SLOW-STICK X Build - Page 174 - RC Groups
Dec 25, 2017, 04:01 PM
soap
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2018, 03:41 PM

Impatiently waiting for flying weather!

Here's my recently completed SSX. It's my second built-up balsa aircraft, and was a joy to build. I know I'm not terribly creative with my color scheme but I wanted to keep true to it's namesake after many happy hours on the ol' floppy GWS stick.

I know the photos aren't great, it was really cold and cloudy and I didn't feel like fiddling with my camera - perhaps my stained and varnished plywood tail mount will make up for that.
Feb 02, 2018, 04:59 PM
Looking good! Yea, some nice weather would be super.

L.
Feb 03, 2018, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingCheese
Here's my recently completed SSX. It's my second built-up balsa aircraft, and was a joy to build. I know I'm not terribly creative with my color scheme but I wanted to keep true to it's namesake after many happy hours on the ol' floppy GWS stick.

I know the photos aren't great, it was really cold and cloudy and I didn't feel like fiddling with my camera - perhaps my stained and varnished plywood tail mount will make up for that.
Very nice! Good to see a new post.

Thanks,

James
Mar 11, 2018, 08:43 PM
Stik Flyer
I know this is an old thread but I hope someone can help out with something. I recently acquired on of these fine aircraft from a fellow club member. I am getting it RD for its maiden and would like to make sure I have the control surface
throws correct. Problem is I can’t seem to locate them online. Can someone please let me know what they should be. Thx in Advance...
Mar 11, 2018, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Perky
I know this is an old thread but I hope someone can help out with something. I recently acquired on of these fine aircraft from a fellow club member. I am getting it RD for its maiden and would like to make sure I have the control surface
throws correct. Problem is I canít seem to locate them online. Can someone please let me know what they should be. Thx in Advance...
Documentation is on the first page of this thread.

James
Mar 11, 2018, 11:42 PM
Stik Flyer
Thanks James, found the instructions with the throws in the build .pdf just like you said. When I glazed over the build post, I didn’t follow the links. My bad...
Apr 29, 2018, 12:44 PM
Something Witty Goes Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Perky
Thanks James, found the instructions with the throws in the build .pdf just like you said. When I glazed over the build post, I didnít follow the links. My bad...
Don't feel so bad... so did I...

I just ordered my kit last Thursday, can't wait for it to arrive to start building. Wanna get as much research done on this thing as I can to ensure I don't have any problems :P
Apr 29, 2018, 04:25 PM
Mine made its 5th trip to SEFF this year.

L.
May 03, 2018, 10:35 AM
So my SSX shows up today, I want to use mostly TiteBond to assemble it, is there anyplace that I should instead use CA instead?
May 03, 2018, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack1984
Step-2: Glue SC2-A to wing rib W2. Pay attention to orientation. The circle in SC2-A should be close to W2 and near the bottom. Use SC2-B if you are building the trainer. Remember the apposing wing half is a mirrored version. SC2-A/B should be square to W2

There is no circle for orientation on sc2-b. Does the narrower side go up?
I didn't see anyone chime in about this... SC2-A also doesn't have said circle for orientation. Is there a measurement I can use to figure out the correct orientation?

Edit:
James sent me a message, which said the orientation does not matter anymore
Last edited by Ritlee; May 04, 2018 at 12:08 AM.
May 03, 2018, 06:46 PM
So, Step 1 is completed. I have only 1 sheet that contains SC2-A I believe I need 2 sheets, I have contacted MillenniumRC for the missing piece. I would continue and build 1/2 the wing except I don't know the orientation to install this one piece. Let one half be built

I went to build the tail feathers of the plane, and it says to have the plane completed up to step 25 before continuing? Do I have to? what's so important...
Last edited by Ritlee; May 04, 2018 at 12:09 AM.
May 22, 2018, 08:29 PM
Well... It only took 3 weeks, having toddlers and honey do's can do that to a build...

But I maidened my SSX today, thankfully it was successful... damn Dubro screw down connectors are convenient, but have a habit of failing... didn't realize it until I removed the wing but I lost control of one of my ailerons because one of connectors loosened... I will use some loctite on it before I fly again.

Besides losing control of one of my ailerons, the bird flew beautiful, I couldn't get it to stall and had a landing with maybe 1 inch of rollout, granted I had 7mph winds gusting to 15mph, at times while trying to stall... I ended up flying backwards which was something I did quite often with my old GWS SlowStick.

Pics below, can anyone spot the mistake I did , sadly I did it correctly first, but ah, it doesn't affect the flight Also I have no creativity in the art department, eventually I'll even get some German Crosses on this thing

Quick Reply