Oct 02, 2002, 08:22 PM
Name it, I've crashed it
Thread OP

Lawn Dart - 2 1/2 great flights today on the EStreak

Learned "another" lesson today. Epoxy alone is not enough to hold a wing on a EStreak Note the piece of wood still attached to the wing.

This plane has survived being broke in half but I don't think the fuse is going to be worth the effort this time. Middle of 3rd flight coming out of a tight diving turn and next thing I see is the wing fluttering down like a feather (no damage at all). Was high enough to actually have time to think about cutting the motor and tried to use the elevator to decrease the dive angle (yea right). All the electronics also survived.

Oh well. This was an awesome plane. Really enjoyed the many flights that I had. Good thing that I have another EStreak kit on the shelf in case I want to give it another shot.
Last edited by Bill Germanson; Oct 02, 2002 at 08:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2002, 08:27 PM
Name it, I've crashed it
Thread OP
Carnage picture 2
Oct 02, 2002, 08:57 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Hi Bill

Sorry to hear about this. The wing looks intact . Maybe later on you'll feel like building a new fuse from the plans ? Which power setup did you use ? I have a Mega 22-20-4 waiting for mine.
Oct 02, 2002, 09:25 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Hi Bill,
OUCH !! Sorry to hear about your wing departing the fuselage mid-flight :-(
Since the wing is OK, you might consider getting a fiberglass fuselage (replacement part for the new ARF version) as a quick way to get back in the air. Anyway, E'streaks are great ....you must have another.
Ed
Oct 03, 2002, 09:46 AM
Sorry bill - I felt that !!!
I think an evenings graft over the fuz plans should get a new nose re-done, but would also like to try the GF fuz so for <$40 I agree with Ed try it !! ( and the nose is pre- faired ) Mark
Oct 03, 2002, 09:48 AM
Name it, I've crashed it
Thread OP
Al, Yes the wing is intact. I'm running (was) a Magnetic Mayhem with a 8x4.5 folder. The plane was pretty quick (my guess is 50-55 in level flight) and I had a Aveox 1406/3Y that I was ready to drop in. That Mega 22/20 should make it run well. Is your EStreak a wood kit or the ARF version?

Ed and Mark, Thanks for the idea about using the ElectroStreak ARF fuselage with my wing. Have you heard that this will work? I called Tower this morning and they could not confirm that it would fit right to it.

Mark, LOL that was funny. Probably did feel it over there. It was quite a puff of dirt when it hit. I really hate that delay between when they hit and when you hear it. Never know how load the CRACK is going to be.

Thanks guys,

Bill
Last edited by Bill Germanson; Oct 03, 2002 at 09:50 AM.
Oct 03, 2002, 10:12 AM
Sorry about your mishap, Bill.

For what it's worth, that fuse definitely could be rebuilt. I'm curious about that failure (the wing departing). It looks like the epoxy didn't fail, but the balsa that the wing mounting block was glued to did. How tight a turn were you pulling?

I know I've wrung the heck out of mine and would hate to have the wing say sayonara.

Brian Nixon
Oct 03, 2002, 11:40 AM
Name it, I've crashed it
Thread OP
Brian, There is a little bit of the surface of the plywood (back) and balsa (sides) still stuck to the epoxy but not a lot. I'll look at it closer again tonight. In a failure don't you get a lot of wood on the glue?

Vertical, half roll, slight then hard up elevator in the dive then part where I was glad that I was flying at the deserted business park instead of the local flying field. I was flying the same way in the previous 2 flights but with the 8xCP1700SCR's (13 oz) with no problem, or should I say I don't think that it was failing yet. The half flight was with a 8xCP2400SCR brick (17ozs). Thinking about it I would say that was about a 5G turn. (Smile on my face thinking about that!).

Any thoughts?

BTW - Guess you guys can see the plywood patches from when I broke it in half previously. That stuff did not break

Bill
Last edited by Bill Germanson; Oct 03, 2002 at 12:52 PM.
Oct 03, 2002, 12:27 PM
As I recall, the plywood wing mount block was the one and only place in the instructions that advised the use of epoxy and actually building a small fillet (puddle) around the joint.

Your glue joint looks good--from the photo you can see balsa around the edge of the ply wing block. When the wing departed, it took the balsa around the wing block with it.

I wonder if your previous mishap might have loosened things up a bit. I know I usually try to check the wing mount block and the bolt threads before every flying session.

In any case, get your E-Streak back up in the air where it belongs.
Oct 03, 2002, 12:54 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
I've been in the habbit of taking a strip of CF ribbon and wrapping it over joiners like this and down the sides of the fuselage to distribute the load and insure that the ply can't separate. I used this most recently in my E-3D on the landing gear plate. Works great.

sorry for your loss. Your wing looks fine, why not cut the rear portion of the fuse off clean after the damage and build a new front section from the plans?

Al
Oct 03, 2002, 02:58 PM

Re-Build!!!!!!

My Estreak is over 10 years old and still going strong--the wing and tail, that is! I've completely rebuilt the forward fuse twice now....and recovered the whole airframe. It can be done!

She deserves a second (or third) chance. The plans are good and show all the formers--start cutting! It will make the hurt go away.

Eric
Oct 03, 2002, 03:37 PM
You know, some things just belong together and don't work well apart. A fuselage and a wing. Bogey and Bacall. Gin and tonic. I could go on...
Oct 03, 2002, 04:14 PM
Bill:

Sorry for your loss. I believe the appropriate grieving period is about one flying session...then get to work. I was there when Eric's augered in and he was inconsolable for a whole day, even though the crash wasn't his fault (battery pack failure). We repaired my nose crush in one day and had it back in the air the next day, but there were two of us assigned to that repair job.

You'll feel lots better soon. If it were me, I'd go for the ARF fiberglass fuse option from GP and get her back in the air.

Gary
Oct 03, 2002, 08:34 PM
Name it, I've crashed it
Thread OP
Thanks everybody. Guess due to the fact that all of the electronics survived and that I was able to maiden my Crazy Max today (2 flights), I'm feeling better.

I did recheck the wing mounting block and there is more wood than I initially remembered still stuck to the wood. Maybe it did get weakened in the last crash but I think that I replaced it becuase I had to.

Al, I really like the CF tape idea. Where do you get the tape?

I think I would like to try the ARF fuse idea to get back in the air. Has anybody seen or heard of the kit wing getting put to the ARF fuse? Does it fit without much work?

Thanks again guys,

Bill
Oct 03, 2002, 08:51 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
First flights on a new model go a long way towards easing the pain ! It's so exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time.

Your idea of mating your wing to an arf fuse sounds interesting. Keep us informed.

I'm looking forward to getting mine in the air... got it "previously owned" from a fellow e zoner. Just needs motor, servos, and radio gear installed.....where does the time go ?

Quick Reply