Jul 14, 2008, 04:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone
On a side note.... There seems to be a whole gaggle of SSX planes on the back cover of the HPP SEFF video.... good exposure for you James....
I already got my CD. I will be selling them on my site.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2008, 06:47 PM
Thread OP

Over Powered SSX

I did some testing today and collected some data.

Plane: Slow Stick X (23 oz with battery)
ESC: Castle TB 36
Motor: BP A2217-9 950KV
Prop – APC 11X7 SF

Battery:
Thunderpower Extreme 2200 3S
Watts: 321
Amps: 30.6
Flight characteristics: Unlimited vertical power, good airspeed, overall excellent performance

All measurements are static

I know I am pushing this $20.00 motor over its limit but I am having fun doing it.
Jul 14, 2008, 06:53 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHELBY1
DAM!!!! Ok I got to try out my SSX this weekend, even with some stiff breezes.

Holy carp, it loves the wind. And boy do the controls function a lot quicker then on a stock SS.

I ran a TP 2410-9Y motor with an 18 amp esc and a 10x6 prop, with a 3S2100 pack. Way too much speed and more then enough thrust even at half throttle. Going to go less pitch and maybe more diameter for more acrobatics.

Am I a Happy Camper? You tell me. I just ordered 17 more PARF's for my clubmates for our fly in next month. Ok and I talked James into building me a float kit too.

They do love the wind. I did something I didn't think I would ever do with my SSX yesterday. I have done this with the Copperhead aviation Extra Stiffy when it was tail heavy, but that is a foamy 3D plane and should be able to do the following.

I brought the SSX in at about 10ft off the deck yesterday and put it in a harrier. It just hung there and I worked the sticks and did a vertical landing. A couple of guys at the field even gave me a compliment on the maneuver. The wind was just the right speed not to push it too hard, but keep it parked in the air with some elevator applied. I was all nervous while it came down, but the X-gear touched the ground like a feather. It was silky!

I put the plane up after that I knew when to quit!

Diggs
Jul 14, 2008, 07:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
They do love the wind. I did something I didn't think I would ever do with my SSX yesterday. I have done this with the Copperhead aviation Extra Stiffy when it was tail heavy, but that is a foamy 3D plane and should be able to do the following.

I brought the SSX in at about 10ft off the deck yesterday and put it in a harrier. It just hung there and I worked the sticks and did a vertical landing. A couple of guys at the field even gave me a compliment on the maneuver. The wind was just the right speed not to push it too hard, but keep it parked in the air with some elevator applied. I was all nervous while it came down, but the X-gear touched the ground like a feather. It was silky!

I put the plane up after that I knew when to quit!

Diggs
The SSX is great for the vertical landings. In the rite wind, you can take off the same way.

James
Jul 16, 2008, 09:22 AM
WAHOOOOOO! I think I may have talked James into doing a float kit.

I have one coming to build at our clubs fly in. I'm thinking once the guys see em in action, James is going to be seeing some more folks begging to get kits.

What more could you want, neat kit, looks good on the plane, obvious great customer service, and more then likely a great price.

Would be nice to one shop the kit, verses going to three or more places to get everything you need to build your own.
Jul 17, 2008, 04:54 AM
Hodgehound # 3
James, do you have any spare front wing saddles that I could buy from you? I was flying my SSx yesterday and got too close to some trees in a 15 mph wind and it hit the ground pretty hard

I think I may have you another customer though.... One of the guys I work with is VERY interested in it. Especially after seeing it hit the ground like that and not break into 150 pieces
Jul 17, 2008, 08:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone
James, do you have any spare front wing saddles that I could buy from you? I was flying my SSx yesterday and got too close to some trees in a 15 mph wind and it hit the ground pretty hard

I think I may have you another customer though.... One of the guys I work with is VERY interested in it. Especially after seeing it hit the ground like that and not break into 150 pieces
Sure, give me a call.
Jul 17, 2008, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
The vibration problem is still with me. I had my third (abreaviated) flight yesterday and the problem was so severe that the motor mount sheared off. Fortunately I was able to land in some tall grass, so there was no damage to the Slow Stick X. The picture I have attached tells it all. The body of the motor mount was still in place after this flight so the problem appears to be with the Motor ( Hyperion 2213/20). The vibrationstarted about 1/2 throttle. I was using a third APC (new & balanced) 10 x 5 E prop. Millenium R/C has kindly offered to send a new mount, and I am awaiting a reply from Hyperion to see what they say about this problem.
Rod, when you told me about this problem I dismissed the possibility of it being a problem with the motor mount. I was wrong. I have had some time to do some testing and it turns out that motors pushing over 200 watts are too much for the plastic mount. The good news is that it is easily corrected. I used the X mount on the front of the mount and it stiffened the mount enough to support the more powerful motor. We will be making some improvements to the motor mount.

James
Jul 30, 2008, 03:48 PM
Thread OP

SSX Float Build Part 1

Reserved coming soon
Jul 30, 2008, 03:48 PM
Thread OP

SSX Float Build Part 2

Reserved coming soon
Jul 30, 2008, 03:49 PM
Thread OP

2X SSX Photos and Details

We finished the prototype of the 2X SSX today. We are going to have the maiden flight in the morning. We still have many improvements to make on the design so we are not ready to sell kits yet. Anyway, here is a first look. I will post more info and first flight footage tomorrow.
Motor: BP A4130-8 Brushless Outrunner Motor BP 100 amp ESC

Kv: 380 RPM/V
Max Efficiency: 88%
Max Efficiency Current: 18 - 40A (>84%)
No Load Current: 1.5A @10V
Resistance: 0.063 ohms
Max Current: 60A for 60S
Max Watts: 1300W
Weight: 403 g / 14.2 oz
Size: 50 mm x 65 mm
Shaft Diameter: 6mm
Poles: 14
Model Weight: 3000 - 6000 g / 6.6 - 13.2 lbs

Battery: Thunder Power eXtreme V2 3850 mAh 6 cell

Total flying weight 9 pounds 4 oz

James Karpy
President Millennium R/C
WWW.FlyERC.COM
Last edited by jkarpy; Jul 30, 2008 at 09:54 PM.
Jul 30, 2008, 03:51 PM
Thread OP

SSX 2X Maiden Flight

We did manage to get the maiden flight in today. The 2X SSX performed exceptionally well. The only problem we are seeing was expected. The fuselage has too much flex and twist. It does not seem to affect the flight but it is a concern. We already knew that we needed to redesign a more rigid fuselage.

James Karpy
President Millennium R/C

WWW.FlyERC.COM

Video
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post10258141
Last edited by jkarpy; Jul 31, 2008 at 10:05 PM.
Jul 30, 2008, 04:07 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
AWESOME!!!! can not wait to see this thing.
Jul 30, 2008, 04:20 PM
OOPS
youre killing me!!
Jul 30, 2008, 05:29 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Timing on the SSX 2X might be perfect. I am selling off a ton of stuff on Aug 9 at a swap meet. I will be buying at least 1, and maybe 2 of them.

Diggs

Quick Reply