Build-off: FACETMOBIL FMX-4 - RC Groups
Feb 16, 2007, 08:50 AM
Contest

Build-off: FACETMOBIL FMX-4

Again, I am building strange looking plane. The FACETMOBIL FMX-4 is as strange as they come. My model will have 26 wingspan and will be 32 long. The power will be ASTRO 05 brushless motor I had laying around for number of years.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2007, 09:28 AM

The King of Delta's!

Hi Laddie!

I think you got a real sweet spot in your heart for Delta's - Have you ever designed/built a Delta Dyke?
Feb 16, 2007, 10:11 AM
I did build Dyke Delta. Two of them at the same time. One was powered by four stroke OS .29 and other by geared ASTRO 15. Both of them were good flyers.
Feb 16, 2007, 01:03 PM
Starting to build the model mostly using 1/4 x 3/16 balsa.
Feb 16, 2007, 02:01 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Off topic I know, but a friend of mine down here built your Delta Dyke recently, says it flies like an absolute dream! I'm sure the facetmobile will go just as well.
Feb 16, 2007, 06:24 PM
Suspended Account
Popular science featured this plane around a year or 2 ago. Interesting. The designer, Barnaby Wainfan, an aerodynamicist, is rebuilding his. A testament to that it can have a glide survivable landing with an engine out.

On the way to our club field, there is a Facetmobile building. I need to get a pic. It is litterally a massive (100 foot across) structure that is all metal covered, and built to look like this plane.

Bill
Feb 16, 2007, 07:22 PM
More pictures
Feb 16, 2007, 07:50 PM
Electric Coolhunter
The Facetmobile is a great flyer...I really like my slightly smaller EAM Facetmobile, from the kit they sell.

I enjoy triming the elevator to a set position and flying touch and go circuits with nothing but throttle and roll control....
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Feb 16, 2007, 08:39 PM
Senile Member
Great looking build, Laddie. I will be watching with interest. I had thoughts of building one of these myself. I find the aircraft simply facetnating

Larry
Feb 16, 2007, 09:48 PM
Wow. I only came close to building two full size planes, the Spacewalker and the Delta Dyke. Now I've seen both of them modeled.

charlie
Feb 17, 2007, 01:43 AM
Suspended Account
Here's the Jan 2005 Popular Science article.
This delta does look like it could be a mass-produced method of feasible personal transportation, which is what the series of articles was about.

The next page of the article states that the designer's primary influence was the Dyke Delta.

Bill
Feb 17, 2007, 08:16 AM
I like foam
Keep up the good work with the rest of the build. It looks like the plane will be quite a floater. Balsa sticks aren't my thing but it sure does look great.

I remember that PopSci article too. What a neat plane to model.
Feb 17, 2007, 08:19 AM
m,

This one looks like it's made for a foam build

charlie
Feb 17, 2007, 10:04 AM
Senile Member
Charlie, it would probably be easier to build with foam, and it has been done. But IMHO balsa sticks are lighter so it would have a lighter wing loading thus better flying characteristics. Besides, the full scale was fabric covered steel tube and building a covered frame structure is the only way to do it justice.

Here is a link to a free 1/48 card model. And, yes, when properly trimmed it does fly.

Larry
Feb 17, 2007, 10:16 AM
More progress