Oct 23, 2007, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
Hoping to string the last aerials tonite!
Maybe, weather permitting, in the water tomorrow!

Pat
Pat -

Fingers crossed that she keeps an even trim and that there are no cracks below the waterline....

I can't wait to see the finished product in the water. With size, detailing, and paint job you have done, the photoshop possibilities (making the ship look like its on open ocean) are massive, if you are so inclined....
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2007, 06:56 PM
Pat, its been a long road to this point. You've put in alot of hard work and have a museum quality model. Now comes the payoff. Remember to take lots of pictures!!
Oct 26, 2007, 04:00 AM
Look at the Japanese's work on Yamato 1/200

http://www.geocities.jp/dancyou3/yamato0.html

The Japanese claimed that the deck of Yamato is grey at the time it was sunk. Look at the pictures, it said that Jap vessel deck turn grey after few months in sea. The pictures showed new deck color vs old deck color

http://homepage1.nifty.com/watakan/yamato/
Oct 26, 2007, 06:08 AM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
And after Oct 1944, it was stained almost black with soot from the stack. I can't believe that it returned to a natural grey after that, so I've made it quite dark on my Ten-go model.

BTW, launch date has been pushed out to this weekend...

PM
Oct 26, 2007, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchua
Look at the Japanese's work on Yamato 1/200

http://www.geocities.jp/dancyou3/yamato0.html

The Japanese claimed that the deck of Yamato is grey at the time it was sunk. Look at the pictures, it said that Jap vessel deck turn grey after few months in sea. The pictures showed new deck color vs old deck color

http://homepage1.nifty.com/watakan/yamato/
Yeah, that Japanese dude went nutso with his Yammie! Hat's off to him.

Wonder where he got all the photoetch stuff from - its not Loren Perry's. (But he doesn't have metal barrels like I do ). And the little men - where in the hey did he find them? The dude is sick. That's a level of detail I would expect on the Tien Jie kit rather than on the Nichimo!

The Japanese showed the deck in the movie to be the nice teak color for the final mission - (I believe that it had been painted a darker color for Leyte in Oct 1944. Hence the confusion over the deck colors.) The research that the Japanese did for that movie (2005) which can be seen in the accompanying 1/700 Takara models - the pre-painted 'cut-away' ones) - brought our knowledge of what the ship looked like in April 1945 as close to the real thing as it will ever get. They took Skulski's work and just built upon it - interviewing survivors, poring through archives, enhancing the few photos remaining, etc.) Her deck was re-painted (or stripped and stained) in the lighter color for the final mission, and I prefer to think that the Japanese - sticklers for accuracy that they are - got it right in their 2005 reconstruction for the film.

One problem that I have with the 'weathered' look of the Yamato in general is that, as the flagship of the IJN, it was scrubbed and painted every time it was back in Kure (see Spurr's book "A Glorious Way to Die - The Kamikaze Mission of The Battleship Yamato") - and she had 6 months between the Leyte Gulf sortie and Ten-Go. Heck, they even painted the Chysanthemum crest on the smoke stack - bizarre!!

So, in the absence of color photos (or ANY photos other than the few grainy B & W US Navy shots) I prefer to think that she went to the bottom as pristine as she had been when she was launched.

Taking nothing away from the extra weathering work many of you modelers do - I've never tried it and my hat's off to you guys - but this ship ought to be presented in all the glory that she was in my opinion.

She was not a workhorse fighting ship bearing the marks of all her battles, after all - she was, as the Japanese sailors called her, "The Hotel Yamato", Yamamoto's flagship, the pride of the fleet, a "national treasure" - hence her being held in reserve til the end of the war, and - given her reputation, size and NAME ("Yamato" is a poetic term for Japan - the Japanese have been known as "The Yamato people" since the Middle Ages) - the very symbol of Japan's Naval power.

So they gussied her up in her finest for her funeral. Or ritual sacrifice. Bizarre and hard to believe from our Western standpoint, for sure - but that was the Japanese way.

Of course, every modeler has the right to - and SHOULD - build his ship as his own artistic spirit moves him. So more power to all you weathering customizers. There's room for all sorts of Yamato build-ups - if they all looked exactly alike they'd be boring (just like people).

For me, though, being the historian by training that I am, historical accuracy will always trump everything else. So if (or when) I finally get to my own Tien Jie Yamato, it will look quite a bit different - but probably not nearly as good as Pat's!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait for the final photos, Pat - you are teasing us!!!!
Oct 27, 2007, 02:41 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Did someone say it's sunny and warm in California?
Rain and howling wind today here in Michigan. Hoping for accuracy in the "mostly sunny" forecast for tomorow.

Yammie is about ready to go. Ran a final ballast adjustment now that all the hardware is aboard... floats just a tad high to the waterline, that's fine. 49.5 lbs total did the job, which includes 15 lbs of ballast and 7.5 lbs of batteries.

PM
Oct 27, 2007, 06:04 PM
Patmat,

It looks spectacular. I read your article and noted some of the ill fitting items you mentioned. You sure have done a great job on this. *Tips hat*
Oct 27, 2007, 07:07 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Thanks. Interestingly enough, this wasn't my first choice. When it was decided that a battleship kit story was needed, I wanted to go with a certain other kit from an earlier period and a bit more British in persuasion... and it would likely have been a more satisfying build. Then I heard that someone else had similar (nay, identical) plans, but to run in a competing magazine!
I then suggested the TJ Yamato, even though there are probably a lot of readers who don't care for the Imperial Japanese Navy. Ironically, the other magazine disappeared without ever running the competing story. Hopefully the story will see the light of day, as it's a fine fine build...

PM
Oct 27, 2007, 10:55 PM
Pat, I'm speechless. She is MAGNIFICENT!!!!

Can't wait to see photos of her first voyage!! Can you upload some video of her first sailing onto Youtube??????

Oct 27, 2007, 11:02 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
if I had a video camera...
Oct 28, 2007, 12:57 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
As promised- Yamato On The Water.

Was I asking about California weather? Fuggitaboutit. Clear crisp dry autumn day in Michigan, you can't beat this!

Perfect ballast, top speed with the four 24v 500's on 12v was a bit fast to the eye, but just barely makes the appropriate bow wave... I'm happy. Turns ok, even "better than a battleship", without resort to any differential steering.

PM
Oct 28, 2007, 01:06 PM
Cmdr. Reid 48th Fleet
SWEET!!!! Looks great out on the water... sort of rough seas out there (how’d she do?) Great job!
Oct 28, 2007, 01:12 PM
Great Work, Pat!! Absolutely Unmatched!!

Oct 28, 2007, 01:57 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Fantastic work Pat,
Thanks for taking us from start to finish over the last eight months.

How about a summary of your experience, and opinions on the kit.
Is this "the" kit to buy, good bad, improvements,...
We can read back into the details an aftermarket purchases, I think this
is the second kit you've shipped out of Asia? The tug supply boat being one other I recall.

Quick Reply