Sx-4 limited production 40" beginner DLG - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 22, 2007, 11:05 PM
New Product

Sx-4 limited production 40" beginner DLG

Here are some parts being made:

here are the molds for the pod. 2 sets so I can make 2 pods a night during lay-up.

I used the balsa plugs to make hydrocal molds, then I made up some silicone plugs to replace the balsa plug to compress the CF or Kevlar into the mold and to be placed in the vacuum bag.

Should work great.

Materials are 75.00 at this point, I would like to see 119.00 for the kit ready to ship with a bagged one piece wing. If I do not achieve great results with the bagging, there will be a reduced price and you will have to polyacrylic or Zpoxy the 3/4 ounce fg to the wing. Similar to the dL50.

Here are 3 sets of horizontal surfaces glassed before Vacuum bagging.

PLEASE PM if Interested.
Doug
Last edited by dougmontgomery; Feb 23, 2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: add picture
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2007, 09:18 AM
trying to kick the habit
Looks cool Doug. Man, you sure have been making a lot of progress in the past few months. Question abou tthe tail feathers. It looks like the lightening holes in them would make for some relaitvely large divets post baggin. How did they turn out?
Feb 23, 2007, 01:01 PM
Looks great.
Feb 23, 2007, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaholic
Looks cool Doug. Man, you sure have been making a lot of progress in the past few months. Question abou tthe tail feathers. It looks like the lightening holes in them would make for some relaitvely large divets post baggin. How did they turn out?
The tail surfaces are 99% flush with the depron surface, when 3/4 ounce fg is placed on the milar, it does not push into the holes, it is held flat to the surface when vacuum bagged it is barely affected.
Thanks for your support, I would like to get a few of these out there but they are time consuming, I think I have 1.5 hours in 3) kits tail surfaces.

Doug

here they out of the bag and then trimmed and sanded.
Feb 23, 2007, 08:45 PM
Oooo! Those look gorgeous, Doug. Nice job as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery
I would like to get a few of these out there but they are time consuming
Count me in when you're ready!

Best,
Al.
Feb 23, 2007, 09:29 PM
Hey Al,Thank you!!!!You are going to have a bunch to build aren't ya, I think I recall 3 others????
Doug
Feb 23, 2007, 10:23 PM
Let's see... I'm about half-way done with my Gambler wing, still thinking about that 30" SAL design, working on another little SAL glider based off of a $3 foam glider from Tower, my Art Hobby Castor and Graupner Hydroplane have been sitting in their box for a while now, and I have a Guppy and a Slingshot DLG on order... And I just got a FeatherCut hotwire thingy from Tekoa, so there will definitely be other projects in the horizon!

I'm in no rush to finish, though - I love building just as much I love flying!

Best,
Al.
Feb 23, 2007, 10:33 PM
Oh, and an Alula for this summer, and another DLG based on a larger FF glider from Tower......

Best,
Al.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I'm on my club's group order for ECM's Apogee kit... Damn, this is getting a little out of hand!
Last edited by alk509; Feb 23, 2007 at 10:53 PM.
Feb 23, 2007, 11:35 PM

Here is the pod lay-up, 2 at a time

Alk509- Once again thanks for your support. The Apogee 400 is truly going to be a work of art.
Mine will be a trainer, basher that flys well, Anywhere........If people are going to look for perfection at every angle on the SX-4, They better steer away and spend the money for Supreme Quality.

Here is progress...
2 Sx-4 lay-ups tonight

1 layer 5.7 ounce CF 90 degrees
1 inner layer of 2 ounce FG at 45 degrees

lay-up went nice and the silicone plugs in the vacuum bag looked promising, fit very nice also.

doug
Feb 24, 2007, 10:04 AM
trying to kick the habit
Very curious to know what the AUW is going to end up at. Is there a list? Can I be on it
Feb 24, 2007, 10:28 AM
Crashaholic, You can be on it, I am making three right now, one for me- Stumble and lightning both get one.

You can be first on the next batch. I am not sure how long it will take me for wings.
alk509
crashaholic

I will look up the inititial auw of the prototype.
Thanks- Doug
Feb 24, 2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Idiot
Hey Doug,

I'm interested in getting my name on the list too, I like either the orange or yellow tails, any chance you could do a green one for me

thanks,
rich.
Feb 24, 2007, 10:07 PM
Skeletor, limited on colors, but I do have forrest green, but no lime in acrylic paint.
PM me
Doug
Feb 24, 2007, 10:19 PM
Lazy dog
The tail feathers look nice, love the color.

What CF boom are you looking to use? length? Just wondering.
Feb 24, 2007, 10:45 PM
OP- Thanks....The avia sport G-force "skinny" sul 32.5 cut to 28
Pods will be your choice of Black CF or Yellow kevlar
Tail surfaces will Be in:
Yellow black mist
orange black mist
white depron with black mist
Green will be tested

here is the pod out of the bag and ca together, will have canopy cut and the seam fg together tomorrow night.
Doug
Last edited by dougmontgomery; Apr 27, 2007 at 12:52 PM.