Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Thread Tools
Old Apr 01, 2009, 10:38 PM
jkarpy is offline
Find More Posts by jkarpy
jkarpy's Avatar

Wheel pants on X-Gear


When I designed X-Gear, I made provision for wheel pants. How did it work? More pictures please.

James
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2009, 06:06 PM
Tram is offline
Find More Posts by Tram
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
James-

I thought that's what that was for.. You did an AWESOME job..

Old Apr 07, 2009, 06:55 PM
jkarpy is offline
Find More Posts by jkarpy
jkarpy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
James-

I thought that's what that was for.. You did an AWESOME job..

That looks great! I hope it makes it to SEFF.

Where did you get the wheel pants?

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2009, 08:04 PM
Ducati Mechanic is offline
Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Some.. call him Tim...
Ducati Mechanic's Avatar
Very Nice! where did you get those sweet Pants?
Old Apr 07, 2009, 08:12 PM
Tram is offline
Find More Posts by Tram
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
I made them from sheet balsa..
Old Apr 07, 2009, 08:26 PM
Ducati Mechanic is offline
Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Some.. call him Tim...
Ducati Mechanic's Avatar
nice!
Old Apr 07, 2009, 08:31 PM
Tram is offline
Find More Posts by Tram
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
Yeh, they're pretty simple to make..

Draw the outline..
Stack balsa sheet to desired thickness..
Cut out in shape of outline..
Leave "inside" and "outside" layers whole..
Trim inside layers to allow for wheel..
Laminate 1/8th ply on the "inside" of the pant for mounting..

Done..
Old Apr 07, 2009, 10:05 PM
_OZ_ is offline
Find More Posts by _OZ_
It's gone...
_OZ_'s Avatar
Nice pants!
I love the covering job!
Old Apr 07, 2009, 10:08 PM
Tram is offline
Find More Posts by Tram
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
Thanks..
Old Apr 08, 2009, 01:05 PM
Huck is offline
Find More Posts by Huck
Registered User
Huck's Avatar
Tram, thanks for all the info and pictures. That's really cool.

Huck
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:04 PM
Ducati Mechanic is offline
Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Some.. call him Tim...
Ducati Mechanic's Avatar
I'm in the process of joining a new Club. They want me to demo my skills before they take my money .
I was looking at all my planes last night, trying to figure out what one I should use for the demo. 47"Extra?, 40"Edge?, 40"pitts biplane? sea fury?, and then it dawned on me. Why not my X stick. It will take all the pressure off. I love my stix, and I can fly it in my sleep. Its as big as any of my other planes so why not?
Thanks for a great plane J.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:45 PM
jkarpy is offline
Find More Posts by jkarpy
jkarpy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro
I'm in the process of joining a new Club. They want me to demo my skills before they take my money .
I was looking at all my planes last night, trying to figure out what one I should use for the demo. 47"Extra?, 40"Edge?, 40"pitts biplane? sea fury?, and then it dawned on me. Why not my X stick. It will take all the pressure off. I love my stix, and I can fly it in my sleep. Its as big as any of my other planes so why not?
Thanks for a great plane J.
Make sure you do a slow inverted flyby 6" off the deck for them.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:22 PM
Ducati Mechanic is offline
Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Some.. call him Tim...
Ducati Mechanic's Avatar
no problem! then I'll flip it for the landing !
Old Apr 12, 2009, 02:39 PM
jollyroger is online now
Find More Posts by jollyroger
Registered User
I just subscribed to this thread and have a question or two:
Beveling the trailing edge stock: The instructions mention a jig but cannot find it with the other parts. Are both surfaces beveled to match the rib trailing edges?
I have some Ultrcote transparent, will this be too heavy or should I opt for the Lite version? Also the covering from Airborne models mentioned a couple pages back....has anybody used it yet?
So far everything is going together fine. One comment: The laser cutting seems to have scorched the surfaces of some of the wing parts as it appears the laser was running at a higher power level than needed. Too much brown ash on the rib edges and other balsa parts. Although it's easy to sand off, it does require some extra time. The instructions call for basswood spars but balsa was in the kit.
Need some servo recomendations. I have HS-55 and HS-81 to use but if others will work better let me know. Considering HS 56HB or HS-65HB.
Power will be a Himaxx 2025-4200/ gearbox and PQ 3S1500 Lipo. I'm not sure how these batteries are after a couple years inactivity, but I'll test them before using.
All in all a very nice kit, really like the X fuse and landing gear.
BTW I bought this one at Toledo last week.
cheers.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:22 PM
jkarpy is offline
Find More Posts by jkarpy
jkarpy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
I just subscribed to this thread and have a question or two:
Beveling the trailing edge stock: The instructions mention a jig but cannot find it with the other parts. Are both surfaces beveled to match the rib trailing edges?
I have some Ultrcote transparent, will this be too heavy or should I opt for the Lite version? Also the covering from Airborne models mentioned a couple pages back....has anybody used it yet?
So far everything is going together fine. One comment: The laser cutting seems to have scorched the surfaces of some of the wing parts as it appears the laser was running at a higher power level than needed. Too much brown ash on the rib edges and other balsa parts. Although it's easy to sand off, it does require some extra time. The instructions call for basswood spars but balsa was in the kit.
Need some servo recomendations. I have HS-55 and HS-81 to use but if others will work better let me know. Considering HS 56HB or HS-65HB.
Power will be a Himaxx 2025-4200/ gearbox and PQ 3S1500 Lipo. I'm not sure how these batteries are after a couple years inactivity, but I'll test them before using.
All in all a very nice kit, really like the X fuse and landing gear.
BTW I bought this one at Toledo last week.
cheers.
I hope this helps,

The Jig is on the same sheet as the ailerons and trailing edge.

Yes, the bevel does continue the angle of the rib. The bevel will end at the notch for the rib.

Regular ultracote is OK

I will look into the burn issue.

HS-55 servos are OK if you use two for the ailerons.

I have used a similar motor setup geared 7.6:1 with a 12-6 SF prop.

Thank you for purchasing the SSX,

James
RCG Plus Member


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Quick build Slow Stick mattyfly4fun Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 14 Feb 18, 2013 12:12 AM
Discussion Will this Slow Stick build "work"? chapped Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 36 Mar 08, 2010 07:29 PM
Discussion Help me with a brushless Slow Stick build chapped Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 10 Jan 13, 2010 12:27 PM
Sold Millenium X-gear Carbon Fiber Landing gear for Slow Stick Scirocco14 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 2 Jan 11, 2010 11:38 PM