Feb 22, 2007, 04:54 PM
where are our jetpacks!
Thread OP
Yes I know there is no pic of me makeing the canopy.
All I did was build the fuse and the cut the canopy off. in the 2nd last build pic you can see the sides of the fuse have a rounded top edge. In the last build pic you can see I have cut off the canopy and painded it black. I then stuck a block of foam inside the fues and put a plaster board screw in it(I think Americans call it Giprock or Dry wall). that then alowed me to put the brass screw in the top to hold the canopy on.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2007, 11:14 AM
Phlathead
Nice, putting this one on the must build list, thanks! And very interesting folding technique, it dosent get any simpler than that!
May 05, 2007, 05:08 PM
Huh?! well waddayouknow!?
Building a 30" lite version with 3mm dep balsa spars and an ele c20 2500 kv with a 450 mah 3cell from bidprod,bidprod servos, tb9,berg4,will keep ya posted!
May 06, 2007, 09:38 AM
Learner
This is a great looking plane, I had been searhing for a stryker-alike depron plane quite a while back, but gave up.

I'm about to start a build of this but I notice there's a couple of possible mistakes on the plan.

You state that your model had a wingspan of 78cm, but the plan measures out as 88cm
And also the measurement for the point of the carbon spars, is it supposed to be 10cm from the point of the triangle? cause it measures out to 11cm.

Thanks for a great plan to a great looking model. I cant wait to get it in the air. I've recently been looking for a fast plane to build and as soon as I saw this my mind was made up.

Cheers.
Paul.
May 07, 2007, 05:36 PM
Learner
Well, I've shrunk the plans to make it so I can get two airframes out of the sheet of depron that I have got, so it comes out (with the wingtips cut) at a WS of 75cm. This one starts out as a sheet 862.5mm x 345mm.

One thing I cant tell though, is whether or not the fins are supposed to be straight, or if they are suposed to be angled outwards at the front. (I know they are angled out at the tops)
Last edited by MADXF; May 07, 2007 at 06:02 PM.
May 08, 2007, 04:50 PM
I have mine straight up and down,with a little "tow out" dont know if this is good but my plane maidened perfectly with this setup.
Great flyer
my new everyday plane
May 09, 2007, 10:34 AM
Glassman
Very Cool

May 11, 2007, 04:21 PM
okay here the final specs with pics to follow,this plane flies very well.heavy or lite she was predictable.my thanks to this thread and any one else who has helped me with this or any other project. my last few build came out with sweet maidens and i know i could not have done it with out the support of this site and ultimately all of you.

berg4
tb9
ele c20 2500kv
apc 4042
bid product servos
30" ws
auw 7.5 oz
all 3mm dep,balsa, skewer construction.
airframe supports 350 3cell to 850 3 cell with adjustment room for possibly a 1000(purely a guess as the biggest i have right now is the 850
pic soon i promise.
Danno
May 30, 2007, 04:17 AM
Learner
I've been busy and unable to do much on the stingray, but spare time is at hand...

I dont have a motor for this thing yet, I'm eyeing off the new 1700kv 'blue wonder' from UH. How do you think this will go on a 5x3? what sort of amp draw could I expect? I can only afford 10-12amps from the batteries I have.

Cheers.
Paul.
May 31, 2007, 02:22 AM
you should be fine
Jun 10, 2007, 09:04 PM
Learner
Well I've got it finished and maidened..... But thanks to a faulty GWS pico servo, the maiden flight lasted about 5 seconds. Wasnt a bad crash, totalled the front of it but its all repaired and ready for another try.

I ended up using a CD-ROM motor I had wound for a hydrofoam. My thrust rig shows 260grams on an APCE 5x5. Amps unknown but the motor did not get warm during the tests so I expect somewhere around the 7 Amp mark.
Using the Go-brushless thrust calculator this gives about 120km/h pitch speed.

These are the pre-maiden shots (always good to get in before any crashes).
Jun 11, 2007, 07:16 AM
Many thanks for providing plans and build guide for this.
I must allocate some time to build one of these out of 2mm correx!

Just one question about the build. How deep and what shape is the wing profile?
You said to keep the profile mostly symmetrical?
I've built a Mugi & Dazi before and had a 25-30mm gap between bottom and top of the wing with the underneath mostly flat.
Jun 11, 2007, 07:55 AM
Learner
Mine ended up with a very small gap probably only about 15mm (mine was a scaled down version though) and pretty much a completely flat bottom, and still had a very nice power-off glide.
Jun 15, 2007, 01:40 AM
heres some pics
Jun 15, 2007, 05:31 AM
Time for another motto!
Get rid of all that isolating foam around your batteries. It may help a little in winter when it is really cold, but in summer you are just asking for a thermal runaway that way. The best way to protect your pack is not to crash, or use A123, Li-ion or NiMH cells. Heavier but sturdier.

Quick Reply