Feb 21, 2007, 12:20 AM
Will fly for Parts!!!
Thread OP
Discussion

to buy or not to buy the blade cx2

ok,

im lookin for a first heli and I think the blade cx2 is a good one for me. Ive done alot of reading on the net and these forums...so if you would, please try to convince me to buy or not buy the cx2.

i think i found a good deal at amainhobies
cx2 at amainhobbies.com

the blades are $4 for two sets and it even has a 5th channel wich I hope to run a winch on(is this possible? i can make a servo to be continuos turning instead of a certain range look here for instuctions ive done it but lost one ofe the rods the gears spin on this applies to any normal servo(i guess) .) plus the hop-ups and betteries are in good supply there to!

UPDATE also, which is the better choice, the original bcx,or bcx2, ive bee reading and...well...im startin to think.
Last edited by airhead225; Feb 22, 2007 at 04:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2007, 12:26 AM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
Get the CX2 try here http://www.myrcsupply.net/index.php?...oducts_id=4399
Feb 21, 2007, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead225
ok,
5th channel wich I hope to run a winch on(is this possible? i can make a servo to be continuos turning instead of a certain range look here for instuctions ive done it but lost one ofe the rods the gears spin on there to!
A winch on a heli???,
I've heard of winches on R/C rock crawlers but never a heli.

Well never mind... I retrack my statement, the coast gaurd heli's uses them to hoist people up,...But a winch on a R/C heli still seems funny. I'm planning on using the 5 channel for a spot light or even a servo operated search light.

But any ways, blade CX2 is the way to go..... 2 major reasons why I bought a blade CX again...
1. Parts avaibility
2. DSM, no gliches, no long antenna.
Feb 21, 2007, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdracer
A winch on a heli???,
I've heard of winches on R/C rock crawlers but never a heli.

Well never mind... I retrack my statement, the coast gaurd heli's uses them to hoist people up,...But a winch on a R/C heli still seems funny. I'm planning on using the 5 channel for a spot light or even a servo operated search light.

But any ways, blade CX2 is the way to go..... 2 major reasons why I bought a blade CX again...
1. Parts avaibility
2. DSM, no gliches, no long antenna.
I own both a BCX2 and the "newer" version Esky lama V3 ($99 shipped from helidirect.com) and have to say I like the V3 better, more responsive, longer flight times and much less time for battery recharging. No glitching from new 4in1 and aside from the long antenna, best bang for the buck out there, IMO. Parts are cheap online and only 3 days to your door!
Feb 21, 2007, 12:06 PM
The Shadows are coming!
Apart from the performance/flight characteristics side the question is whether you fly solo or in a group. If your on your own, interference and frequency clash won't worry you but if flying with a group then the CX2 is the way to go - the radio system simply can't be "got at".

Good luck
Feb 21, 2007, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirion
Apart from the performance/flight characteristics side the question is whether you fly solo or in a group. If your on your own, interference and frequency clash won't worry you but if flying with a group then the CX2 is the way to go - the radio system simply can't be "got at".

Good luck
Good point to consider Sirion! I am a "solo" flyer and therefore no problems for me personally. The BCX2 would be the way to go for those that do a lot of group event type flying, for sure.
Feb 21, 2007, 01:46 PM
The Shadows are coming!
Airhead: The other point to consider on the performance side is the overall stability of the heli. The comment I've had is that the CX2 is a very stable "platform" especially the rudder/piezo gyro combo that has an apparent big improvement over the "Twister" Medivacs, etc but I understand the new Lama V3, as CCBusa indicates, is also very good. Perhaps someone with exposure to a few types can comment further.

I know from these forums that there is a great number of options to mod the CX2, together with comment on the positive effects or otherwise. If your into that scene then that's another factor but for myself I'll do the minimum - like motor heat sinks, and a few cosmetics, to get a satisfying buzz around our big indoor venue - a cycling dome - fool around with bling bling lights and go home happy each time with minimal damage.

My main prob with the CX2 is that I need to shift servo/pushrod arrangements to get a bit more positive forward flight or fast forward flight (FFF), which it cannot on the factory settings. I'd be interested in how the Lama V3 performs in that area and whether mods are necessary. It seems that the contra rotor helis are inherently so stable that getting them to move in big spaces is a challenge.
Feb 21, 2007, 02:00 PM

I'm a newbie also and I recommend..

the Lama V3 (the newer version). I have both the BCX2 and the Lama V3 and I prefer the Lama V3....more stable, much shorter charge times...just more 'fun'...BCX2 is 'cool', but I wish I would have just got the Lama V3....I have beaten the heck out of it and it keeps coming back for more...save $100, get the Lama and use the $100 for a future FP or CP heli...
Feb 21, 2007, 02:07 PM
The Shadows are coming!
mcf34: Apparently they tolerate crashes better - is that because of a hinged blade system?

Someone thought that the hinges disadvantaged FFF but that wouldn't matter if you're flying in a limited area like the bathroom .

Is the flybar arrangement on the Lama the same as the CX2 and if so have you taken out the flybar cinching screw to reduce crash damage?

You mentioned charge time. Does the Lama have Li-Po's? What capacity are they and can you beat the 1hr 50min for the Cx2?

Sirion
Feb 21, 2007, 02:07 PM
I had the same question before buying my Blade BCX2. I went with the Blade mostly for 2 reasons. One, I have 2 LHSs that stock parts (Lama is online only). Two, the radio.

I got my Blade at my LHS and they gave me a great discount so the price difference was much less than the usual $100.

I'm very happy with the Blade BCX2!
Feb 21, 2007, 02:12 PM
The Shadows are coming!
Veloc8: Didn't know that. It seems that a lot of staff at the bigger LHS's here have been so impressed with the CX2 that they buy one themselves - and fly demos around the shop without trouble.
Feb 21, 2007, 02:39 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Quote:
Someone thought that the hinges disadvantaged FFF but that wouldn't matter if you're flying in a limited area like the bathroom .
Sirion, don't you have an EXHAUST FAN in there??!?
Feb 21, 2007, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Veloc8: Didn't know that. It seems that a lot of staff at the bigger LHS's here have been so impressed with the CX2 that they buy one themselves - and fly demos around the shop without trouble.
That's true. Both my LHSs employees have BCX2s and both carry a variety of contra-helis.
Feb 21, 2007, 03:37 PM
Will fly for Parts!!!
Thread OP
thanks for the opinions......the xrb or whatever that lama thing is just doesnt appeal like the cx2. i can get the heli(cx2),extra batteries, a bunch of blades, and the upgrades for $220. and lama copters I always thought were ugly(imho) too

also im not sure about my LHS i dont think they have much in the way of helis but i would have to pay taxes(oh no!) for whatever i buy too.(a main hobbies has thestufff pretty cheap i think with most items free snail mail(huh?) shipping
Last edited by airhead225; Feb 21, 2007 at 07:42 PM.
Feb 21, 2007, 03:56 PM
Sirion, the lama V3 has the same capacity lipo as the BCX2 and uses the same flybar as well. Charge time on my BCX2 is 1 hour 30 minutes whereas with my Lama(s), it averages 45 minutes. Flight response is like comparing a bus (BCX2) to a sports car (V3). I typically get 12 minute flights from the V3 and almost that with the BCX2. Attached is a vid of me just taking it easy around the house. She'll do much more when pressed to do so, but with all coaxials, priority is hovering stability rather than FFF and stunting.

Flight of the Esky Lama V3 with new 0705B 4in1. (2 min 16 sec)

Quick Reply