more powerful than a Babe Bee.
Mar 06, 2007, 04:24 PM

Thanks -

Thanks for that picture of the Joystick. They will fly on a Black Widow, but not very aerobatic, will bite their own tail off with a TeeDee.

Thanks -

Pete
Mar 07, 2007, 08:30 AM

More Comments

Will use this info to recreate the plane I had 25 years ago -

That plane was a 2 channel - Ailerons-elevator with no dihedral. Other chracteristics were pretty much the same.

Does anyone know if there was a commercal versin of the Joystick? I seem to remeber a .20 sized plane that was called the Joystick and a .049 version called the 1/2A Joystick.
Mar 08, 2007, 10:31 AM

Super Duper Joy Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by willin
RCM has the Joy stick plan you want.
JOY STICK

Then there was a Super Duper Joy Stick

Robert
Does anyone have the plans for the Full size version of this plane. I bought one recently and would love to have the plans / reprint of the magazine article on it. This one has probably a 54" or so wingspan and has a K & B Custom .61 engine.

Thanks
Mar 08, 2007, 06:12 PM
Here is the link to the large Joy Stick. It was called the Super Duper Joy Stick
http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...MbiavktTI04592

Here is the link to the half A version. It was simply called the Joy Stick. Same designer both planes.
http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...MbiavktTI4u8o9

Robert
May 16, 2012, 01:59 PM

COUGH COUGH dusty old post!

Hi
Dustin off this old post cuz I found a Joy stick kit on the FEABA^
I, and the guy who taught me this RC habit, made 8 foam wing kits way back when it was a magazine article. still have one foam wing.
Jun 12, 2016, 11:51 PM
flyin' fool
So, are we going to see an electon powered 1/2A Joy Stick or not? You've had plenty of time.

I've still got my plan and the RCM magazine article. Built lots with TD power. Think I'll have to hack out an original size in EPP for a 2822 and 3S 500s.
Jun 13, 2016, 10:19 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
I have plans and or parts for all three sizes. Now just to build them before I die.
Ken
Jun 14, 2016, 10:52 AM
flyin' fool
I was 32 when it was first published. I didn't wait, because you never know!