Feb 21, 2007, 12:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

ferries and ships

HI

I really want to build either a large scale ship or ferrie, does anyone no of any good kits out there, my search has NOT worked as well as hoped, any info will be FANTASTIC..............
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2007, 12:07 PM
r/c ships and workboats
S perry, welcome to the board. First, what scale or size are you looking into building? Deans Marine has some kits, Scale Ship Yard has some hulls/drawings, Graupner has a ship model kit. Just tell us more of what you are looking for--be specific and we can direct you.
Feb 21, 2007, 01:14 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Well I know you were interested in the MV Celestine by Deans Marine,
but is does help to know what you are looking for.

It could be something similar to these pictured below, or any hundred of other configurations.
Feb 21, 2007, 07:24 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Don't forget the Statin Island Ferry.
Feb 21, 2007, 08:14 PM
If you want to do a New York City Ferry, Model Builder published a construction article by Walter Musciano for a ferry and ferry landing. The plans should be available from Bill Northrop, who used to be the editor of Model Builder and Model Ship Builder.

Try here: Bill Northropís Plan Service
2019 Doral Court
Henderson, NV 89074
(702) 896-2162

Pete G.
Feb 21, 2007, 08:14 PM
Dragon Slayer
Umi:
Thats a great looking ferry, at first I thought it was the Seattle to Edmands ferry.
Feb 21, 2007, 09:25 PM
S Perry,
Before you get too far along with the preliminaries, you might want to see Umi's, and perhaps others', cogent observations regarding the relative stability of this type of model hull. Maybe someone can steer you to the relevant thread where these comments are contained.
Good luck with it; let us see your progress, please.
Bill
Feb 22, 2007, 01:01 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropanach
Umi:
Thats a great looking ferry, at first I thought it was the Seattle to Edmands ferry.
The Kaleetan is the Anacortes - San Juan inter-island ferry.
Feb 22, 2007, 02:48 PM
r/c ships and workboats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
The Kaleetan is the Anacortes - San Juan inter-island ferry.
What? No pictures running into the docks, rocks, or beach?
Feb 22, 2007, 03:02 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S
What? No pictures running into the docks, rocks, or beach?

That's the Elwah.
There's a reason I didn't name the model after that boat.
Feb 22, 2007, 04:41 PM
Dragon Slayer
Sorry Umi:
could not see the name. It's sill a great looking ferry thought.
Feb 22, 2007, 05:11 PM
Where's Pamela?
So, no one has heard from S perry again?
Shame, but we can go on talking ferries all day! Here's one I ran a few issues ago, the "Vacationland", used to run the Mackinac Strait (and that's "mak-in-aw" to you non-Yoopers) before the bridge went in. Built by Alan Hinchman.

PM
Last edited by patmat2350; Feb 22, 2007 at 06:32 PM.
Feb 23, 2007, 12:52 AM
The second one down. Odd looking. The double ended ferry. A marvel of engineering. Really made things easier. You dont have to turn iit around (Im sure yall know that already)/ Ya know my dad is a captain with Washington State Ferries. He drives the big double ended car ferries. Cant remember which one though. But I have ridden on them before and I have been in the engine rooms. An R/C double ended ferry would be a fun build! And pretty fun to drive.
Feb 23, 2007, 12:54 AM
Oh and Taubmans has plans for a Voith-Schneider double ended ferry. That would be fun!
Feb 23, 2007, 03:54 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
The Taubman plan of the AMMIANA looks very much like the Sound of Sleat.
It is also a VS driven ferry. (one of the reasons I have referance pictures of it)

The Molengat and her sister ships would be another neat VS driven ferry.
Two VS drives at each end. My current research is of the Bergensfjord ferrys.
They are really nice looking boats. About the same size as a Superclass ferry, but not quite the passenger space. It runs on four double ended Z drives.

You and your dad are certainly welcome to show up at the Bellevue Regatta in June, and have a look at the few ferries we have there.

Quick Reply